Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Scunthorpe | Sat 14 Apr | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Scunthorpe United
Saturday 14th April 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Graham Salisbury

Introduction

Tuesday night saw Charlton surrendering the last of their games in hand, a 1-0 defeat at the hands of AFC Wimbledon was made worse by the fact that the Addicks failed to get a shot on target. Returning back to South East London, they must now prepare for the next challenge if they want to prolong their season into May… Scunthorpe United are the visitors, looking to ensure their season doesn’t disappear with a whimper.

The Opposition
Name: Scunthorpe United | Caretaker Manager: Nick Daws
Ground: Glanford Park

Potentially a match that could be billed as the battle of the Caretaker Managers…

On a dismal run which has wielded just two wins in the whole of 2018, it was a relief for some Scunthorpe fans that Graham Alexander was relieved of his duties at the end of March – For a side though who have only been in the second tier on three occasions since the 1960s, could it be that the Iron are simply overachieving?

Missing out on the Play-Off Final would certainly have been disappointing last season, yet Alexander was surely the man to stick with… Nick Daws, the man tasked with ensuring another Play-Off finish hasn’t done much better, and the Iron would have lost at Kingsmeadow last weekend themselves, but for a late Lee Novak goal… Failure to beat the Addicks tomorrow (something Scunthorpe havent done at the Valley since 1963) and it could be lights out on their promotion attempt.

The Play-Off Race
Every weekend between now and the end of the season will be crucial yet when rivals come up against each other, its even more important as there is the potential for at least one side to get away from us. Apart from Charlton facing Scunthorpe, there are other tight fixtures happening this weekend.

The tightest of those will be in Devon as Plymouth play host to Portsmouth, with just a point separating the two sides, it’ll be another tight clash between the two sides… With Charlton failing to capitalise in midweek, it could be that fourth spot is beyond us, although you’d expect Rotherham to lose at Wigan which gives Charlton another attempt at going four points behind the Millers.

Peterborough are the final side in the Play-Off race, and potentially have the easiest fixture… they play host to Rochdale who despite being in the relegation zone have already taken a scalp against Shrewsbury of late

This is a race going right to the wire!!

Charlton Team News
When Lewis Page was signed as a replacement for Morgan Fox there were dubious responses to say the least, failure to last ninety minutes and fans were left thinking that another poor decision had been made… 12 months on though and the former West Ham youngster has turned opinion on its head, his performance against AFC Wimbledon one of the few shining lights, yet once again will probably be rested for the equally impressive: Jay Dasilva.

Such a shame we’re not spoiled for choice in attack like we are in defence… Since arriving from Surrey; Sullay Kaikai has shown none of his potential, and wont be missed when his loan ends – Nicky Ajose, rested on Tuesday will hopefully return to the attack, either alongside Michal Zyro or the now rested: Josh Magennis!!

Amos
Dijksteel | Bauer | Pearce | Dasilva
Reeves | Aribo | Forster-Caskey | Kaikai
Ajose | Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Konsa | Page | Jackson | Mavididi | Zyro | Marshall

Prediction
Its typical of Charlton to struggle against the lesser sides and that was proven in the last two games – You’d have to hope that the opposite is one again true, and that we see a performance similar to the ones against Plymouth and Rotherham.

One thing we can be sure of, we can afford no more slip ups!!

Comments

• Couple of things; surely Konsa will be in the squad? And we have lost to the Iron since 1963; 1-0 away when Moutaouakil gifted them a goal through a miskick! I'm not sure DeSilva wil be fit, either.
  • Bounce and confidence will have drained away. Expecting a reaction but we still drop too many defensive clangers.

2 - 2
  • Pedro45 said:

Couple of things; surely Konsa will be in the squad? And we have lost to the Iron since 1963; 1-0 away when Moutaouakil gifted them a goal through a miskick! I'm not sure DeSilva wil be fit, either.

Dasilva was on the bench on Tuesday night.
  • A rested Josh Magennis - is still Josh Magennis.

COYR
  • Pedro45 said:

Couple of things; surely Konsa will be in the squad? And we have lost to the Iron since 1963; 1-0 away when Moutaouakil gifted them a goal through a miskick! I'm not sure DeSilva wil be fit, either.

Cheers, always forget one or two players - Was just Konsa's turn this week

I meant that Scunthorpe havent won @ the Valley since 1963 (we obviously lost at their place this season), yet again my train of thought wandered at the wrong time so have quickly amended that too
  • A rested Josh Magennis - is still Josh Magennis.

COYR

Our top scorer this season?

..... Amos
    Dijksteel Bauer Pearce DaSilva
    .................... JFC
    ......... Reeves..... Aribo
    .................. Mavididi
    .............. Ajose..... Magennis

Something tactically needs to change from Tuesday. That doesn't necessarily mean a change in shape or in personnel, but I think it's safe to assume Dijksteel and DaSilva will come in and Zyro desperately needs a rest. But more important will be how we take care of the ball and move off it. How well we can press Rotherham, and if we can knick an early goal again.
  • 2-1 to Charlton
  • 2-1 to the Iron. Had enough of this season.
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• A proper test of Bowyer's managerial potential here and I believe he will rise to it. I reckon there'll be a surprise somewhere in the tactics and we'll run out 2-1 winners , goals from Ajose and Big Mac , Novak for them , of course.
  • Have to win this one. 3-1 to us.
  • We are ever hopeful, but the team have only won four games this season without Tariqe Fosu in the starting line up. And those games were all against struggling teams. Who is going to step up to the plate in his absence on Saturday ?

https://castrust.org/2018/04/tariqe-the-key-to-the-play-offs/
  • The only difference between this Saturday and the last two games, is that Scunny need to win as well, so hopefully their defence will not be as packed and we may get a strike on target. Forever optimistic, I go for a 2-0 win, defence to stop making silly mistakes and keep a clean sheet
  • edited April 2018
    Had a feeling we might come unstuck against Wimbledon, despite my earlier random 'win' prediction.

Not sure why, but feel we'll bounce back against Scunthorpe on Saturday. It'll be the first match in ages I won't be following, as I'll be flying in to Heathrow and landing just after the final whistle.

Really surprised Zyro was so poor after his excellent performances in Bowyer's three wins. Maybe he's knackered, maybe he's easily intimidated, I don't know. I don't agree that he's not interested though. Unfortunately I don't think Magennis is the answer, but you never know.
    It's possible Bowyer brought Reeves off to rest him for Saturday.
    I think he had to rest Dijksteel, but you can be sure he'll be back on Saturday.
    Aribo plays much better on a decent pitch. I'd rest him for the 'horrible' games, unless he show he can cope soon as.
    I wouldn't be averse to seeing Dasilva on the left wing/left midfield. Reeves could float, as hes been doing quite successfully.
    Really wish we could see the pre injury version of Mavididi again. This post injury Mav hasn't clicked at all. Very worrying, as he looked great earlier in the season.
    Kaikai I'm trying to keep on open mind on; I wouldn't be sad to see him dropped for Mav or Marshall though.

3-1 Bauer, Ajose and Reeves.
  • Amos
    Konsa | Bauer | Pearce | Page
    Reeves | Aribo | Forster-Caskey | Da Silva
    Ajose | Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Djksteel | Kaikai | Jackson | Mavididi | Zyro | Marshall

2-1 magennis and ajose
  • edited April 2018
    Big game this one. BIG. Can't lose it & really is a must win. If we don't pick up 3 points then the play-offs are virtually gone as it would mean needing to win at least 3 out of the last 4 games, and with games against in-form Pompey & title contenders Blackburn I don't think that is likely.

No idea what team will turn up. Will it be the hustle-bustle & exciting team we saw at Northampton & against Plymouth or the woefully inept & insipid 11 rag tag & bobtail numpties we saw at Wimbledon ?

Seeing as we don't usually turn up to "must-win" games I can only see more despair come 5pm.

0-0 bore fest. I've heard that Scunny have a problem with injuries to their goalkeepers & they have asked if I want to go in goal as they know that I wont be troubled all game.
  • Well we turned up and beat Plymouth and Rotherham, two top teams, in our last two home games and now we need to make it 3 home wins on the trot by beating Scunthorpe.
    2-0 CAFC as long as we can eradicate the dopey back pass.
  • SDAddick said:

A rested Josh Magennis - is still Josh Magennis.

COYR

Our top scorer this season?

..... Amos
    Dijksteel Bauer Pearce DaSilva
    .................... JFC
    ......... Reeves..... Aribo
    .................. Mavididi
    .............. Ajose..... Magennis

Something tactically needs to change from Tuesday. That doesn't necessarily mean a change in shape or in personnel, but I think it's safe to assume Dijksteel and DaSilva will come in and Zyro desperately needs a rest. But more important will be how we take care of the ball and move off it. How well we can press Rotherham, and if we can knick an early goal again.
    Agree with Mav behind the front 2 where he can find space for his runs.
  • Dyksteel. Bauer. Pearce. DeSilva

Reeves. Aribo. Foster-Caskey. Kaikai.

Ajose. Mag.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2018
    It's a season defining game. Nothing but a win gives us a play-off chance. Scunny look there for the taking. 40 years of 'charlton-isation' tells me we will concede late to throw away a 1-0 win; 1-1.
  • 2-0 to Scunthorpe and our Play off hopes receding fast.
  • Dont see Reeves playing on the right, Marshall on Right and Aribo on the bench.

2-0 Charlton and hopes of playoffs are still there, COYR
  • A must win otherwise we will have to beat Shrewsbury and Blackburn!

Like the idea of Dasiva coming in for Kaikai on the left. Think him and Page could work well down the left.
  • Charlton to get back on track this weekend: unlike the last couple of matches it won't be played on a pudding of a pitch or against a shit-house team fighting for their survival.

We hit the heights against Plymouth and Rotherham, two in-form teams in the play-off race, and I expect the same tomorrow.

Addicks to win 3-0, Ajose (one of these days he'll get his deserved goal!), Mag, and Aribo.

#InLordBowyerWeTrust
  • Charlton 2-0 win.

I firmly believe that Bowyer will get that response we need. I wouldnt be surprised if Scunny are devoid of confidence and we gotta take the chance to kick em' when there down!!

AJose, Aribo to score, Big Mag to put himself about and have a good game!!
  • dickplumb said:

2-0 to Scunthorpe and our Play off hopes receding fast.

Faster than Reeves' hairline
  • Drop out the top six I don't think we'll get back in so, wait for it , must win game and I think we will, 3-1 Charlton with a late settler.
  • Scunthorpe are the perfect opponents really after the disappointing last 2 results AND performances, with their terrible form

I'm fairly confident we'll win tomorrow