Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

'Grand' National meeting 2018 claims the life of a horse

Another year...and the same old story.

RIP Lilbitluso - killed today in The Foxhunters Chase on the first day of the Grand National meeting at Aintree - the fiftieth horse since the year 2000 to die at this annual 'sporting' occasion.

More info here: https://animalaid.org.uk/lilbitluso-killed/ and here: theracingforum.co.uk/forums/topic/lilbitluso/

I invite concerned readers to sign / share a petition requesting that the government establishes an independent regulatory body, with horse welfare as its only interest.

Petition to parliament: https://t.co/jIGDkG1G5B

Thank you.

Comments

• Saw another one that died in field by Tesco in Sidcup , maybe hunger or neglect.
    Wrote to Donald Tusk to complain and he replied “can I have it with chips and mushy peas”
  • Saw another one that died in field by Tesco in Sidcup , maybe hunger or neglect.
    Wrote to Donald Tusk to complain and he replied “can I have it with chips and mushy peas”

That's it... I'm starting a petition to ban Tescos
  • In fairness to the OP, this hasn't happened for every race meeting (e.g when a horse dies after a fall in a Grade 4 at, erm, Uttoxeter on a Wednesday for instance). OP clings on to the coat tails of public horse racing festivals.

Equally, current events often constitute a stimulus for me to bring up my opinions about race, or religion, or similar.

However, with specific regard to horse racing, I find it interesting that people don't seem to care until Cheltenham or Aintree. I care about race and politics every day.
  • 50 horses in 18 years....We are on about that in london, for people, by knife crime, under 18, in the last 6 months.
  • Know my priorities
  • Sponsored links:

• End of the day they animals, humans eat animals, humans wear the crown, these beasts suffer in no way & are looked after splendidly by their owners and trainers, it's all about life Pecking order & mankind is the king of all beasts.
  • *hands Daarzzetbum some full stops*

. .. ... .. .
  • Guarantee that a racehorse has a better quality of life than the OP
  • And most humans for that matter
  • last year when entering aintree there was a load of animal rights protesters some from some vegan group, protesting at the train station peperami were also there giving out free peperamis and people were throwing them at the protestors, without racing these animals wouldn't be required. acts of violence such as davy russel is way out of line and i would of liked to of seen a much severe punishment, but compared to other industries such as farmers who on the whole are decent but some of them are brutes, a business we used to look after in the yuppy kensington area claiming to be vegan freindly and ethical - take a look at the owner - nice bloke.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2537329/Organic-vegetarian-restaurant-owner-convicted-poor-treatment-herd-cows-two-cows-calf-die.html

thankfully he is now bankrupt and out of business.
  • AnnaK, your heart is in the right place but it does get a bit tedious the exact same thread every big horse event.
  • I hope there is a similar thread around the national and Cheltenham until horse racing has been ended.
    Successful campaigning is a constant and they don't succeed unless they are maintained and renewed at every opportunity. Even if it seems tedious.
  • edited April 2018

AnnaK, your heart is in the right place but it does get a bit tedious the exact same thread every big horse event.

This.

It's a true shame of course when a horse dies racing or even training to race, however the fact is that most horses wouldn't exist if they hadn't be bred for horse related sports.

They are given the best diet, regular exercise & they are cared for by professional trainers...

They are also treated like a car or tool by the sport.

If one dies, the owner will buy a new one, give it a great diet, trainer and exercise so that it can be assigned to a jockey and the cycle starts over again...

It's a bit sad to think of it in such a way, but the lifestyle suits the thousands of horses that have retired since 2000 (and the millions before this) having lived a life where they have been exercised regularly to then move to a calmer more relaxed life where they are a pet, where they are loved and cared for possibly even more so than they were prior to retiring.
  • I personally cant see why folk just dont open the thread, when they know full well what its about.

Although if the aim of the shared petition is to end all forms of racing (and Ive not read it meself), I think it does need challenging
  • Sponsored links:

• I find it sad that someone who supposedly cares about horses can’t wait for one to die just to get their point of view across.
    In fact I find sickening!

That is totally unfair. I have known the OP over half my life and I can tell you that is not what he is all about.
    Completely off topic and irrelevant but, I always thought Anna was a doris.
  • That is unfair.

The thing about the Grand National for me is that the horses seem to enjoy it - why would they continue to jump the fences when their jockey falls off? As an animal lover I hate to see a beautiful creature die, but can see both sides.
  • @cafcdave123 - Anna Kissed is a play on anarchist, as in someone who Is against authority, rules and laws. Althought saying that, this one seems to want the authorities to bring laws and rules in to stop people riding horses
  • Had vegans round last night.
  • edited April 2018
    I disagree with what @Anna_Kissed says but I'll fight for their right to say it.

The thread topic is clear before you open it.

If you disagree by all means say so too but saying they shouldn't start such threads is, imho, wrong.

• I disagree with what @Anna_Kissed says but I'll fight for their right to say it.

If you disagree by all means say so too but saying they shouldn't start such threads is, imho, wrong.

Glad you edited that @Henry Irving , I was about to get on my high horse
    What made you think I might have started the thread? :wink:
  • edited April 2018

I disagree with what @Anna_Kissed says but I'll fight for their right to say it.

I didn't say that the OP shouldn't start a thread, but merely the fact they start a new thread everytime they want to make their point. Why not just resurrect, sorry "bump" the old one.