Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

John Hewie Cup 1971 - 1976

Looking to rehome The John Hewie CASC (charlton althetics sports club) Cup.
I was given it by a work colleague who has had it since 1976. Would be great to find someone who would appreciate it. Is a bit worn, could do with some TLC. Does the Charlton Museum want it? Or someone who won it, does anyone recognise any of the names?
R Setch 1971-72
S Polin 1972-73
K Perry 1973-74
P O’Leary 1974-75
J Shepherd 1975-76

Comments

• Interesting piece, what did people have to do to win it? Did it stop just because J Shepherd didn't give it back or was there something else going on?
  • The museum would be happy to look after it as we have his cap, shirt and blazer.

What is the story of the cup?
  • I believe it was for the Player of the year for the CASC football team.

I have know idea why it stopped in 1976.
  • edited April 2018
    Looks the same cup as the CASC POTY one.
  • Looks the same cup as the CASC POTY one.

It does look similar and would have started around the same time.
    Stewart said:

I believe it was for the Player of the year for the CASC football team.

It would be made at home in the museum.

So two questions. 1. Was it the "supporters" club or "social" club

2. Do any generous Addicks want to pay for its restoration and if so where can it be repaired and cleaned?
  • Ok, the museum can have it.

As far as I know It’s the Supporters club player of the year cup.
  • Looks the same cup as the CASC POTY one.

It does look similar and would have started around the same time.
    Stewart said:

I believe it was for the Player of the year for the CASC football team.

It would be made at home in the museum.

So two questions. 1. Was it the "supporters" club or "social" club

2. Do any generous Addicks want to pay for its restoration and if so where can it be repaired and cleaned?
    When the POTY was found, it was lost for a few good few years, the supplier of the trophies, repair it along with the order for the trophies for that season.
    Can't remember off the top of my head who it was.
  • Thanks,

I'll inbox you later.

Are you still in touch with the person who gave it to you?
  • I am yes. I will find out if it’s the “supporters” or “social” cup. Anything else?
  • Stewart said:

I am yes. I will find out if it’s the “supporters” or “social” cup. Anything else?

That and anything else he can remember. Who presented it? Why John Hewie? Was it part of the player of the year do? What was the CASC team, what league did they play in? Any background at all is helpful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stewart's trophy

Player of the year trophy

• How about getting it cleaned up (I have no idea of the cost to do that) and presenting it to the Upbeats 'Player of the Year' each season?
  • HarryLime said:

How about getting it cleaned up (I have no idea of the cost to do that) and presenting it to the Upbeats 'Player of the Year' each season?

One can't speak for John of course but, what little I know of him personally, I am certain he and his family would be proud as punch to have his name associated with such a wonderful gesture.

• HarryLime said:

How about getting it cleaned up (I have no idea of the cost to do that) and presenting it to the Upbeats 'Player of the Year' each season?

I've approached Munich72 trophies who say they can repair it.

They suggested having it replated but we want to keep the original patina.

I'm waiting to hear from them about cost.

What we need now is a generous sponsor to cover the costs.
  • Langfords in Chancery Lane are a company I have had dealings with in the past for this kind of thing.
    0207 242 6646.
    First class quality workmanship.
  • edited April 2018
    Either the museum or The Upbeats would be a good home for this item.
    Though The Upbeats would, if all parties are in agreement, have the funds in place for such a project.
    Just saying.
  • I only threw the Upbeats in there as an idea, because in some respects it’s a bit sad that a trophy just sits there, doing nothing being neither able to be won or earned, make it mean something again.
    I do think though any money the Upbeats have should be left for them to spend on running a team and winning matches and not on refurbishing trophies.
    That should be funded by others, if it came to I’m sure I could raffle off an old Belgian dance queen that that I no longer have any use for and is cluttering up the place in Charlton.
  • edited August 2022
    I wonder if they wouldn’t prefer their own bespoke trophy? It’s a bit over complicating it, to recycle an old one, with its own history, isn’t it?
  • Sorry to say this James but, like a lot of people that have waited, patiently, for four years, I am a bit underwhelmed with your answer.  
  • Sponsored links:

• I’ve just been given a promote for something I posted over 4 years ago. 

Who did that and why? 
  • edited August 2022
    Stewart said:
    I’ve just been given a promote for something I posted over 4 years ago. 

Who did that and why? 

@Henry Irving donated one of his.
  • Perhaps refounding a supporters' team would be a good idea, and a solution to get this cup back in use?