Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will go up from L1 this season?

Has to be three out of Wigan, Blackburn, Shrewsbury and Portsmouth for me. I think Pompey will win the playoffs - Jackett is a shrewd manager and the club has the character needed.

I think we'll make the playoffs but I wonder how many of our players are up for a scrap? Be interesting to see how we cope at Fratton park?

Comments

• Yeah I think I potentially agree with that.

We've the players to win the play-offs yet Portsmouth and Peterborough both have Managers who have won the League One Play-Offs...
  • If Shrewsbury go straight up be either Wigan or Blackburn who win play offs
  • Playoffs are a completely different beast. Very hard to tell who wins out from the four teams.
  • Didn't help that Pompey won at home to Wigan ffs !!

Plymouth still have to play Scunny (postponed today), Peterborough & Pompey.

still think 72/73 points should secure 6th.
  • Wigan
    Blackburn

Shrewsbury beat Portsmouth
    We do Rotherham AGAIN

We beat Shrewsbury in Final 3-1

This is all providing Lee Lee Lee Bowyer stays in charge.
  • The top two are still very much up in the air. Whoever comes third will probably be quite a way ahead on points of 4th, 5th and 6th and so would fancy themselves to progress but as we all know, anything can happen in the play-offs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wigan, Shrewsbury, Blackburn.
  • I'd back us, Plymouth or Portsmouth against Shrewsbury over two legs.
  • Can't see past the top three unless one of them has an off day in the play off final.
  • Look at Millwall last season.
  • I am pretty sure that Wigan and Blackburn go up in autos.

I hope we get in the play offs and then have Shrews in the final. They deserve promotion for a phenomenal season so whilst I would clearly want to win, if they did beat us I would not begrudge them.
  • As long as Blackburn and Wigan get the automatics I think anyone else in this league is beatable on current form. Playoffs is a lottery.
  • Often the most in form team wins the playoffs. Hopefully Blackburn will finish in the top two with Wigan. Then the two in form teams are us and Portsmouth, lets hope we are kept apart in the playoffs and possibly meet at Wembley.
  • I think it's important to finish 5th (or 4th) this season.

Finishing sixth would mean playing one of the three outstanding teams this season over two legs. Generally in football, if you want to win against a better team then you're best off trying in a one-off match.

Finish 5th or 4th and we'd play a team (probably Rotherham) at 'our level' this season.

Winning that and you'd get a bash at one of the three team who are miles ahead of the rest in a one-off match, and that's always realistically do-able.
  • The way we are playing at the moment I don’t think we should be concerned about any of these teams. It’s probably the other way around.
  • It is usually the team that comes third that goes up isn't it? I ouldnt be surprised to see them go out in the first leg however after being so close to the prize
  • Sponsored links:

• Solidgone said:

The way we are playing at the moment I don’t think we should be concerned about any of these teams. It’s probably the other way around.

We're playing very well but if we do make the playoffs I would be concerned about our character. I'm so used to seeing us capitulate in big games in recent seasons that I find it hard to be confident.
  • I think the one who doesn't go up out of the top 3 will flop in the playoffs, it happens so often. Wouldn't bet against us at the minute, can't agree with Portsmouth going up tbh, they are a poor side with a great striker but i think you need more than that to win the playoffs
  • Can't see past the top three unless one of them has an off day in the play off final.

Plenty of Wembley favourites come away with nothing. Playoffs are virtually a lottery. Sixth place is just as likely to succeed as third in my opinion.

• It is usually the team that comes third that goes up isn't it? I ouldnt be surprised to see them go out in the first leg however after being so close to the prize

We came fourth when we won in 1998
    Millwall finished six when they won last year.

Position doesnt usually mean anything, its like that Brighton v Palace game a few years ago... Brighton should have won that Semi-Final tie yet because they didn't show up in one of the legs, they were left with too much work to do

Same with us effectively when we lost to Swindon with the Nicky Bailey penalty - We didn't show up for the Swindon tie, thankfully it was by chance that Deon Burton got a goal back and put us in with a chance at the Valley

Position doesnt usually mean anything, its like that Brighton v Palace game a few years ago... Brighton should have won that Semi-Final tie yet because they didn't show up in one of the legs, they were left with too much work to do

Same with us effectively when we lost to Swindon with the Nicky Bailey penalty - We didn't show up for the Swindon tie, thankfully it was by chance that Deon Burton got a goal back and put us in with a chance at the Valley
    The Bailey penalty still haunts me....
  • One game at a time, one game at a time :wink:

The Bailey penalty still haunts me....
    Is the only reason why I'd be happy to see us finish 5th or 6th

Means that if the Semi-Final goes to penalties... It'll be at their ground rather than at the Valley so will only have to sit and watch it on TV rather than standing there watching and waiting

In the 18 league one play offs this century, only 5 times has the side finishing 3rd gone up.

4th has gone up 6 times.
    5th - 3 times.
    6th - 4 times.
  • I'm gonna assume Wigan and Blackburn go up automatically and of the rest I fancy us against any of them in the final.

Semi finals would be the worry for me, wouldn't fancy having to go to Shrews/Pompey midweek needing to win.
  • If we get into the play offs we would be the form team so why not fancy us going all the way, keep the faith :wink: