Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Russia World cup

Anyone thinking there is a possibility this might not happen.

Sincerely hope my doubts are far fetched but this is my favourite sporting event with the masters.

Comments

• Looking unlikely at the moment.
  • It'll happen because FIFA are so arrogant they wont let it be stopped.

I dont think England will withdraw either as potentially see FIFA suspending us as a result
  • I’d honestly rather watch us lose 4-0 to Panama than have no World Cup

Football is football
    Keep it away from politics
  • I'm sure the tournament will happen and I also don't think we will withdraw (if USA had qualified I wouldn't have put it past them though).

Is there any possibility Putin could put restrictions on the team entering the country himself though?
  • edited April 2018

It'll happen because FIFA are so arrogant they wont let it be stopped.

I dont think England will withdraw either as potentially see FIFA suspending us as a result

It would only take something as simple as Trump signing a temporary Presidential sanction on a key target such as Russian TV and FIFA would probably have to pull the World Cup. No worldwide broadcast, no sponsors, no payments, no World Cup.
  • Why on earth would it be cancelled?
  • It'll happen because FIFA are so arrogant they wont let it be stopped.

It would only take something as simple as Trump signing a temporary Presidential sanction on a key target such as Russian TV and FIFA would probably have to pull the World Cup. No worldwide broadcast, no sponsors, no payments, no World Cup.
    I don’t think it’s stretching the imagination too far to think Trump would try to embarrass the Russians any way he can at present. Major sponsorship comes from US companies and no doubt broadcasters will have to use US owned infrastructure.
  • edited April 2018

Why on earth would it be cancelled?

Well if I'm not being whoooshed, we and our puppet masters the US of A start bombing Syria and the Russians who have the air space start shooting our planes down then I reckon it might be a problem having a few soccer games.
  • edited April 2018
    It'll all fizzle out. Putin wants a World Cup to show how honest and un-corrupt? his country really is.
    It'll happen - whether it will involve England is a different matter. TBH, if i was an England player, i would be having second thoughts about going there.If players start dropping out, whatever nation, then that will start to undermine the whole thing.

However, Its true what someone said, in that the majority of major sponsors are American....... Visa,Coca Cola, Budweiser etc- all it would need is for Trump to start leaning on them to get out, then the whole thing could start to unravel.

Did i read somewhere that Alan Green has refused to go to Russia because of previous treatment in Russia?
  • Sponsored links:

• We’re on twenty years of moral high ground now.
  • Can it really go ahead if Russia and the Western allies are bombing the shit out of each other?

The news mate

The news mate
    Don’t watch it, too depressing.
  • It'll all fizzle out. Putin wants a World Cup to show how honest and un-corrupt? his country really is.
    It'll happen - whether it will involve England is a different matter. TBH, if i was an England player, i would be having second thoughts about going there.If players start dropping out, whatever nation, then that will start to undermine the whole thing.

However, Its true what someone said, in that the majority of major sponsors are American....... Visa,Coca Cola, Budweiser etc- all it would need is for Trump to start leaning on them to get out, then the whole thing could start to unravel.

Did i read somewhere that Alan Green has refused to go to Russia because of previous treatment in Russia?

I’d be seriously pissed off (though not surprised) if players did that, considering the relative secure and luxury they will travel and live in, compared to all the fans trecking out there. Plus it’s their fooking job!!
  • On the other hand I wouldn't go to Russia if you paid me (even footballer money)

(too cold for my liking for a start)
  • More unlikely now, after the events of this morning.
  • Sponsored links:

• We shouldn’t go nor should any of the other European countries that agree that Putin is acting like a complete bell

Our fans and that of the French will not be safe out there not from violence as that will be so covered in media but the secret fuckas that get lifted and imprisoned for nothing with no political support due to the breakdown of coms

You want to hit Putin embarrassing him by not attending the tournament would absolutely
    Make him look like a fool

this.
  • Obviously the 'powers that be' will wait to see how things play out but:

- if the current Cold War with Russia is no better than it is today, and,
    - FIFA/FA don't take a boycott decision, then

I think the Government will make the decision for them.

I love the World Cup but you simply cannot divorce it from what's going on much as you might want to.
  • We shouldn’t go nor should any of the other European countries that agree that Putin is acting like a complete bell

Our fans and that of the French will not be safe out there not from violence as that will be so covered in media but the secret fuckas that get lifted and imprisoned for nothing with no political support due to the breakdown of coms

You want to hit Putin embarrassing him by not attending the tournament would absolutely

As much as I love a world cup your logic is faultless. It will hurt him more and hurt us less than bombing Syria.
  • Can't see it not taking place in Russia. Wouldn't be surprised if they waited til after the world cup to do something.

If it doesn't happen imagine they'd try to move it. FIFA has a lot of money riding on it and, as we all know, they are a non-profit and are aiming for the next billion in the bank

As much as I love a world cup your logic is faultless. It will hurt him more and hurt us less than bombing Syria.
    I posted that before knowing what has just happened but the point stands.
  • personally I don't think we should go but I've been thinking that ever since their 'liberation' of the Crimea. also don't think we should go to Qatar as both bids are tainted with corruption.

we wouldn't be discussing these decisions if FIFA weren't corrupt. they have a lot to answer for.

Or maybe if nations didnt go around the world attempting to murder people on foreign soil or help drop chemical bombs on children.
  • England fans will die out there --- no doubt about it
  • Football has got fuck all to do with world politics.
    The cup goes ahead will all the teams who qualified.