Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bristol Rovers v Charlton | Sat 07 Apr | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Bristol Rovers v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 7th April 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Robert Lewis (Shrewsbury)

Introduction

Keeping the first two sections short for the rest of the season to add a temporary feature… Charlton travel to Bristol Rovers this Saturday in what was a repeat of the opening day of the season – Patrick Bauer scoring the sole goal of the game which saw Lee Novak sent off early doors.

The Opposition
Name: Bristol Rovers | Manager: Darrell Clarke
Ground: Memorial Stadium

Tomorrow Charlton travel to Bristol Rovers looking to cap off a memorial turn around… Our opponents though shouldn’t be taken lightly… Despite losing Billy Bodin to Preston in January; Bristol Rovers have started to climb the table and sit just beyond what is an epic fight for the Play-Offs… A win for the away side should keep Charlton in the Play-Off positions, a win for the opposition and we could see yet another side joining what is already a crowded fight for just a handful of positions.

The Play-Off Race
Between now and the end of the season all Charlton can do is focus on winning their matches and let fate take care of everything else… The ideal situation would be seven wins out of seven yet matching the scores of our rivals will be enough to secure a Play-Off position.

With just six points separating fourth and nine… a lot can go wrong for anyone of those sides… Plymouth and Peterborough having the unenvious task of facing each other this Weekend – You could say that Portsmouth have the easiest tie (a trip to Rochdale), yet with their opponents fighting for survival, nothing is guaranteed at this late stage... Rotherham will play host to Fleetwood (a side rejuvenated under John Sheridan), the Millers will be looking to bounce back quickly after their heavy loss to the Addicks last Saturday.

You’d have to be a brave betting man to predict how it’ll all end up!!

Charlton Team News
As Charlton continue to wait for their takeover, good news finally came out of Sparrows Lane this week with Lee Bowyer confirmed as Manager until the end of the season… the ex-Youth product making a storming success since his promotion to the hot seat and am sure many Addicks fans cant wait to see how events unfold in Bristol tomorrow.

For three games; Lee has confirmed that he’s been reluctant to make changes, yet against Rotherham finally overcame that reluctance in impressive style with Ezri Konsa and Jay Dasilva returning to their respective full back slots – You’d expect both to appear tomorrow, yet with Tariqe Fosu now injured for two weeks (groin), we could see the Chelsea loanee pushed forward more with Lewis Page returning to the Defence.

Ahmed Kashi has also now returned and is available for selection, giving Lee Bowyer an even bigger headache.

Amos
Konsa | Bauer | Pearce | Page
Reeves | Aribo | Forster-Caskey | Dasilva
Zyro | Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Kashi | Mavididi | Kaikai | Magennis | Marshall

Prediction
Unfortunately I don’t see our rivals dropping many points now and its important that we lose as few as possible… With important games coming up against four teams fighting for promotion, its imperative that we win the games against the rest – Failure to take three points tomorrow and it’ll be an anxious look at the results around us!!

Comments

• 1-2 and we march on.
  • Reckon this will be a tricky game. Such is the confidence at the moment, we’ve kind of seen this one as a banker. But I’ve never seen us win at Rovers.
    0-1....hopefully
  • edited April 2018
    wmcf123 said:

Bristol Rovers v Charlton Athletic
    Saturday 7th April 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Robert Lewis (Shrewsbury)

Introduction

Keeping the first two sections short for the rest of the season to add a temporary feature… Charlton travel to Bristol Rovers this Saturday in what was a repeat of the opening day of the season – Patrick Bauer scoring the sole goal of the game which saw Lee Novak sent off early doors.

The Opposition
    Name: Bristol Rovers | Manager: Darrell Clarke
    Ground: Memorial Stadium

Tomorrow Charlton travel to Bristol Rovers looking to cap off a memorial turn around… Our opponents though shouldn’t be taken lightly… Despite losing Billy Bodin to Preston in January; Bristol Rovers have started to climb the table and sit just beyond what is an epic fight for the Play-Offs… A win for the away side should keep Charlton in the Play-Off positions, a win for the opposition and we could see yet another side joining what is already a crowded fight for just a handful of positions.

The Play-Off Race
    Between now and the end of the season all Charlton can do is focus on winning their matches and let fate take care of everything else… The ideal situation would be seven wins out of seven yet matching the scores of our rivals will be enough to secure a Play-Off position.

With just six points separating fourth and nine… a lot can go wrong for anyone of those sides… Plymouth and Peterborough having the unenvious task of facing each other this Weekend – You could say that Portsmouth have the easiest tie (a trip to Rochdale), yet with their opponents fighting for survival, nothing is guaranteed at this late stage... Rotherham will play host to Fleetwood (a side rejuvenated under Paul Sheridan), the Millers will be looking to bounce back quickly after their heavy loss to the Addicks last Saturday.

You’d have to be a brave betting man to predict how it’ll all end up!!

Charlton Team News
    As Charlton continue to wait for their takeover, good news finally came out of Sparrows Lane this week with Lee Bowyer confirmed as Manager until the end of the season… the ex-Youth product making a storming success since his promotion to the hot seat and am sure many Addicks fans cant wait to see how events unfold in Bristol tomorrow.

For three games; Lee has confirmed that he’s been reluctant to make changes, yet against Rotherham finally overcame that reluctance in impressive style with Ezri Konsa and Jay Dasilva returning to their respective full back slots – You’d expect both to appear tomorrow, yet with Tariqe Fosu now injured for two weeks (groin), we could see the Chelsea loanee pushed forward more with Lewis Page returning to the Defence.

Ahmed Kashi has also now returned and is available for selection, giving Lee Bowyer an even bigger headache.

Amos
    Konsa | Bauer | Pearce | Page
    Reeves | Aribo | Forster-Caskey | Dasilva
    Zyro | Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Kashi | Mavididi | Kaikai | Magennis | Marshall

Prediction
    Unfortunately I don’t see our rivals dropping many points now and its important that we lose as few as possible… With important games coming up against four teams fighting for promotion, its imperative that we win the games against the rest – Failure to take three points tomorrow and it’ll be an anxious look at the results around us!!
    Plymouth have Scunthorpe, Rotherham and Portsmouth still to play, so I suggest that some of our rivals will be dropping points !
    Plymouth have three promotion chasing sides left to face... We've got four

What I meant in the prediction section was I dont any of the teams dropping many points against the Rochdale's and Fleetwood's of the league - they'll have the same mentality as us... those matches are the must wins, the games against the rivals, no one can afford to lose.

Would be lovely if we can go to Rovers tomorrow and get the same scoreline as last season - Do wonders for the Goal Difference
  • Great news that Kashi is back!!!! Was worried we'd seen the last of him in a Charlton shirt. I think he's going to like playing in this team a lot. He should have a bit more freedom and can use his range of passing better. Don't expect him to be able to start this week but our bench keeps getting deeper.

What I think the XI will be:
    Amos
    Dijksteel Bauer Pearce DaSilva
    ...............F-Caskey
    ..........Reeves........Aribo
    ................Mavididi
    ............Zyro.......Ajose

Bench: Phillips, Konsa, Page, Kashi, Kaikai, Marshall, Magennis

I think that last place on the bench, assuming Kashi is fit, is between Sarr and Marshall. FA I noticed you don't even have Dijksteel in your squad, which I could see. But I think he's been good at RB, and as good as I think Konsa has been this season he didn't do anything that floored me on Monday. So I think it's Dijksteel back in with Konsa moving to the bench.

Other question is who comes in for Fosu, and if we make a change at the top of the diamond or go to a flat 4-4-2. There were times on Monday when we looked to be playing flatter, with Kaikai left and Reeves right. I think it marganalizes Reeves and I don't think Aribo has the tactical discipline to play in a midfield two in a 4-4-2, even with DaSilva left and Reeves tucking in. I think bringing Mav into the team, assuming he's fit enough for 60-70 minutes would be ideal, with Kaikai the other option from the bench.

The other route would be to bring Konsa into midfield on one side of the diamond and move Aribo to the 10 role. I think Aribo has shown that he really excels when he has space in front of him to run in to, and he's not particularly impressed as a 10.
  • The winning march continues, 6 points over next 2 games, conceding 2 overall but scoring more on aggregate
  • Don't lose is the essential thing in this game, but given recent form very winnable, 1-3 the red/white platoon has a great trip.
  • 2 - 0 Charlton , Ajose with both, 1 in each half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Another comfortable 4-0 away win.

Just getting greedy now lol!
  • No Fosu for a couple of weeks is a blow as he was just starting to get back to his best. I don't think Bowyer will play Da Silva out of position (I wouldn't either although wing back may prove to be his best position in years to come). Play Mavididi there or worst case Kaikai. Kashi shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11 imo - far too negative & some of the reason why we've been better over the last 3 games is because he wasn't there to go backwards all the time.

I've had my head turned............... 2-1 away win with Ajose getting both.
  • Having gone for 3-0 in both the last two games, I am going for 3-0 again - Ajose, Zyro, Aribo.
  • No way he’ll play both Page and DaSilva... I’d give up on that one in the predicted line-ups

Team and bench looking strong, though

COYR
  • SDAddick said:

Great news that Kashi is back!!!! Was worried we'd seen the last of him in a Charlton shirt. I think he's going to like playing in this team a lot. He should have a bit more freedom and can use his range of passing better.

I think this will be the case with most, if not all, of the players now that Robbo has gone and Mr Bowyer is Lord of the Manor. Players will want to be in the side, playing the new, exciting (for us) style of footy; no more two-weeks-turning-into-two-months type of "injuries" because they're not that keen to play a crap system under a manager who talks more than he's prepared to listen.

Regardless of who plays at full-back I don't think this defence is going to be troubled too much tomorrow, Jackson has got the back-line well-drilled and much more in control than under the previous manager.

A run-of-the-mill 2-0 victory for the Addicks, saving a bit of energy for Tuesday's match. Hopefully young Nicky will get his long-overdue and much-deserved goal, the other goal coming from midfield.
  • Kashi shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11 imo - far too negative & some of the reason why we've been better over the last 3 games is because he wasn't there to go backwards all the time.

Different manager, different tactics = Kashi, different player.
  • edited April 2018
    3-1 away win, Malvidi in for Fosu. only change! As much as Fosu will be a loss similar players so shouldn't really disrupt us. COYR!
    agree with @palarsehater 4 points from next 2 games is the aim
  • 3-1 away win, Marshall in for Fosu. only change! COYR

Six points from the next two games should be the aim.

Of course! but 4 points is good still, you quoted me showing Marshall.. before i changed to Malvidi darn it!
  • 1-0 Charlton...Nervy game but we nick it.

Ajose finally gets his goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Winning teams Win and Charlton are a winning team at the moment.
  • edited April 2018

3-1 away win, Marshall in for Fosu. only change! COYR

Of course! but 4 points is good still, you quoted me showing Marshall.. before i changed to Malvidi darn it!
    Should have changed to Mavididi instead of that unknown Malvidi chap ... :wink:
  • 3.1 Charlton and our push for the playoffs continue.
    Safe journey to all travelling Addicks

Should have changed to Mavididi instead of that unknown Malvidi chap ... :wink:
    Bully!
  • Ajose taps in from 2 yards and we win 1 - 0

Jingle bells, jingle bells
    Jingle all the way
    Oh, what fun it is to see
    Charlton win away.
  • I have got a feeling that the winning run will come to an end.
  • Not sure who will be in the starting lineup, Konsa didn't do enough to suggest he ought to be choice RB, while Mavididi didn't do enough to suggest he should start ahead of Kaikai. And who will be chosen at LB?
  • 2-0 to us. Ajose and Reeves.
  • http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/16142373.bristol-rovers-manager-darrell-clarke-makes-play-off-admission-ahead-of-charlton-clash/

Rovers reckon their Play-Off hopes are over, with a number of senior players out, they'll be relying on their U23s
  • No way he’ll play both Page and DaSilva... I’d give up on that one in the predicted line-ups

Team and bench looking strong, though

COYR

Dunno... He mentions them both in the below article... Unless thats just to say its Dasilva's turn for a rest with Tuesday coming up, and having only returned from injury doesnt want to put too much strain on either

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/16139415.charlton-injury-update-tariqe-fosu-ruled-out-for-two-weeks-but-ahmed-kashi-returns/