Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Prog Rock - Recommendations

So if Ska and Metal can have their own threads, then Prog certainly can.

Currently enjoying Frost* - Saw them at Dingwalls in November and one of the best gigs I have ever been at. Falling Satellites has hardly been off my playlist since.

Kino have just released a new album, it's only been 15 years since the last. Radio Voltaire is rather good. Well worth a listen if you have Spotify.

Waiting for the Marillion Albert Hall DVD/Blueray to come out. I was gutted to have missed this concert, though getting front row seats at the Palladium gig almost made up for it.

Other bands/artists to check out - Bjorn Riis, his solo stuff and his band Airbag. RPWL, originally a Pink Floyd Cover Band now doing their own stuff - If you like early Floyd their albums reek of that style. The Pineapple Thief are worth a listen. As is Steven Wilsons last album, To the Bone.

Any more suggestions?

Comments

• Blimey, just literally finished listening to "Misplaced Childhood" by Marillion. Up there with one of the greatest ever albums, not a bad track on it.
  • Magnum
  • Sleeping pills ? :wink:
  • Coming Up For Blair
    Various Artists
    Spunk Bubble
    Mama's Cumquat
    Curse These Metal Hands
    Man Feelings
    Danny Dyer's Chocolate Homonculus
    13 Bastards
    All The Whores of Malta
  • Good man, I don't feel quite so alone musically.
  • As a crossover from the Metal thread, Opeth started to incorporate more Prog in their work, eslecially when Steven Wilson started producing their albums. These days they seem to have moved away from Death Metal/Prog-Death to more Prog.
  • Prog Death? Wow!
  • Rizzo said:

Magnum

On a Storytellers Night is one of my all time favourite songs
  • Focus all day long
  • Sponsored links:

• Sleeping pills ? :wink:

Don’t think you’ll need them.
  • I'm a massive Floyd fan but would add:

King Crimson
    Rush
    Yes
    Caravan
    ELP
    Jethro Tull
  • Genesis with Peter Gabriel
  • All of the above plus anathema are outstanding and of course Porcupine Tree.
  • Wishbone Ash
  • Anathema (last few albums), Norwegian band white willow's 'terminal twilight' album and Danish band Mew (pop / indie and prog mix).
  • Big Big Train are pretty good too.
  • Porcupine Tree
  • Satellite (Polish band)

I heard them first on Radio Caroline, Tim Charles 21.00 Thursdays, well worth a listen. He's a nice bloke, Hammers fan living somewhere across the river.

• bobmunro said:

I'm a massive Floyd fan but would add:

King Crimson
    Rush
    Yes
    Caravan
    ELP
    Jethro Tull

Until the 90's - Spirit of Radio is just plain old Rock.
  • Sponsored links:

• Closure in Moscow
  • Closure in Moscow

Novichock?
  • bobmunro said:

I'm a massive Floyd fan but would add:

King Crimson
    Rush
    Yes
    Caravan
    ELP
    Jethro Tull

Until the 90's - Spirit of Radio is just plain old Rock.
    So 2112 and Hemispheres? Plain old Rock? Clockwork Angels is pure Prog, its a bloody concept album!
  • edited March 2018
    My recommendation is avoid it ;)
  • Been listening to Foxtrot, Nusery Crymes and Selling England by the Pound recently.
  • edited March 2018

Been listening to Foxtrot, Nusery Crymes and Selling England by the Pound recently.

How's that well know Bognor restaurant owner "Harold the Barrel", is he still serving them up for tea?
  • Kansas - Song for America.

Caravan - The Land of Grey and Pink

As well as the classic 70s stuff by Genesis and Yes. 80s stuff by them is pretty awful though and pretty much anti-prog. How the bands behind Cinema Show and Close to the Edge came out with Invisible Touch and Owner of a Lonely Heart is hard to understand.
  • Kansas - Song for America.

Caravan - The Land of Grey and Pink

As well as the classic 70s stuff by Genesis and Yes. 80s stuff by them is pretty awful though and pretty much anti-prog. How the bands behind Cinema Show and Close to the Edge came out with Invisible Touch and Owner of a Lonely Heart is hard to understand.

They didn't have the courage of their convictions. They all started playing synth guitars and wearing silk jackets with the sleeves rolled up.
  • FOCUS
    A quite splendid fusion of Rock /Baroque / Jazz and Funk.
    In recent times, they have performed at The Beaverwood Club in Chislehurst.

CURVED AIR
    Have also played at The Beaverwood Club.

CAMEL (have a listen to The Snow Goose LP)

HAPPY THE MAN
    I rate highly this American prog band. You might like their eponymous debut LP.

Anything by the wonderful RENAISSANCE.

I also recommend a London-based band called THE FAR MEADOW.
    They have recently recruited a female singer and have changed their sound somewhat from the days of employing a male singer. I saw them recently at a Prog gig in Sidcup and thought that they were excellent.

Was meant to see Curved Air this month in Kinross where i used to live, but the bad weather cancelled the gig and trip. Superb band live and considering Sonia is nearly 70 she is still fantastic.

Snow goose is a phenomenal album. Camel very underrated band.