Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Commonwealth Games 2018

Anyone else interested?

I've not seen a thread so thought I'd start one. Please sink if another exists.

Don't laugh too loudly but I felt compelled to sit through a fascinating game of Lawn Bowls. It was the Mens Pairs final and Wales nicked it beating Scotland , after 18 ends, 12-10.

The Scottish pair have previously won World titles so that Welsh victory was akin almost to San Marino beating Brazil in the World Cup final.

Local lad Adam Gemili goes later in the athletics 100 metres.

Comments

• Gemili has pulled out injured.
  • WSS said:

Gemili has pulled out injured.

Bugger!

He seemed to feel his hamstring after the semi.
  • Does anyone know the reason why we don't compete as GB like in the world championships/Olympics etc? I don't really get it.

Seems to me Australia are always going to dominate the whole thing if you are going to split one country into 4?
  • Does anyone know the reason why we don't compete as GB like in the world championships/Olympics etc? I don't really get it.

Seems to me Australia are always going to dominate the whole thing if you are going to split one country into 4?

Because it is between commonwealth countries, gb is not a country in the commonwealth, Ireland Scotland Wales and England are

Isn't Australia's population about half that of England alone though?

Maybe so on home soil but not so at the last games in Glasgow.

http://www.rediff.com/sports/report/glasgow-commonwealth-games-australia-lead-medal-tally/20140728.htm
  • It's almost exactly half the population - (live and learn huh assumed it was a lot closer than that)

nothing to see here folks i'm completely wrong :)
  • I very much hope Katarina Johnson-Thompson can finally win a heptathalon medal (hopefully gold) and kickstart a successful run at other more prestigious championships.

In my view she has the talent to be every bit as good as both Denise lewis and Jessica Ennis (now Ennis-Hill) and is good enough at high jump and long jump to compete in the individual events if she so chose.

Because it is between commonwealth countries, gb is not a country in the commonwealth, Northern Ireland Scotland Wales and England are
    Corrected :smile:
  • LenGlover said:

Anyone else interested?

Don't laugh too loudly but I felt compelled to sit through a fascinating game of Lawn Bowls. It was the Mens Pairs final and Wales nicked it beating Scotland , after 18 ends, 12-10.

The Scottish pair have previously won World titles so that Welsh victory was akin almost to San Marino beating Brazil in the World Cup final.

just proving that there is nothing scotland are good at apart from 50pence clutching :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• I worked in the Sports industry for 3 years, and helped put the funding package for Team England, and I really couldn't care less about the Commonwealths
  • LenGlover said:

Anyone else interested?

just proving that there is nothing scotland are good at apart from 50pence clutching :wink:
    Racist
  • LenGlover said:

Anyone else interested?

Racist
    Too right Dave. He forgot drinking and wearing skirts.
  • Dave, Dave, Dave....I was at least hoping for some tossing reference from you.....caber or otherwise.
    #disappointed
  • I thought it was a wonderful performance by Duncan Scott in swimming's blue riband event, the 100 metres freestyle.

A truly world class field and Scott came from nowhere to touch out Australia's Olympic champion Kyle Chalmers and South African super star Chad Le Clos. The last 10 metres are remarkable as he changes to a straight arm action to edge it.

OK Scott is a Scot, but apart from that ....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/commonwealth-games/43689617
  • Anyone see the Scottish guy in the marathon last night? Collapsed with a mile to go whilst leading by 43 seconds - very distressing scenes and he didn't receive any medical assistance for about 5 minutes.

Fucking idiots in the crowd leaning over the barrier right next to him with their phones out recording the poor guy as well.
  • Anyone see the Scottish guy in the marathon last night? Collapsed with a mile to go whilst leading by 43 seconds - very distressing scenes and he didn't receive any medical assistance for about 5 minutes.

Fucking idiots in the crowd leaning over the barrier right next to him with their phones out recording the poor guy as well.

Dreadful by the organisers.

He actually collapsed twice. Got up the first time and ran (staggered) on for a few hundred yards and then collapsed again and seemed to be on the ground for an age.

Fortunately he seems to be ok.

• Yeah was just reading an article on the bbc website - apparently there is a rule that a runner can only receive medical assistance if he asks for it - absolute lunacy

As you say thankfully he's ok.
  • Didn't something similar happen to one of the Brownlee brothers and the only person to help was his brother who was behind him in the race.
  • I don't think he collapsed or anything (can't remember which brother it was) think he had just stopped by the side of the road a couple hundred meters from the finish and got practically dragged to the finish line but yeah similar circumstances.

Think there was a bit of controversy around the result with that one as well but it turned out it isn't against the rules for another competitor to help but if it had been a medic it would have been a disqualification!
  • Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:

WSS said:

Gemili has pulled out injured.

He seemed to feel his hamstring after the semi.
    Dirty boy!
  • Really enjoyed the games and thought we did really well. Next time on home soil think we can top the medals table. We have loads of talent coming through that should be at their peak by then.
  • 2nd worst performance by England, medal wise apparently.
  • Was it really?
  • 2nd worst performance by England, medal wise apparently.

It is a bit pathetic that a developing third world country where the mullet is still in fashion came above us in the medals table.
  • How exciting was that netball yesterday?
  • How exciting was that netball yesterday?

did you have a pot noodle after?

GB is four countries stuck together.
  • edited April 2018
    Riviera said:

Does anyone know the reason why we don't compete as GB like in the world championships/Olympics etc? I don't really get it.

To be pedantic, GB is 3 countries (England, Scotland, Wales). UK is 4 (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland).

Thats why we compete as Great Britain & Northern Ireland.
  • Riviera said:

Does anyone know the reason why we don't compete as GB like in the world championships/Olympics etc? I don't really get it.

To be pedantic, GB is 3 countries (England, Scotland, Wales). UK is 4 (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland).

Thats why we compete as Great Britain & Northern Ireland.
    And in the Olympics, competitors from N Ireland can choose between Team GB and the Irish Republic...