Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gold Coast Commonwealth Games

A shout out to Bermuda’s Flora Duffy who has just romped home in the Women’s Triathlon to win the games’ first gold. @LoOkOuT @Bermuda_red

I work with her brother, her family are from Burnley and are huge Clarets fans but have been in Bermuda for a long time. Lovely family and she is a world class athlete.

Comments

• There is an Australian girl who due to getting a bye in the first round of her boxing event automatically gets into the semi-finals and therefore guaranteed a bronze before her event even starts.

I'm Australian and god knows we need a sporting win with a rough couple of weeks, but this is an absolute joke.
  • btrain88 said:

There is an Australian girl who due to getting a bye in the first round of her boxing event automatically gets into the semi-finals and therefore guaranteed a bronze before her event even starts.

I'm Australian and god knows we need a sporting win with a rough couple of weeks, but this is an absolute joke.

She's not guaranteed a bronze yet... There will be four boxers in the Semi-Finals surely so one will still miss out on a medal...
  • btrain88 said:

There is an Australian girl who due to getting a bye in the first round of her boxing event automatically gets into the semi-finals and therefore guaranteed a bronze before her event even starts.

She's not guaranteed a bronze yet... There will be four boxers in the Semi-Finals surely so one will still miss out on a medal...
    if it's the same rules as the Olympics then losing semi finalists don't fight again and both get a bronze
  • I love the Commonwealth Games because you still occasionally see the 'ordinary' athlete from a small country getting a go on a big stage. Eddie the Eagle, Eric The Eel (I know they were both in the olympics) it's good to see them as a reminder that sport is pursued at lower as well as elite levels.
  • btrain88 said:

if it's the same rules as the Olympics then losing semi finalists don't fight again and both get a bronze
    Cheers, never knew that
  • LenGlover said:

I love the Commonwealth Games because you still occasionally see the 'ordinary' athlete from a small country getting a go on a big stage. Eddie the Eagle, Eric The Eel (I know they were both in the olympics) it's good to see them as a reminder that sport is pursued at lower as well as elite levels.

Agreed... I know he's ruled out injured yet Mark Cavendish loves these games because he gets to represent the Isle of Man

Unless its through him or Peter Kennaugh they dont stand a chance of winning a medal as the rest are Semi-Pros yet it didnt stop Cavendish from sticking around after his events when it was in India last time to help out with the mechanical side of things etc.