Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Russia World cup

Comments

• personally I don't think we should go but I've been thinking that ever since their 'liberation' of the Crimea. also don't think we should go to Qatar as both bids are tainted with corruption.

we wouldn't be discussing these decisions if FIFA weren't corrupt. they have a lot to answer for.

Or maybe if nations didnt go around the world attempting to murder people on foreign soil or help drop chemical bombs on children.
    true but if say Portugal and Spain or Belgium and the Netherlands had won it we wouldn't be discussing boycotting it.
  • Saudi Arabia will mysteriously be attacked next as a payback and we'll have an old school proxy weapons testing moshpit involving non Ronaldos nobodies to ensure all egos are intact and world cup is untouched.
  • MrOneLung said:

Football has got fuck all to do with world politics.
    The cup goes ahead will all the teams who qualified.

In a perfect world yes.
    In this world 100% no.
  • If western democratic countries send their football teams to the World Cup while the governments of those countries are messing around with missile attacks and retaliatory attacks it really will show just how shallow and superficial we have all become.

This World Cup is all about Putin and a stage for his megalomania and the West should show him exactly what we think of him.

The government is not in charge of the football team. The government are not sending the team. The FA are sending the team. They are OUR representatives not the governments.
    MrOneLung said:

If western democratic countries send their football teams to the World Cup while the governments of those countries are messing around with missile attacks and retaliatory attacks it really will show just how shallow and superficial we have all become.

This World Cup is all about Putin and a stage for his megalomania and the West should show him exactly what we think of him.

The government is not in charge of the football team. The government are not sending the team. The FA are sending the team. They are OUR representatives not the governments.
    No government would be daft enough to say ‘you can’t go’ but their are ways and means to make it very difficult to go - sanctions are the simplest tool, try buying currency or getting a flight, ship or train if that happens...and maybe avoid getting a Russian stamp in your passport if you do get there
  • MrOneLung said:

If western democratic countries send their football teams to the World Cup while the governments of those countries are messing around with missile attacks and retaliatory attacks it really will show just how shallow and superficial we have all become.

Our government has the responsibility to protect its citizens which trumps (pun not intended) sport.
  • Sponsored links:

• Solidgone said:

MrOneLung said:

Our government has the responsibility to protect its citizens which trumps (pun not intended) sport.
    Our citizens are not at risk at the World Cup.
  • Maybe it’s time for FIFA to have a think about the safety of the fans a little more than they normally do. Not just our fat middle aged shaven headed northern prat’s but all nationalities. Absolute madness to host the World Cup there in the first place.
  • MrOneLung said:

Solidgone said:

MrOneLung said:

Except from other fans
  • MrOneLung said:

Solidgone said:

MrOneLung said:

Pretty sure the state sponsored hooligans think otherwise.
  • MrOneLung said:

Well we wouldn’t want death, destruction and preening megalomania to get in the way of our footie would we.

• MrOneLung said:

Well we wouldn’t want death, destruction and preening megalomania to get in the way of our footie would we.

Makes dribbling tricky...
  • Just highlights what a absolute joke it was giving Russia the nod in the first place.
  • MrOneLung said:

Solidgone said:

MrOneLung said:

If the situation escalates I think the foreign office will strongly advise not to travel that’s if planes have not already cancelled flights to/from Russia. Anyway, let’s hope common sense prevails and we can all be friends again :smile:
  • edited April 2018
    As long as we don't get world war 3 this summer instead i'll accept not having a world cup!

In all seriousness though it would need a co-ordinated pull-out from a few teams to really effect the world cup - it's not like there hasn't been precidents set (in the Olympics for example) and they were still held.
  • Had been planning on visiting Russia this summer, after the World Cup, to do the trans-siberian railway but changed my mind recently due to the growing tension. Doubt the World Cup will be affected but wouldn't fancy travelling out there myself. Wonder if people who have booked it are having second thoughts now.
  • Sponsored links:

• As ever it's ordinary people who are used for the ends of our 'betters'.
    When all trade with Russia is banned I'll go along with not going to the WC.
    But I suspect money interests won't be expected to take a hit, or if they do it'll be miniscule.
  • iainment said:

As ever it's ordinary people who are used for the ends of our 'betters'.
    But I suspect money interests won't be expected to take a hit, or if they do it'll be miniscule.

What trade do we do with Russia anyway? They gave us Roman Abramovic, 80% vodka and Polonium, we gave them retro football violence and Norman Wisdom
  • ads said:

iainment said:

What trade do we do with Russia anyway? They gave us Roman Abramovic, 80% vodka and Polonium, we gave them retro football violence and Norman Wisdom
    Norman Wisdom was Albania.
  • ads said:

iainment said:

Might be a cold winter if we stop buying gas off them...
  • ads said:

iainment said:

Might be a cold winter if we stop buying gas off them...
    We buy most of our gas off of Norway.
  • ads said:

iainment said:

And Land Rover and Jaguar and Bentley and Rolls Royce and Johnnie Walker and Gordons Gin....the list goes on.
    How many cars do we import from Russia?
  • What about all the fans who have paid thousands to go. Who would cover that expense if our FA or Govt decide to pull us out? Genuine question.

I’m on about ticket money as much as travel (which may be covered by insurance?)

I’ve paid £600 for potential semi and final tickets if England make it (don’t laugh) - would I get that back from FIFA if we boycott, like I would have if England didn’t make the final??
  • What about all the fans who have paid thousands to go. Who would cover that expense if our FA or Govt decide to pull us out? Genuine question.

I’m on about ticket money as much as travel (which may be covered by insurance?)

I’ve paid £600 for potential semi and final tickets if England make it (don’t laugh) - would I get that back from FIFA if we boycott, like I would have if England didn’t make the final??

You any good at whistling?
  • Glad I visited Russia last summer. Wouldn't go now.