Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Les Reed

Good to see Les Reed coming to the fore a bit more now. He hadn't said a word until this week, and now he can't stop!! Dowie should use Reed's experience to help take the load off himself. I still think that Les is a star and is probably our best bet of avoiding relegation this year.

Comments

• I feel some comfort in having Les Reed around, but it's Dowie's team and he must take ultimate responsibility.

Reed played a major role in his last stint at the club, that ended after the play-off final and he's one of the shrewdest coaches around. I hope that Dowie makes full use of it. I'd hate for Reed to leave to join Curb's or another club.
  • [cite] BlackForestReds:[/cite] I'd hate for Reed to leave to join Curb's or another club.

I agree with your sentiments BFR-

But i' fairly sure Mervyn Day will be Curbs' next assistant manager
  • When Curbs was interviewed on BBC Radio London about the book, he actually said something along the lines of "Merv's waiting for me to get a new job"
  • If Curbs wanted Les Reed involved in a coaching capacity, the option was there last season, and as he was posted to new zealand, spain and south africa, its only fair to presume he didn't want it !
  • Curbs then had Mervyn Day and Keith Peacock...
  • @BenSmithBBC: Southampton hope to appoint a replacement to Mauricio Pochettino before the World Cup. Les Reed leading search << feel for them if that's true.
  • @BenScmithBBC: Southampton hope to appoint a replacement to Mauricio Pochettino before the World Cup. Les Reed leading search << feel for them if that's true.</p>

Why? He wasn't cut out for management but he's been a success with everything else he's done.
  • @BenSmithBBC: Southampton hope to appoint a replacement to Mauricio Pochettino before the World Cup. Les Reed leading search << feel for them if that's true.</p>

Dont slag off uncle Les. Hes just looking for a manager and wise enough to not appoint himself :)

• Les Reed led the team that found Pochettino
  • He also led the team that found Osama Bin Laden
  • Sponsored links:

• Because it can be vicious, a true walk on the wild side and rarely provides a perfect day.
  • As a coach Les Reed is different class - as a manager - probably not, but then we were going through an awful period post-Curbs.
  • Les Reed's reputation has been slightly tarnished by Soton's recent struggles on the pitch, with the production line of top young players somewhat drying up, and their questionable recruitment
  • Phew, thought it was an RIP.

I thought the same, I hadn’t opened the thread before and suddenly saw thirteen odd posts on what I thought was a new thread and thought the worst
  • I had a client years ago who's son was in our youth team (U16's) & they said he was an excellent coach and a lovely man. Always wish him well & just sorry that his very brief time as our manager didn't work out well - but then neither Dowie or Pardew could do much with that squad so probably not a lot he could do.
  • Les Reed's reputation has been slightly tarnished by Soton's recent struggles on the pitch, with the production line of top young players somewhat drying up, and their questionable recruitment

Which by the sounds of it coincides with reed’s promotion (taking a step back perhaps) and it falling apart. I think koeman leaving was really not something they had considered.
  • I was quite happy when Les took over from Doughnut Dowie . He was Curbs right had man in our promotion and thought he would do well.
    Maybe management didn’t suit him.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm sure Les is a very nice man, but I never understood why he gets credit for Curbs team's. He resigned a few months before the end of the season and was kept on until the end of the playoffs. That season was all about the last couple of months when we were unbeaten winning 9 out of 10. By that time he was being pushed to the sidelines and replaced by Peacock.
  • I'm sure Les is a very nice man, but I never understood why he gets credit for Curbs team's. He resigned a few months before the end of the season and was kept on until the end of the playoffs. That season was all about the last couple of months when we were unbeaten winning 9 out of 10. By that time he was being pushed to the sidelines and replaced by Peacock.

Iirc from curb’s own account Reed was instrumental that season and was gutted he had to leave more for health reasons than anything.
  • edited April 2018

Les Reed's reputation has been slightly tarnished by Soton's recent struggles on the pitch, with the production line of top young players somewhat drying up, and their questionable recruitment

Which by the sounds of it coincides with reed’s promotion (taking a step back perhaps) and it falling apart. I think koeman leaving was really not something they had considered.
    There's only so many a Club will find and produce and if the revolving door only goes one way the team will, ultimately, suffer. Imagine what sort of squad they would have now with these in it (how much sold for originally and where now):

Gareth Bale (£7m) - Real Madrid
    Luke Shaw (£27m) - Man Utd
    Virgil van Dijk (£75m) - Liverpool
    Sado Mane (£34m) - Liverpool
    Nathaniel Clyne (£12.5m) - Liverpool
    Adam Lallana (£25m) - Liverpool
    Dejan Lovren (£20m) - Liverpool
    Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlain (£12m) - Liverpool
    Victor Wanyama (£11m) - Spurs
    Calum Chambers (£16m) - Arsenal
    Theo Walcott (£5m) - Everton
    Morgan Schneiderlin (£25m) - Everton
    Jack Cork (£3m) - Swansea
    Jay Rodriguez (£12m) - WBA

And we think we're a selling club!

Iirc from curb’s own account Reed was instrumental that season and was gutted he had to leave more for health reasons than anything.
    OK but Curbs probably being polite if health reasons why did he move for a job at the FA?

There's only so many a Club will find and produce and if the revolving door only goes one way the team will, ultimately, suffer. Imagine what sort of squad they would have now with these in it (how much sold for originally and where now):

Sadio Mane (£34m) - Liverpool

They sold Mane twice. Nice work.
  • iainment said:

Les Reed's reputation has been slightly tarnished by Soton's recent struggles on the pitch, with the production line of top young players somewhat drying up, and their questionable recruitment

Sadio Mane (£34m) - Liverpool

They sold Mane twice. Nice work.
    So good Liverpool bought him twice. Well spotted and duly edited.
  • edited April 2018

I'm sure Les is a very nice man, but I never understood why he gets credit for Curbs team's. He resigned a few months before the end of the season and was kept on until the end of the playoffs. That season was all about the last couple of months when we were unbeaten winning 9 out of 10. By that time he was being pushed to the sidelines and replaced by Peacock.

OK but Curbs probably being polite if health reasons why did he move for a job at the FA?
    FA jobs are pretty cushty, don’t have to travel every week like at a football club. A lot less day to day physically demanding work (standing in the cold shouting at footballers) and more of a desk job. Remember the bloke collapsed and very nearly died before leaving.

Koeman leaving might affect how the 1st team play, but presumably Les Reed was more in charge of recruitment and the academy

Jay Rodriguez was a Burnley youth product who Southampton bought for quite a few million. I don’t think Southampton can really take credit for developing him, even if they did make a profit on this outlay.
  • Ah but we would have probably sold that lot for undisclosed fees, about £3 million, total.