Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CARD urges fans not to buy 2018/19 season tickets while Duchatelet remains Charlton owner (12/4/18)

edited April 2018 in General Charlton
The Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet is urging Charlton fans to refuse to pay the club’s owner for his own incompetence by not renewing season tickets until the club is sold.

The club today announced price increases of up to 35% for adults on a like-for-like basis with 2017/18, blaming “higher security and counter-terrorism requirements, inflation and the increase in the minimum wage”.

A CARD spokesperson said: “The only things missing from this litany of excuses are Brexit and the weather. The club is running a huge operating loss because Duchatelet continues to waste vast amounts of money through his own abysmal management. Any cost increases are trivial by comparison.

“Now supporters are being told they must stump up more to fund Duchatelet’s incompetence. With new owners that would be a price worth paying, but as it stands he will be making fools of fans if they renew now.

“He is threatening people with increases, but just a week ago the club was saying that it didn’t even know if he would still be the owner by today. Now it has gone quiet on that again. It also claimed players could not be signed for fees in January because he was selling. What about the summer? How can fans take anything the club says seriously?

“We want to see as many season-ticket holders as possible at The Valley under new owners, but we would urge people to hold on to their money until they can be sure it won’t be going to Duchatelet. Why reward him for the damage he has done?”

Adult prices at The Valley have been increased by up to 14 per cent on last season, when they also came with the benefit of six months’ free access to Valley Pass – worth £36 – if renewed before the initial deadline.

That means the rise is 35% on a like-for-like basis for an adult seated in the lower north stand or family stand.

Fans in the cheapest blocks in the east and west stands are being asked to pay 13 per cent more than last season (25 per cent with the Valley Pass element).

CARD said: “We recognise that many of Charlton’s prices are cheaper than at other clubs, but those clubs will have a chairman, a chief executive and a finance director. Duchatelet is saving far more by having no senior staff than he will raise with these increases.”

“We would urge fans to hold off and wait to invest in the future, rather than pay him for his mistakes.”

Comments

• Good statement. Probably not needed, but still a good statement.
    Presumably the 'nobody tells me what to do' crowd will all rush out and get theirs now.
  • I'm not stumping up any money for a season ticket that will go into his pocket, and I can't believe given the current situation how any fans would until they have a better idea what is happening regarding the take over!
  • Uboat said:

Good statement. Probably not needed, but still a good statement.
    Presumably the 'nobody tells me what to do' crowd will all rush out and get theirs now.

Uboat said:

Good statement. Probably not needed, but still a good statement.

Nobody apart from the wife tells me what to do. I'll buy mine when he sells up.

• You know my hashtag

#notapennymore

I do @eaststandmike , its grown on me....and very apt.
  • I still hope to be buying one for next season bit won't be getting it until he has gone and completely gone.

Part of me wonders if the buyers have okayed this on order for RD to take the flack for season ticket price hikes before they come in. I'm sure season ticket revenue will be factored into the sale.
  • Well if that is the case, fair enough but the new owners will be getting my money not that mad a*hole!
  • Sponsored links:

• CARD said:

The Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet is urging Charlton fans to refuse to pay the club’s owner for his own incompetence by not renewing season tickets until the club is sold.

The club today announced price increases of up to 35% for adults on a like-for-like basis with 2017/18, blaming “higher security and counter-terrorism requirements, inflation and the increase in the minimum wage”.

A CARD spokesperson said: “The only things missing from this litany of excuses are Brexit and the weather. The club is running a huge operating loss because Duchatelet continues to waste vast amounts of money through his own abysmal management. Any cost increases are trivial by comparison.

“Now supporters are being told they must stump up more to fund Duchatelet’s incompetence. With new owners that would be a price worth paying, but as it stands he will be making fools of fans if they renew now.

“He is threatening people with increases, but just a week ago the club was saying that it didn’t even know if he would still be the owner by today. Now it has gone quiet on that again. It also claimed players could not be signed for fees in January because he was selling. What about the summer? How can fans take anything the club says seriously?

“We want to see as many season-ticket holders as possible at The Valley under new owners, but we would urge people to hold on to their money until they can be sure it won’t be going to Duchatelet. Why reward him for the damage he has done?”

Adult prices at The Valley have been increased by up to 14 per cent on last season, when they also came with the benefit of six months’ free access to Valley Pass – worth £36 – if renewed before the initial deadline.

That means the rise is 35% on a like-for-like basis for an adult seated in the lower north stand or family stand.

Fans in the cheapest blocks in the east and west stands are being asked to pay 13 per cent more than last season (25 per cent with the Valley Pass element).

CARD said: “We recognise that many of Charlton’s prices are cheaper than at other clubs, but those clubs will have a chairman, a chief executive and a finance director. Duchatelet is saving far more by having no senior staff than he will raise with these increases.”

“We would urge fans to hold off and wait to invest in the future, rather than pay him for his mistakes.”

The statement neglected to have goalscorer in the list of positions that the club hasn't got personnel in!
  • Well I certainly never expected this post :wink:
  • This initiative has my full support #NotAPennyMore
  • Too late.

Bought 8 season tickets this morning and now they tell me.

Yep , cheers for that Henry, very kind of you!
  • Begone Roland, I want to return but never ever until you have buggered off!
  • Do the 'anti - terrorism' measures mean we're still paying for Katriens bodyguards?

Yes, because they haven’t realised she’s left yet
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2018

Agree fully with CARD. No sane person should be thinking of renewing at this moment in time. No need to "secure" your seat - it aint going anywhere & the club are not seriously going to increase the price from May 8th if we are still in this league next season.

Out of interest, how long (reasonably) can a business run without a CEO or Finance Director, especially when in 4 weeks players will want to know where they stand as to next season ? Do the EFL have a stand on this (rhetorical question as we all know the answer). Just wonder what would happen if a new club was formed (ala AFC Wimbledon or Salford City) with just a random person, living in another country & not playing an active part, putting in the money with no directors, CEO etc. I expect the EFL would not sanction such a club.

Perhaps we should tell the EFL that Roland buys the players a burger if they win, that's get them interested!
  • Agree fully with CARD. No sane person should be thinking of renewing at this moment in time. No need to "secure" your seat - it aint going anywhere & the club are not seriously going to increase the price from May 8th if we are still in this league next season.

Out of interest, how long (reasonably) can a business run without a CEO or Finance Director, especially when in 4 weeks players will want to know where they stand as to next season ? Do the EFL have a stand on this (rhetorical question as we all know the answer). Just wonder what would happen if a new club was formed (ala AFC Wimbledon or Salford City) with just a random person, living in another country & not playing an active part, putting in the money with no directors, CEO etc. I expect the EFL would not sanction such a club.

Perhaps we should tell the EFL that Roland buys the players a burger if they win, that's get them interested!
    14 chips
  • Redhenry said:

buying when he's gone

not a real supporter unless you bought as soon as the announcement was made : - )
  • CARD why don’t you ask RM what’s holding up the deal? I’m sure we’d all very much like to know.
  • Redhenry said:

buying when he's gone

If your guys won the takeover race I would have thought no-one would have to buy a season ticket, your chaps could buy everyone's for them. :wink:
  • CARD why don’t you ask RM what’s holding up the deal? I’m sure we’d all very much like to know.

Probably so would Murray!

• Dont forget under Roland he increased age for over 60s to 65yearsafew years back.

Dont buy until he has sold and new owner in place.

I blame The Belgium 20 pissing him off since 27-02 -2016