Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

20 goals a season strikers - we’ve already got them

The trouble is our game plan hasn't been to create enough chances for at least one striker to get 20 goals, up until now of course. Watching yesterday’s game was a bit of a downer after the previous 3 games but it produced our 10th goal in 4 games. Do that over a whole season and we’d get 115 goals and I suspect we’d probably have two players that have got to the 20 goal mark.

Comments

• Over a full season with the current side, i'm pretty confident that both Zyro and Fosu would get 20 goals. Ajose and Reeves would also get double figures.
  • Not sure we have got one. Let’s put it this way. If we go into next season even assuming that’s league one with exactly what we have now again assuming Zyro is back with us I will be disappointed and worried that a new owner doesn’t look to spend on the striking position. Not easy to find one but I wouldn’t be confident of a promotion season with what we currently have.
  • Zyro looks like the real deal to me
    We already know Ajose CAN do it
  • Seeing Gregory(London club!) playing in the championship after coming from non league when was the last time cafc bought a striker from the 4 th tier or lower who was a success.
    I'm struggling to remember. Paul Williams springs to mind, that was 30 years ago.
    Any others ?
  • Over a full season with the current side, i'm pretty confident that both Zyro and Fosu would get 20 goals. Ajose and Reeves would also get double figures.

Sixty goals from four players sounds more than a little optimistic to me.
  • Stig said:

Over a full season with the current side, i'm pretty confident that both Zyro and Fosu would get 20 goals. Ajose and Reeves would also get double figures.

If for no other reason than injuries.
  • Stig said:

Over a full season with the current side, i'm pretty confident that both Zyro and Fosu would get 20 goals. Ajose and Reeves would also get double figures.

That's assuming they all remained injury free, which yes i accept is pretty unlikely.
  • Stig said:

How many did the leading 4 goalscorers for charlton get between them when SCPs team won L1 and how many goals did the team get overall in the league - anybody know ?

I tried looking on the club site but couldn’t find the historical data
  • Stig said:

How many did the leading 4 goalscorers for charlton get between them when SCPs team won L1 and how many goals did the team get overall in the league - anybody know ?

We had a 20+ goal striker in that team - BWP

Add in the goals that Yann and Jacko got, (they both got in double figures) and you're cooking on gas...
  • Stig said:

I'm not sure how accurate these statistics are, but this is what I've found on Wikipedia for goals scored in the league:

Charlton Athletic - 82
    Bradley Wright-Philliips - 22
    Johnnie Jackson - 12
    Yann Kermorgant - 12
    Danny Hollands - 7
  • Sponsored links:

• Gillis said:

Stig said:

I'm not sure how accurate these statistics are, but this is what I've found on Wikipedia for goals scored in the league:

Charlton Athletic - 82
    Johnnie Jackson - 12
    Yann Kermorgant - 12
    Danny Hollands - 7
    So if we maintained the current goal rate over a whole season, two players getting 20+ and two players getting double figures is likely
  • edited April 2018
    The main issue regarding having a 20-goal a season striker is that he is someone you can bank on to get you a goal when needed. Mendonca, Hunt, BWP & Killer were those type of players. As someone posted above, IF we had the same set of strikers as we have now going into next season I can't see any of them getting 20 goals. Zyro would probably get 12-15 & Ajose maybe the same (once he breaks his duck). Magennis has shown that he just isn't that type of striker. I think its fair to say that neither Mavididi or Kaikai will be here next season.

Its not sticking my next out to say that if we don't get a decent striker we will still be in this League until we do. (I think we'll get into the Play-offs but wont win them just because of the simple point above - you can't always rely on midfielders to dig you out of games).
  • The main issue regarding having a 20-goal a season striker is that he is someone you can bank on to get you a goal when needed. Mendonca, Hunt, BWP & Killer were those type of players. As someone posted above, IF we had the same set of strikers as we have now going into next season I can't see any of them getting 20 goals. Zyro would probably get 12-15 & Ajose maybe the same (once he breaks his duck). Magennis has shown that he just isn't that type of striker. I think its fair to say that neither Mavididi or Kaikai will be here next season.

Its not sticking my next out to say that if we don't get a decent striker we will still be in this League until we do. (I think we'll get into the Play-offs but wont win them just because of the simple point above - you can't always rely on midfielders to dig you out of games).

Scoring goals is a habit, as we have seen with KAG. Get one or two and the confidence flows and you start getting ‘lucky’ on a regular basis
  • Compared with the 82 goals we scored in 2011/12, so far this season Wigan have scored 77 goals with 7 games remaining, and Blackburn have scored 75 goals with 6 games remaining.
  • Seeing Gregory(London club!) playing in the championship after coming from non league when was the last time cafc bought a striker from the 4 th tier or lower who was a success.
    I'm struggling to remember. Paul Williams springs to mind, that was 30 years ago.
    Any others ?

Lookman from Waterloo FC
    Any others ?

Lookman from Waterloo FC
    He was 15 or 16 years old,
    But you are correct.
    I was thinking more of a player to be involved in the matchday squad straight away.
  • Gillis said:

Stig said:

Charlton Athletic - 82
    Johnnie Jackson - 12
    Yann Kermorgant - 12
    Danny Hollands - 7
    So if we maintained the current goal rate over a whole season, two players getting 20+ and two players getting double figures is likely
    They match Jack Rollin's figures.
  • Chris Dickson (ducks for cover), Nick Pope, Sasha Illic, Paul Gorman (ducks again)
  • Chris Dickson (ducks for cover), Nick Pope, Sasha Illic, Paul Gorman (ducks again)

How about Joe Aribo?
  • Sponsored links:

Chris Dickson (ducks for cover), Nick Pope, Sasha Illic, Paul Gorman (ducks again)

How about Joe Aribo?
    He says a decent Striker that weve signed from Non-League, cant really include Dickson as he didnt overly produce
    Any others ?

But League One and above, how many strikers come from non league to be a success? It is pretty rare.
    Any others ?

But League One and above, how many strikers come from non league to be a success? It is pretty rare.
    Kevin Phillips | Jamie Vardy | Ian Wright | Craig Mackail-Smith | Aaron McLean | Dwight Gayle
    Charlie Austin | Gary Hooper | Troy Deeney | Les Ferdinand | Rickie Lambert | Grant Holt
    Any others ?

Kevin Phillips | Jamie Vardy | Ian Wright | Craig Mackail-Smith | Aaron McLean | Dwight Gayle
    Charlie Austin | Gary Hooper | Troy Deeney | Les Ferdinand | Rickie Lambert | Grant Holt
    Good examples FA of other clubs finding lower league or non league forwards.
    Peterborough are the king's of finding lower league striking talent
    Arron McLean from Grays
    125K sold Hull 1.3 million
    Craig Mackail- Smith from Dagenham
    125K sold Brighton 2.5 million
    Dwight Gayle from Dagenham
    475K sold Palace 6 million.
    Lee Tomlin from Rushden
    200K sold Middlesbrough 1.5 million
    Connor Washington from Newport
    150 K sold QPR 2.7 million
    Marcus Maddison from Gateshead
    400k still at the Posh.
    Jack Marriott from Luton
    450K still at Posh

Maddison and Tomlin attacking midfielder the rest strikers.

Aribo and Lookman both spent a couple of season in U21/23's before 1st team action from non league.

Any others ?

Chris Dickson
    Any others ?

Arron McLean from Grays
    Lee Tomlin from Rushden
    400k still at the Posh.
    Jack Marriott from Luton
    450K still at Posh

Aribo and Lookman both spent a couple of season in U21/23's before 1st team action from non league.

Bloody hell. Posh can spot a non league talent. Well done Barry Fry
    Any others ?

Arron McLean from Grays
    Lee Tomlin from Rushden
    400k still at the Posh.
    Jack Marriott from Luton
    450K still at Posh

Maddison and Tomlin attacking midfielder the rest strikers

Probably not a lot of point in any kid joining their youth set up
    Any others ?

Arron McLean from Grays
    Lee Tomlin from Rushden
    400k still at the Posh.
    Jack Marriott from Luton
    450K still at Posh

Its how they stay afloat once they sell Maddison there will be another goal scoring gem snapped up. Got to say though their scouting is pretty one dimensional when was the last time they spotted a defensive diamond :)

I disagree, I think we are getting carried away with a little bit of form (form we had under Robbo at the start of the season)

No way should we rely on either Fosu or Zyro to get more than 15 each and then 15 between Ajose and Reeves.

We would definitely need a striker in the summer. We need 2 new one's assuming Zyro will be gone. Personally would only keep 2 of Ajose, KAG and Magennis and bring in 2 more.