Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Surveillance cameras

Due to the rise of car thefts and burglaries, I wondered if anyone has cameras on their house/garage?

The igeek range look good.

Comments

• Yep, if you need someone to install some excellent quality kit look up DataDan on Facebook, he's one of my good mates
  • Just had all my cameras upgraded to hd quality. Can access on my phone when not at home, just the one in the dogs room that's actually in the house. Wouldn't be without it.image
  • Got a Swann set up from maplin, pretty good
  • We've had a couple installed recently after getting burgled a while back. We have them front and back and can watch\playback via mobile plus set up motion alerts when not around. We have a Pyronix system which a friend's company installed. Happy with it
  • Yep, with night vision as well. Really nice Sony cameras 2 at the front covering both angles and one in the back covering the back garden.
    Policeman knocked on door and asked if he could have a look at the previous days recording. We’d had a break in in the street. Unfortunately I haven’t had them switched on for 2 years at least.
  • Use Arlo netgear to keep watch on our cats and the house when we are away.
  • T_C_E said:

Just had all my cameras upgraded to hd quality. Can access on my phone when not at home, just the one in the dogs room that's actually in the house. Wouldn't be without it.image

Thank god we cannot see in your wardrobe :smiley:
  • Anyone any experience of wireless cameras? I can't be bothered with trailing cables all over the gaff.
  • cafcfan said:

Anyone any experience of wireless cameras? I can't be bothered with trailing cables all over the gaff.

It's worth having the main one connected via POI to your router/hub. Besides wiring is easy to hide, it's only a tiny cable
  • Wireless cameras especially HD take up a lot bandwidth on broadband so be warned if you have teenagers who complain a lot about your internet speeds.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcfan said:

Anyone any experience of wireless cameras? I can't be bothered with trailing cables all over the gaff.

You still need a power cable, so doesn't solve the cable issue.
  • T_C_E said:

Just had all my cameras upgraded to hd quality. Can access on my phone when not at home, just the one in the dogs room that's actually in the house. Wouldn't be without it.image

Cos its empty!!
    Jayajosh said:

Wireless cameras especially HD take up a lot bandwidth on broadband so be warned if you have teenagers who complain a lot about your internet speeds.

I changed mine to hardwired after problems with my internet, plus wireless go through batteries like theres no tomorrow.

• Thanks for all the input guys.
    T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

Cos its empty!!
    Jayajosh said:

Wireless cameras especially HD take up a lot bandwidth on broadband so be warned if you have teenagers who complain a lot about your internet speeds.

I changed mine to hardwired after problems with my internet, plus wireless go through batteries like theres no tomorrow.

I've seen some with rechargable batteries though. Like these: https://ebuyer.com/764915-netgear-arlo-vms4330-video-server-camera-s-vms4330-100eus
  • The ARLO kit on Amazon looks good but costs around £1k

Still tempted though because there are so many scumbags out there (and I have a habit of leaving my car unlocked at night at the moment)
  • We've got a Nest Camera for our driveway, works really well! it gives you an immediate update on your phone when the camera detects motion and you can go live and speak through the built in speaker which is handy
  • Swisdom said:

The ARLO kit on Amazon looks good but costs around £1k

Still tempted though because there are so many scumbags out there (and I have a habit of leaving my car unlocked at night at the moment)

Invalidating your insurance....
  • cafcfan said:

Thanks for all the input guys.

T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

Cos its empty!!
    Jayajosh said:

I've seen some with rechargable batteries though. Like these: https://ebuyer.com/764915-netgear-arlo-vms4330-video-server-camera-s-vms4330-100eus
    Mine were rechargeable, I meant we were constantly changing rechargeable batteries. ;)
  • I'm installing them as part of the renovation I'm doing on our place.
  • Swisdom said:

The ARLO kit on Amazon looks good but costs around £1k

Yep they are pretty good and you get an app on your phone to control them and playback the recordings, I have 4 pro cameras hooked up to a first gen base station. Picture quality very good and can also record or be triggered by sound as well as motion. The newer pro cameras are rechargable and you can hard wire using a special waterproof cable if needed. Punchy to buy, but as the original cameras got through very expensive batteries in no time at all it starts to offset the cost. I now have 4 old battery cameras gathering dust. Wish they had been rechargeable from day 1 !!
  • Got some kit off Amazon last year and set up with 4 cameras but pretty disappointed. Not being technical i struggled to set up the connection with my router and when i did I found that the software to download to my computer to set up cloud linkage only works for a PC not a Mac. Still can't view remote images on my iPhone. Settings to set sensitivity to trigger cameras to start recording and/or send alerts, can't be set to prevent flying insect or rain setting off false alerts. Maybe got the wrong kit, but tempted to get a professional to set it up.

Quality of HD image and night images are incredible though.
  • Sponsored links:

• We've got a Nest Camera for our driveway, works really well! it gives you an immediate update on your phone when the camera detects motion and you can go live and speak through the built in speaker which is handy

Waiting on the Outdoors IQ cam and the Hello doorbell from Nest