Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Winnie Mandela RIP

Nelsons Mandela's ex wife has died aged 81.

Comments

• This will be interesting
  • As there's a match in progress, I'll give it an hour
  • Good, horrible cow
  • I'll let the people of South Africa judge her.
  • Sponsored links:

• She loved her football which makes her ok in my book.
  • Anagram of, 'aid nine lawmen'.
  • She was not a very nice person. The end.
  • Same as Bobmunro.
  • edited April 2018
    Was she a big Charlton fan?
  • Was she a big Charlton fan?

She was a plastic. Now then....Robert Mugabe is a proper Addick.
  • Is Chief Nzierbe going to the funeral
  • She loved her football which makes her ok in my book.

Blimey.
  • shirty5 said:

Is Chief Nzierbe going to the funeral

Stompie Moeketsie won’t be.....
  • Sponsored links:

• I met an old woman walking her pug one day and she told me the dogs name was Winnie Mandela. That's all.
  • This one isn't black and white (might be a better choice of phrase here, but I can't be arsed to find it).

She did an amazing amount of work against apartheid, but then subsequently backed necklacing and other horrendous practices. A character both good and bad - human, like all of us - and I will leave judgement to the South Africans.
  • Genuine question

why isnt she a very nice person?
  • Genuine question

why isnt she a very nice person?

Rumours that she was behind a few murders and weren't too bothered about practices such as burning people alive
  • PaddyP17 said:

This one isn't black and white (might be a better choice of phrase here, but I can't be arsed to find it).

She did an amazing amount of work against apartheid, but then subsequently backed necklacing and other horrendous practices. A character both good and bad - human, like all of us - and I will leave judgement to the South Africans.

most humans don't order the murder of others - I'd err on the side of bad...
  • From Wiki - In the 1980s, when she was based in Soweto, Madikizela-Mandela endorsed violent behaviour; including necklacing against alleged police informers and collaborators with the National Party government. Her security detail, known as the Mandela United Football Club, carried out a number of these actions, including the kidnapping, torture, and murder of such individuals, most notoriously the teenager Stompie Moeketsi. Nelson Mandela was released from prison on 11 February 1990, and the couple separated in 1992 but remained officially married until their divorce was finalised in March 1996. The couple remained in contact, and she visited him when he was ill in later life.[3] As a senior ANC figure, she took part in the post-apartheid ANC government, although was dismissed from her post amid allegations of corruption. The Truth and Reconciliation Commission established by Mandela’s government to investigate past human rights abuses revealed many of her violent activities during the 1980s; which damaged her reputation. In 2003, she was convicted of theft and fraud. She temporarily retreated from active political involvement although returned several years later.

Worse than what I remember tbh

RIP? No sorry, not from me..
  • PaddyP17 said:

This one isn't black and white (might be a better choice of phrase here, but I can't be arsed to find it).

most humans don't order the murder of others - I'd err on the side of bad...
    Most humans don't campaign like she did against systematic oppression on the basis of race.

Like I tried to point out, this is a pretty cyclical argument. I'm not familiar enough with all the nuance so I'm going leave judgement to South Africans and predominantly British white males on football forums who have a far better understanding of racial inequality than I do.
  • I met an old woman walking her pug one day and she told me the dogs name was Winnie Mandela. That's all.

Bit harsh on the dog!
  • Did the maggie thatcher thread get closed