Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Rotherham | Easter Monday | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Rotherham United
Easter Monday … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Graham Horwood (Bedfordshire)

Introduction

Two games played, six goals scored… 6-pts won – that’s the stark reality of Charlton Athletic under the caretaker stewardship of Lee Bowyer. On Friday evening, the Addicks travelled home from Northampton proving that their win over Plymouth wasn’t a flash in the pan. Tomorrow will be another huge match with Rotherham visiting the Valley in what could potentially be a Play-Off Semi-Final clash. Friday we proved it wasn’t a flash in the pan…

Tomorrow is a chance to prove we’re challenges and that our rivals should beware!!

The Opposition
Name: Rotherham United | Manager: Paul Warne
Ground: New York Stadium

When Rotherham were relegated from the Championship it was with a whimper and their start to life in League One looked to be a struggle… By the 26th August, just one victory had been recorded by the Millers, and when the Addicks came to town there was only ever going to be the one victor (Patrick Bauer and Josh Magennis getting the goals in what was a 2-0 win).

That result made it look as though Rotherham would be drifting around mid-table. Yet since December the Millers have been on an impressive run (even without Kiefer Moore whose loan ended in January), and like Plymouth have only lost three games in recent months… Funnily we all know how that ended for the latter!!

Charlton Team News
Other than the wins, the performances, and the clean sheets… the most refreshing part of life under Lee Bowyer is the insight that we get from his press conferences – Ahead of Fridays clash against Northampton, the caretaker was tempted to change things around, that temptation was ignored and you’d expect him to remain loyal to the same eleven players who are firing Charlton back into contention.

Of course, football isn’t about the first eleven, and on Saturday Lee was able to call upon Josh Magennis and Stephy Mavididi to continue making life difficult for the opposition – With just two players stuck in the treatment room, it’ll soon become a case of having to upset players as certain names continue to struggle to get game time.

Amos
Dijksteel | Bauer | Pearce | Page
Reeves | Forster-Caskey | Aribo | Fosu
Zyro | Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Konsa | Kaikai | Magennis | Mavididi | Marshall

Prediction
Despite being on a massive high from our last two games, caution must remain… The Addicks may just be two points from the Play-Offs (with games in hand), yet matching the results of those around us is so important – Beating Rotherham to fourth in the table should now be the aim, home advantage come the Play-Offs will be key!!

Comments

• 2.0 Charlton Ajose and Fosu.
    Another clean sheet and we climb into the top six.
  • Let's make some noise for the boys on Monday !
  • See this being very tricky. Rotherham will come for a point and hope to nick it. Hard fought and cagey with spoils shared-at 1 - 1
  • Tough game. I can see both teams scoring. I'm thinking this might be a Desmond. 2-2 Fosu and Zyro.
  • The game where Bowyer shows his mettle.

We go behind to a first half dead ball move but Bowyer changes it around and we will 2 - 1 (JFC and Magennis)
  • Hope Ajose gets on the scoresheet.
    2-1 us.
  • Think we will do em', 3-1
  • I think we will absolutely turn them over. 3-0 Ajose, Fosu and Reeves on score sheet.
  • Looks a tricky game but I feel strangely confident , 2-0 Fosu and Ajose.
  • 2 - 0 Ajose and Bauer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Lord Bowyer won't allow any complacency in the squad following the last two ripper performances; respect for the oppo and level heads all round.

For that reason it will be a comfortable afternoon: three points, three goals (although with the chances we'll create there will be disappointment it won't have been four or five), another clean sheet.

Ajose will finally get his well-deserved goal, backed up by Fossy and Stephy.
  • Isn’t Aribo injured? Maybe Kashi will return. Be interesting to watch him play in a different formation...
  • 3-0. Fosu, JFC and Ajose.
  • cafc-west said:

Isn’t Aribo injured? Maybe Kashi will return. Be interesting to watch him play in a different formation...

Kashi isn't fit.

• After the great news about us being taken over by that Sovereign Wealth geezer Mustaffa Leak, I predict a veritable gusher of goals from Bow's super doopa red roaring glory boys...

10-0 to Charlton.
  • Will Rotherham come to win or put nine men behind the ball? Can't see us keeping a clean sheet four times in a row, just as long as it's a consolation goal for the Millers!

• Tariqe Fosu: Charlton are reaping the rewards of Lee Bowyer’s formation change

Tarqie Fosu celebrates his second and Charlton's third goal at Northampton. Photo: Kyle Andrews
    POSTED BY: LOUIS MENDEZ 1ST APRIL 2018

Charlton midfielder Tariqe Fosu says that caretaker boss Lee Bowyer’s formation change has given the side new impetus.

The Addicks have won both of Bowyer’s game in charge so far, with the former Charlton academy graduate utilising a 4-4-2 rather than the 4-2-3-1 system that former boss Karl Robinson deployed.

The latest success, a 4-0 win away to Northampton Town, made it two wins out of two for Bowyer – and joint top-scorer Fosu reckons the switch affords the side a new-found freedom.

“He’s given us freedom – just told us to go out and play,” explained the 22-yard old, signed from Reading last summer.

“He’s changed the formation and that’s helped us a lot. He’s allowing us to play freely. Not giving us too much pressure. Everyday we’re training hard, doing things in training. It’s about putting it into the game.

“We’ve changed [the formation] and it’s working really well. It’s just about continuing and getting three points. (Michal) Zyro and Nicky (Ajose) have been very good. The link-up play has been very good. They’ve been holding up the ball running in behind. They’re supporting well and effecting games. It allows me to come inside and link up with the strikers – it’s been very good.”

The win over the Cobblers, in which Fosu grabbed a brace, leaves the Addicks just two points shy of the play-off positions, with at least one game in hand on those sides directly above them.

Fosu, who had to endure a frustrating few months on the side lines due to injury whilst his teammates struggled to get results on the field, says that points are more important than sparkling displays like the one seen at Sixfields in the race for the play-offs.

“The main thing is winning, getting the three points and trying to get into the play-off positions,” he said.

“That was the target. We won last week against Plymouth who are a good side and this game following is a good result as well. We went on a little spell where we were losing to it’s very good to win again – to get three points. The main thing is getting into the play-off positions, to try and get promoted.

“[My injury was] a bit frustrating but as a professional, these things happen. You get injured and it’s about bouncing back.

“[Reaching the play-offs has] always been the main objective and it hasn’t changed. We’ve been mentally strong and for us to come and perform is very good for us. Everyone’s buzzing and raring to go for the game on Monday (against Rotherham United). We want to get three points again. We’re in [on Saturday], we’ll recover well and go again on Monday.”
  • Dasilva looks to have passed the return to play tests and should be in the squad tomorrow.

Hopefully everyone has recovered well enough going into tomorrow. Same team, add Dasilva on the bench for well, not sure as it’s strong anyway. But same result.

3 points tomorrow, up to 6th.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rotherham United boss Paul Warne will be forced to change his promotion-chasing side for Easter Monday’s showdown with fellow play-off contenders Charlton Athletic. Left-back Joe Mattock and midfield man Richie Towell limped out of last Friday’s 1-1 home draw with Peterborough United which left the Millers in fourth place with only seven matches of the regular season remaining.

Mattock has already been ruled out with a hamstring injury and Towell is a major doubt for the clash at the Valley because of a similar problem. “I think Mattock might be a grade-one hammy,” said Warne after seeing his side concede in the 98th minute when they were set to take three points from Steve Evans’ Posh outfit. “The diagnosis on Mattock was given to me before the final whistle.

“Towell, I don’t honestly know because I haven’t spoken to the physio yet, but I think it could also be a hammy. It will be a blow if both are out.” Warne, who was intending to shake up his team anyway, was watching a replay of the game with his backroom staff yesterday before finalising his starting 11 against opponents who are two points and two places off the top six after winning their two matches under caretaker boss Lee Bowyer since the departure of Karl Robinson.

The Rotherham players were given yesterday off before travelling to London following training today. “I was already planning to change the side. I’d sort of told the lads that,” the manager said. “I was going to change the way we play and bring a couple of fresh faces in.

“I need to check how Charlton are playing. By all accounts, they’ve gone 4-4-2 now and got back-to-back wins.” In Towell’s likely absence, Will Vaulks is poised to move back into central midfield from centre-half, with Richard Wood returning to the heart of the defence. Warne, whose team dominated against Peterborough before their last-gasp setback, has to decide whether to play central defender Michael Ihiekwe at left-back or turn to out-of-favour Ben Purrington who hasn’t featured in the first team since September. The Millers are six points clear of the team just below them in the table, Scunthorpe United, and eight ahead of the side occupying the last play-off slot, Plymouth Argyle.

Read more at: https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/rotherham-united/rotherham-united-warne-making-changes-for-millers-charlton-clash-1-9092839

• JDS is one of the best players in the squad. Of course he makes the bench
  • Comfortable home win 4-0. I was tempted to go for 5 though the way we have been playing under Bowyer.

Don't change it now. You're on a roll.
  • Sage said:

Dasilva looks to have passed the return to play tests and should be in the squad tomorrow.

Hopefully everyone has recovered well enough going into tomorrow. Same team, add Dasilva on the bench for well, not sure as it’s strong anyway. But same result.

3 points tomorrow, up to 6th.

Leuth said:

JDS is one of the best players in the squad. Of course he makes the bench

Who do you take out though? - Sarr has the versatility of being able to play CB and LB

Would either be Marshall or Kaikai your leaving out...
  • Another game where whatever is happening on the pitch we need to get behind the team and be the 12th man.
  • As Rotherham have only won one of their last 5, and that was away to Northampton, I can see us winning this. I am going with 3-0.
  • Another game where whatever is happening on the pitch we need to get behind the team and be the 12th man.

A bit like every other game then.

Much tougher than the last two games
    we hang on for 1-0
  • 2-1 Charlton
  • Charlton Athletic FC

Verified account

@CAFCofficial
    Mar 31
    More
    2️⃣ wins from 2️⃣

Will you be joining us at The Valley on Monday when we host promotion rivals @Off@CAFCOfficial
    imagehttps://booking.cafc.co.uk/home.aspx #cafc
  • Charlton Athletic FC

Verified account

@CAFCofficial
    3h3 hours ago
    More
    Lee Bowyer previews tomorrow's Valley clash against @Off@CAFCOfficial
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5ac0c54557630/bowyer-previews-crucial-easter-monday-clash-against-rotherham-at-the-valley … #cafc