Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Players you underestimated when they signed...

Ben Amos stands out for me - I thought he was very poor and shaky when I first saw him but since then he's improved immeasurably. Player of the season for me.

His handling was excellent again yesterday and he always seems in the right place for crosses.

Comments

• From the current squad... Amos | Fosu | Kashi

Naby Sarr I think a lot of people underestimated him when he returned this Summer

Yann Kermorgant will be the ultimate player in this category though

I'm not sure anyone even knew anything about him when he signed..
  • From the current squad... Amos | Fosu | Kashi

Naby Sarr I think a lot of people underestimated him when he returned this Summer

Yann Kermorgant will be the ultimate player in this category though

I'm not sure anyone even knew anything about him when he signed..
    I think it was the typical Wikipedia scouting that we all did... I can imagine the responses on here would have been:

"Oh he was the bloke who missed that penalty for Leicester" OR

"Well his goal scoring record isnt up to much"
  • Has to be both Mendonca and Kinsella, both were known to be decent but how good were they also John Robinson oh how every team needs a Robbo, and before that Bob Bolder those wilderness years in the old1st Division.
  • Sponsored links:

• I have to confess Pope too, thought he was bang average when he left us, but he is clearly very good
  • Mark Kinsella, I can't imagine many people thought that a pretty much unknown Irish midfielder playing for Colchester would turn out to be such a good player

In a way were there many Curbs signings before Mendonca that people didnt underestimate?

Robinson certainly was I'd have thought seeing he was Robert Lee's replacement
  • Wasn't interested in the signing of Bradley Pritchard because of all the crap non-league signings we'd had under Pardew and Parkinson. That first game against Reading his performance was mind-blowing in comparison to what I was expecting.

Expected very little out of Leon Cort - thought he was just cover for Morrison and Taylor but he was even excellent a league up.

I also never really thought Jerome Thomas would play, just one of those big academy players who slips down the leagues until retirement. When Curbs first threw him in he was brilliant and I always thought he could do something special against any team, even if he was quite inconsistent.
  • edited April 2018

Wasn't interested in the signing of Bradley Pritchard because of all the crap non-league signings we'd had under Pardew and Parkinson. That first game against Reading his performance was mind-blowing in comparison to what I was expecting.

Expected very little out of Leon Cort - thought he was just cover for Morrison and Taylor but he was even excellent a league up.

I also never really thought Jerome Thomas would play, just one of those big academy players who slips down the leagues until retirement. When Curbs first threw him in he was brilliant and I always thought he could do something special against any team, even if he was quite inconsistent.

I thought Bradley Pritchard and Dale Stephens would be bit part players in that season we won the League

With Stephens being more for the future as wasnt he only about 21 / 22 when he joined
  • Di Canio - thought he’d cause trouble but he turned out to be brilliant for us
    Dean Kiely - never heard of him when we signed him, he’s now currently my favourite keeper in my lifetime

• Totally agree. John Robinson - £75k from Brighton following sale of Lee. How as he going to replace Lee? Looking back most of us would put him above Lee in a team of Charlton legends! I think I and others would have laughed at anybody suggesting that could be the case at the time.

Also would have to include Pardew. Sorry! I thought coming to us was just a swansong for an ageing past it player but he was excellent for us.

Robinson did take a few years to settle, it wasn't really until Les Reed came in (1995/96) that he really blossomed. It was really tough on him being signed as Robert Lee's replacement, as Lee was superb before he left.

Pardew was an excellent goalscorer for us at a time when we weren't prolific, but never seemed to be much loved by the fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• John Robinson. As a Rob Lee replacement on the cheap nothing was expected. Was a very good player.
  • Reeves, Amos - not when they signed but after I'd seem them play a couple of times. They've both improved a lot recently although Amos is still pedestrian in his distribution.
  • Derek Hales. Come on, who knew?

Luton certainly didn't ! What was he 4K ?
  • Di Canio. I remember being annoyed when I heard the news on holiday thinking ‘we don’t sign those sort of players’. He was no trouble and I absolutely loved him from the moment I saw him play.