Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Halal meat in Asda

Usually get our shopping from ASDA delivered, but popped out for a paper this morning and the traffic by Brands Hatch was dire so I went to ASDA instead.

I've obviously not been inside the store for a while as I noticed a chilled counter with 'Halal food'. I was genuinely shocked to see it there. I know that some brands stun the animals before killing them, but they also had meat that doesn't pre-stun. What is the world coming to? This was fecking ASDA, not some back-street butcher.

Comments

• edited April 2018
    I take it this is the Swanley branch? I’m surprised that there’s the demand for it round that neck of the woods in all honesty
  • Does it taste any different..??
  • buckshee said:

I take it this is the Swanley branch? I’m surprised that there’s the demand for it round that neck of the woods in all honesty

Yep the Swanley one. I guess I've missed it when shopping online. I've not searched the virtual shelves for Halal food before!
  • It ain't just Asda, I'm sure I heard a lot of food outlets, government departments and stores sell it as default meat now. Might be wrong on that though
  • It ain't just Asda, I'm sure I heard a lot of food outlets, government departments and stores sell it as default meat now. Might be wrong on that though

I'm out of touch. Ignorance is bliss
  • Sponsored links:

• Personally speaking, it ain't the fact that it's halal, it's the unethical dispatching of an animal, whether it's halal, kosher or just bad practice. All the years we've taken to educate producers and installing rules and regulations for the ethical treatment of domestic and wild animals, just for it to be overlooked because of religion.

Absolutely. I guess the Halal sign just shocked me.

• Personally won’t eat it, as it puts a lot of British butchers out of business as the whole halal process only employs a certain religion and that’s wrong imo!

It’s also extremely cruel.

Halal meat puts a lot of British butchers out of business?

Can you explain that? How would the method of slaughter of an animal put a butcher out of business? What nationality of butcher is replacing the British butchers who are displaced?
  • Chizz said:

Personally won’t eat it, as it puts a lot of British butchers out of business as the whole halal process only employs a certain religion and that’s wrong imo!

Can you explain that? How would the method of slaughter of an animal put a butcher out of business? What nationality of butcher is replacing the British butchers who are displaced?
    Sure you have to be Muslim to slaughter the animal as you have to say a prayer before it’s slaughtered or it becomes haram ( non halal meat ).

Apologies the post should of read non-Muslim butchers.

Hope that clears things up
  • edited April 2018
    It's a "personal choice" and an "expression of feminism" when one chooses to cover their head and face for religious cultural reasons, but I'm not sure how the slaughter of animals by methods in direct contravention to the law of the land can be explained away, but hang about, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to offer one....
  • It's a "personal choice" and an "expression of feminism" when one chooses to cover their head and face for religious cultural reasons, but I'm not sure how the slaughter of animals in by methods in direct contravention to the law of the land can be explained away, but hang about, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to offer one....

Religion gives far too many free cards.
  • Chizz said:

Personally won’t eat it, as it puts a lot of British butchers out of business as the whole halal process only employs a certain religion and that’s wrong imo!

Sure you have to be Muslim to slaughter the animal as you have to say a prayer before it’s slaughtered or it becomes haram ( non halal meat ).

So you're suggesting that a lot of non-muslim butchers are being replaced by Muslim butchers? OK.

As a matter of interest, does the religion of your butcher matter much to you?
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

So you're suggesting that a lot of non-muslim butchers are being replaced by Muslim butchers? OK.

It don't to me, as long as they do a nice bit of bacon and source ethically reared and slaughtered meat
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2018

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

It don't to me, as long as they do a nice bit of bacon and source ethically reared and slaughtered meat
    ...saying that, I wouldn't use a Jedi butcher, ewok just don't appeal
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

...saying that, I wouldn't use a Jedi butcher, ewok just don't appeal
    "No, Luke, I am your butcher!"
    "that's impossible!"
    "search your feelings, you know it to be true"
    "nnooooooo!!!!!!"
  • Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good pork sausage at your side, kid.
  • God I wish I hadn’t read Queensland’s post.
  • Didn't realise there were so many vegetarians on this forum.

Personally I'm happy to eat dead animals but each to their own.