Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Travelling Australia

Australia....an imminent takeover...Harry Kewell...cheating cricket players

This thread is not attached to any those....although Australia in general may become quite a central talking point on Charltonlife in the imminent future... it sounds like.

I'm flying to Melbourne in late August and have a working holiday visa that could stretch to 2 years as long as I work on a farm for 3months.

Australian people that I have met on my travels have always appeared to be generally nice pleasant laid back fun kind of people.

When I get there I will be looking to work and settle as soon as I can...and my personal plan that I'm hopeful for... is to work on a farm for 3months pretty soon after arriving.
Sounds boring and bit too direct...but for my own mental security...I'd like to know I have an income straight away and can be self sufficient instead of digging a hole in my wallet.

After that, I intend to travel about and head towards Malaysia to travel the land. I would like to go to Vietnam at some point. My initial stop off before flying directly to Oz is actually Singapore for just 3 nights.
Found a bargain of 180 quid flight...then the rest to Australia brings it up to £270 in flight costs.

The general idea is to fly to Melbourne (maybe get a train to Adelaide) and work my way up from the south east to the north. Hopefully rent an conomy motorhome at some point.

Does anyone know of any good places to try and get work in Australia? I have not got much direction or ideas at the moment in this sense. Im getting advice from people but always good to hear more

Anyone want to share any Australian holiday stories or ideas? Would love to hear.

Might be useful stuff for others in a similar position or who are interested.

Cheers

Comments

• Do the Great Ocean Road if you get a chance. The wildlife is spectacular. Some of the animals are interesting too.
  • edited March 2018
    Two things:
    First always hide your polo mints from the Roos.
    Second wear one of these. (The Aussies have a marvellous sense of humour and they'll chuckle along with you.):

• Try and do Tasmania if you can. They may not have internet yet though.
  • edited March 2018
    This should do you right mate, no drama.

https://www.timeout.com/melbourne/bars/the-best-pubs-in-melbourne

For me mate, can’t beat the Espy.
  • Take plenty of sandpaper to sell on, there is a shortage over there.
  • Do you have any farm contacts lined up or what sort of farm work you'd want to do, as that's not something that most Brits do in Australia I imagine! Are you thinking more of working on vineyards, or getting intimate with sheep :smile:
  • If u r going Melbourne to Adelaide driving the Great Ocean Road is a must. Best way to see the real Oz is to drive. As long as you are not fussy I'm sure you will pick up casual work en route. If you want to walk straight into a job then find one on line, apply, do a Skype interview if needs be. My wifes cousins boy, 22, headed out in February, no job to go to but hasnt been out of a job yet, currently in Melbourne actually.
  • If u r going Melbourne to Adelaide driving the Great Ocean Road is a must. Best way to see the real Oz is to drive. As long as you are not fussy I'm sure you will pick up casual work en route. If you want to walk straight into a job then find one on line, apply, do a Skype interview if needs be. My wifes cousins boy, 22, headed out in February, no job to go to but hasnt been out of a job yet, currently in Melbourne actually.

Yeh it's probably worth not taking it too seriously and just see what happens.

Get the balance right.

Based on previous experience though you can never be prepared enough....but I think that mentality may not be the Oz way.
  • Stay in a pack packers and you will get all the up-to-date info on working in Oz and travel.
  • Was there for 3 weeks over Christmas and a did a year out there in 05)/06. Don't get the appeal of the great ocean road, far better roads around the alps.
  • Sponsored links:

• Was there for 3 weeks over Christmas and a did a year out there in 05)/06. Don't get the appeal of the great ocean road, far better roads around the alps.

Uhmm, maybe a bit touristy but i was saying why fly when you can drive? We drove inland a bit and took in The Grampians. Spectacular scenery and less touristy. The Glasshouse Mountains near The Gold Coast were stunning too.
  • Travelling up the east coast from Sydney to cairns last year was incredible.
  • Done some decent research and now have an idea of where I will be heading once I land in Melbourne. All that was needed really.

Good stuff on the thread

• Dave2l said:

Australia....an imminent takeover...Harry Kewell...cheating cricket players

This thread is not attached to any those....although Australia in general may become quite a central talking point on Charltonlife in the imminent future... it sounds like.

I'm flying to Melbourne in late August and have a working holiday visa that could stretch to 2 years as long as I work on a farm for 3months.

Australian people that I have met on my travels have always appeared to be generally nice pleasant laid back fun kind of people.

When I get there I will be looking to work and settle as soon as I can...and my personal plan that I'm hopeful for... is to work on a farm for 3months pretty soon after arriving.
    Sounds boring and bit too direct...but for my own mental security...I'd like to know I have an income straight away and can be self sufficient instead of digging a hole in my wallet.

After that, I intend to travel about and head towards Malaysia to travel the land. I would like to go to Vietnam at some point. My initial stop off before flying directly to Oz is actually Singapore for just 3 nights.
    Found a bargain of 180 quid flight...then the rest to Australia brings it up to £270 in flight costs.

The general idea is to fly to Melbourne (maybe get a train to Adelaide) and work my way up from the south east to the north. Hopefully rent an conomy motorhome at some point.

Does anyone know of any good places to try and get work in Australia? I have not got much direction or ideas at the moment in this sense. Im getting advice from people but always good to hear more

Anyone want to share any Australian holiday stories or ideas? Would love to hear.

Might be useful stuff for others in a similar position or who are interested.

Cheers

If you read my book 'The Grey Nomads' there is lots of info about traveling through Australia including driving the Stuart highway from Darwin to Alice springs down the middle of the country and across to Uluru (Ayers rock).
    Also a few stories about driving the Bruce highway from Port Douglas to Cairns then to Melbourne.
    I also wrote about travel in Malaysia.

My grandson is currently enjoying the 'Full moon party' in Thailand on his way to Australia to do some farm work.
  • Travelling up the east coast from Sydney to cairns last year was incredible.

That's more like it. Head up to Cape Tribulation and stop off at Fraser Island and the Whitsundays. Give anything West of Melbourne a miss.
  • edited March 2018
    My cousin is doing his working visa. He was with me in perth for a couple of months and then went and did his rural work to get the second year.

He travelled from perth to Sydney in a convoy with other backpackers, he found groups on Facebook, and said it was one of the greatest times of his life. He’s now in Sydney living and working in Bondi beach.

You will absolutely love it here Dave.

I can get in touch with my cuz if you’d like more details mate. Just PM me.
  • Not that many backpackers actually do the rural work, most just pay a back hander to the farmers who complete the paperwork.
  • edited March 2018
    Word to the wise. Australian customs officials have a particularly poor sense of humour and a fondness for strip searches.
  • I went to Australia for a weekend in 2015. Yes a W/E. It was my best mates 50th. Flew to Brisbane and stayed in a place called Noosa Heads. A fantastic resort, extremely rich, full of flash cars and a distinct lack of the indigenous population present as were any non Anglo Saxon types. In my few days there I found an unbelievable undercurrent of racism and homophobia from the residents I encountered. A sweeping statement of course but such was the prevalence of these issues that it really stuck with me to this day. My friend who's birthday it was and has residency acknowledged and accepted my findings. He lives in Sydney and says it's not as bad there but admits the country as a whole is decades behind us in terms of tolerance. To be fair so are most countries. We should be proud of the way we have changed over the last 20/30 years, we certainly lead Europe on diversity.
  • Christ don’t get @Danepak started on Melbourne....!!!

Make sure you try Baxters Inn if you make it to Sydney
  • Sponsored links:

• Riviera said:

I went to Australia for a weekend in 2015. Yes a W/E. It was my best mates 50th. Flew to Brisbane and stayed in a place called Noosa Heads. A fantastic resort, extremely rich, full of flash cars and a distinct lack of the indigenous population present as were any non Anglo Saxon types. In my few days there I found an unbelievable undercurrent of racism and homophobia from the residents I encountered. A sweeping statement of course but such was the prevalence of these issues that it really stuck with me to this day. My friend who's birthday it was and has residency acknowledged and accepted my findings. He lives in Sydney and says it's not as bad there but admits the country as a whole is decades behind us in terms of tolerance. To be fair so are most countries. We should be proud of the way we have changed over the last 20/30 years, we certainly lead Europe on diversity.

Judging Australia on the strength of a weekend at Noosa would be like an Aussie spending a weekend at Eastbourne and deciding England was full of obnoxious, right-wing pensioners.

In terms of diversity Australia is probably just as diverse as Britain, around 25% of citizens were born overseas and nearly 50% were either born overseas or had at least one parent that was.

Moreover, in around 20% of Australian homes English is not spoken as the first language, with around 300 languages spoken in the country.

Travel to Sydney or Melbourne and you’ll find a very different Australia.

By the way, given that the foreigner hating UKIP just got 4 million votes in a UK General Election and played the key role in forcing the UK out of the EU - principally on the issue of immigration - I’d probably ease off on claiming the UK is an oasis of tolerance!

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/lookup/Media Release3
  • Never been and would never go after watching soaps like the Sullivan's
  • I’ve travelled in Australia a bit but can help more with Malaysia if you want help with that leg of your trip. Send me a message if you wish.
  • Just wing it. That’s the fun.
    I went for two years and always found work.
  • Read Fatal shore for a bit of background.
  • jamescafc said:

Christ don’t get @Danepak started on Melbourne....!!!

Melbourne - best city in the world. No contest.
  • Danepak said:

jamescafc said:

It's an amazing city I stayed there for 2 months years ago and was there for last Christmas and New Year, I could live there but let's be honest, it's no Tokyo.
  • edited April 2018

Danepak said:

jamescafc said:

It's an amazing city I stayed there for 2 months years ago and was there for last Christmas and New Year, I could live there but let's be honest, it's no Tokyo.
    Cultural life, drinking spots, big global sporting events (Australian Open, F1, Melbourne Cup), AFL, excellent transport system, amazing wine district an hour away (Yarra Valley), great climate (although can get too hot in Jan/Feb). Only thing which Sydney has, are the beaches.
    Deeply in love with Melbourne. Auckland is a great city, but nothing compared to Melbourne.
  • Does anyone know about "couch surfing" or had any direct experience with it?

From my understanding, its a cheap accommodation route where you sign up to a service and sleep on someones couch.

I'm Researching online but would like to hear from any horses mouth that may have used it before.

I might also be completely wrong..... and it turns out that couch surfing is in-fact attempting to stand on a disposable sofa while it hits the waves. So its a sport.

ha....sofa

• Danepak said:

Danepak said:

jamescafc said:

Cultural life, drinking spots, big global sporting events (Australian Open, F1, Melbourne Cup), AFL, excellent transport system, amazing wine district an hour away (Yarra Valley), great climate (although can get too hot in Jan/Feb). Only thing which Sydney has, are the beaches.
    Deeply in love with Melbourne. Auckland is a great city, but nothing compared to Melbourne.
    Would rate Melbourne above Sydney (probably a 50/50 split with who rates one above the other) and Auckland but Tokyo trumps it.