Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Car Insurance

Comments

• Swiftcover mentioned above came out ridiculously cheap when I got quotes but after reading some on line reviews of people who tried to claim went with Churchill.
  • Bell seem's the best, many thanks SE10 Addick. Seem's you get 1 year no claim's for being a named driver, similar to Direct Line.

I would prefer to go with direct line but being im quoted £1,850, probably due to my car being a active sport. And can get it a fair bit cheaper. I'll look forward to telling my dad the good news, nearly fainted when he saw £3,000 quoted the other day.

and ok Maria you were semi-right, but remember to read the whole paragraph next time (-:
  • [cite]Posted By: Bexleyheath_Red[/cite]Bell seem's the best, many thanks SE10 Addick. Seem's you get 1 year no claim's for being a named driver, similar to Direct Line.

I would prefer to go with direct line but being im quoted £1,850, probably due to my car being a active sport. And can get it a fair bit cheaper. I'll look forward to telling my dad the good news, nearly fainted when he saw £3,000 quoted the other day.

and ok Maria you were semi-right, but remember to read the whole paragraph next time (-:

Cheeky Monkey! Respect your olders... ;o)

lol
  • Wait til you get to 27 ....
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I find the whole Insurance thing a complete con, even if you are Fully Comp have an accident you lose out unless you have GAP insurance as well which picks up the difference between book price & what your car is really worth. I have had to swallow a £500 Excess this year on my car just to get my annual quote below £500 that with a fully protected no claims & being 38 years old. Don't count on your premium reducing significantly as you get older either another insurance fairytale i'm afraid.

Yeah but you do drive on racing slicks....
  • Just tried to add my 17 year old daughter to my car insurance so I can take her out to practice while she's having lessons and been told my monthly premium will increase from £38 to £325!! Obviously that ain't gonna happen. Might as well just pay for more lessons at that price. I'm with Aviva, anybody been through this and have suggestions?
  • My daughter went with Marmalade, they were the cheapest. They fit a black box but no restrictions. Your policy can go up if the driving trends are seen to be unsafe however.
  • Nug said:

Just tried to add my 17 year old daughter to my car insurance so I can take her out to practice while she's having lessons and been told my monthly premium will increase from £38 to £325!! Obviously that ain't gonna happen. Might as well just pay for more lessons at that price. I'm with Aviva, anybody been through this and have suggestions?

Used to work in the IT department of an insurance company and got to work on their motor policy system. Age and occupation put the premium through the roof.

The only way for some to get cheap insurance was to go for one of the new car deals that came with free insurance. The car companies appeared to be charged a flat rate for the business - the actual rate it should have been for the policy were in some cases a couple of grand higher.
  • edited April 2018
    Nug said:

Just tried to add my 17 year old daughter to my car insurance so I can take her out to practice while she's having lessons and been told my monthly premium will increase from £38 to £325!! Obviously that ain't gonna happen. Might as well just pay for more lessons at that price. I'm with Aviva, anybody been through this and have suggestions?

That rather indicates that they don't really want the business. However they do this: https://aviva.co.uk/insurance/motor/learner/. The Dayinsure product seems to allow cover for a couple of hours, a day or a few months. Might be (much?) cheaper if you want to stay with them? (But I note the max car value is £30k.) I assume your car is in quite a high group, looking at that quote.

Edited to add: surprised they didn't mention it to you. (It's "hardly communicating with customers in a clear, fair and not misleading" way is it?) I had insurance with them through their trading name of General Accident. I was interested in a new car and checked the difference on-line it was a little over £2. I thought, I can live with that. When I actually bought the car and tried inputting the number plate I just got a "we don't insure that type of vehicle" message. Had to cancel and change insurers on the QT because the new car was being left at Gatwick for two weeks the following day. Total nightmare.

On the plus side, the new insurers were cheaper and I went to town with Aviva, citing various FCA rule breaches and ended up with compensation equivalent to almost a free year's worth of insurance and an extra year's NCB.
  • cafcfan said:

Nug said:

That rather indicates that they don't really want the business. However they do this: https://aviva.co.uk/insurance/motor/learner/. The Dayinsure product seems to allow cover for a couple of hours, a day or a few months. Might be (much?) cheaper if you want to stay with them? (But I note the max car value is £30k.) I assume your car is in quite a high group, looking at that quote.

Edited to add: surprised they didn't mention it to you. (It's "hardly communicating with customers in a clear, fair and not misleading" way is it?)
    Thanks for this will check that out. My car is a Ford B-max so no not a high group.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nug said:

Just about to do the same (insurance for 17 yo learner). Have you considered getting her a separate policy? I looked at the weekend and I could get 'learner' policy with CatJnr as main driver (and me & wife as named) on a Peugeot 108 for about £300-£350 per annum through comparethemarket. Ramps up a lot as soon as they've passed the test and can go solo, but for a learner I didn't think that was too bad.
  • edited April 2018
    1 Go on comparison sites such as Gocompare, comparethemarket, moneysupermarket.

2 My son was 21 and found Bell the cheapest and they still are 3 years later.

3 I was surprised to find it was cheaper for him to insure a more expensive car, than an "old banger".
    Presumably because you will take more care driving a better car.
  • A policy with a black box can bring the price down.....cue Dave Mehmet response..
  • edited April 2018
    What is a shame is that some younger drivers are very responsible - and are penalised for the idiots. Last week there was about four young drivers overtaking cars having a race! It was crazy! When anybody is caught doing this, their license should be thrown away!

My 17 year old son taking lessons and it will be a problem for us soon. It is true the cost of insuring our car to take him out is much more than paying for lessons.

I am going to have to research whether it will be better to put him on our policy as a named driver for a year or so or buy him a Fiat Panda with a black box!
  • What is a shame is that some younger drivers are very responsible - and are penalised for the idiots. Last week there was about four young drivers overtaking cars having a race! It was crazy! When anybody is caught doing this, their license should be thrown away!

My 17 year old son taking lessons and it will be a problem for us soon. It is true the cost of insuring our car to take him out is much more than paying for lessons.

I am going to have to research whether it will be better to put him on our policy as a named driver for a year or so or buy him a Fiat Panda with a black box!

The trouble with insurance is that everyone gets hit by the actions of the few. I remember when I started driving my insurance wasn't too bad but now it's gone through the roof for youngsters.

I wonder how many uninsured drivers we have on the road?
  • Car insurance is not the only option. Instead you can get a "certificate of security".

This means you are effectively self-insuring and will be responsible for any claims made against you. You can then drive any number of the most exotic shiny machinery known to man and it will cost you nothing at all. (Unless you hit something, of course!)

"What's the snag?", I hear you say.

Well you have to deposit £500,000 with the Accountant General. [S144(1) RTA 88]

Government vehicles aren't insured and don't have a "certificate of security". As you will find out if you get hit up the back by an army truck towing an artillery piece. Yes, it did happen, lucky wasn't I? I had to make a claim off the MoD, which was fun.
  • What is a shame is that some younger drivers are very responsible - and are penalised for the idiots. Last week there was about four young drivers overtaking cars having a race! It was crazy! When anybody is caught doing this, their license should be thrown away!

The trouble with insurance is that everyone gets hit by the actions of the few. I remember when I started driving my insurance wasn't too bad but now it's gone through the roof for youngsters.

I wonder how many uninsured drivers we have on the road?
    loads - because the penalties for being caught without tax, insurance, no licence is ridiculously light.

If you are caught with insurance you should not only pay a fine, but the back payments that you should have been paying x 2. Then if caught again x 4. Same as banned drivers. Double the penalty every time & make sure they pay - if not lock them up.
  • cafcfan said:

Car insurance is not the only option. Instead you can get a "certificate of security".

This means you are effectively self-insuring and will be responsible for any claims made against you. You can then drive any number of the most exotic shiny machinery known to man and it will cost you nothing at all. (Unless you hit something, of course!)

Bearing in mind you have a technically unlimited liability for death or injury to a third party, unless you are utterly, mindblowingly, wealthy this really isn't an option.

• Rizzo said:

cafcfan said:

Car insurance is not the only option. Instead you can get a "certificate of security".

Bearing in mind you have a technically unlimited liability for death or injury to a third party, unless you are utterly, mindblowingly, wealthy this really isn't an option.

Well, yes, of course.

But interesting nonetheless don't you think that if you spot a Bugatti Veyron or a gold-plated Lamborghini Aventador pootling around the West End and wonder how much it costs to insure, the answer might be nothing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeah, I'm sure a fair amount of Arabs and Russians take advantage of that. And I wouldn't fancy trying to get anything out of a Russian in the event of a claim. I like my nerves un-gassed!!
  • @Covered End re: the old bangers vs new...it's not about wanting to take more care of a new car, it's because the safety features on new cars are much better than old bangers.. have an accident in a shiny new car and you (and, importantly, your passengers) are more likely to walk away unscathed...
  • Nug said:

Have you tried Churchill. Been with them for years and added both kids when they learnt to drive and then when they passed had them as a named driver and after 3 years Churchill would give them the no claim bonus if they stayed with them in their own name.
    We found this by far the cheapest way (although not cheap)
  • Nug said:

Have you tried Churchill. Been with them for years and added both kids when they learnt to drive and then when they passed had them as a named driver and after 3 years Churchill would give them the no claim bonus if they stayed with them in their own name.
    We found this by far the cheapest way (although not cheap)
    I'll check them out. She's only just starting lessons so not a case of her having passed and getting her inusured.
  • Just tried to cancel an Admiral Multi Car insurance policy on two vehicles I've just sold. The insurance runs out on 30th June.

Bastards want £55 to cancel the policy. Everyone wants their pound of flesh.

Was in two minds to put this in the 'scam' thread.
  • There should be a legal clause that says an insurance company cannot charge you anything for a vehicle you no longer own whether the contract runs out or not.

• There should be a legal clause that says an insurance company cannot charge you anything for a vehicle you no longer own whether the contract runs out or not.

As someone who's worked in Insurance for nearly 35 years I think these fee's should be outlawed.

Companies like Admiral get lots of business because their headline premium is often the cheapest. The only reason it is, is due to their fee scales. Sadly most people buy on price and don't pay attention to what they are signing up for.

Never buy insurance simply on price, invariably you get what you pay for.

Addickted said:
    Just tried to cancel an Admiral Multi Car insurance policy on two vehicles I've just sold. The insurance runs out on 30th June.

Bastards want £55 to cancel the policy. Everyone wants their pound of flesh.

Was in two minds to put this in the 'scam' thread.
    As above I don't particularly agree with the fee's, but it's what you signed up for when you took out the policy. If you honestly believe you didn't, or they didn't make you aware, tell them so.
  • Why not let the policies just run out. No cost to you and you would never get a part refund for one month. There has always been an 'admin' fee for any alterations to a policy.

• Whatever quote you get, take it to Adrian Flux and then to Chris Knott Car Insurance. Both are brokers, I manage to knock off a minimum of 80 quid a year on mine with those 2 every year. 
  • Why not let the policies just run out. No cost to you and you would never get a part refund for one month. There has always been an 'admin' fee for any alterations to a policy.

It will be against policy terms to do so, the reason being that if the buyer doesn't insure the vehicle and is involved in an accident guess which insurer is deemed as being on risk....... (Article 75 Insurer).