Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Metal Music - Any recommendations?

Hi
The Ska thread made me listen to some music that I really didn't enjoy, so I wanted to ask if anyone has any metal recommendations?

I don't listen to metal often, usually only at the gym... And almost always using Amazon Music's 'All Metal' station...

What metal music do other posters who enjoy it recommend?

I like most bands in the category so am open to any and all metal recommendations.

Comments

• Nope. Got nothing to contribute to your listening pleasure I'm afraid. Love my (mostly classic) rock but metal just leaves leaves me cold. Look forward to seeing what others suggest though.
  • Recently got back into UFO. Rock Bottom is an all time classic
  • Forget football. Never has a thread been more designed for me. Depends how heavy you want to go, you've got old school heavy metal (Black Sabbath), 80s Thrash (Metallica - Megadeth), more 'modern' stuff (Machine Head, Mastodon, Trivium), and the very heavy black/death metal (Arch Enemy, Cannibal Corpse) - if you're new to the genre I would recommend working your way forward from the earlier stuff I mentioned at the start. There's a whole host of other sub-genres within it all but you're going down the rabbit hole if you go down that route.

What kinda stuff/bands have you dabbled with before when in the gym etc?
  • What kind of metal? 80s’ NWOBHM? 70s’ hard rock? Would you include screamo, thrash, death, metalcore?

My favourite from the early days is Speed King by Deep Purple but I’m sure someone will tell me that’s not metal.
  • Early to mid Iron Maiden, early to mid Judas Priest, WASP, Scorpions, L7, Motorhead....
  • Just listened to metal based on this thread, particularly the All Metal Station on Amazon Musoc... This music is atrocious on the ears.

Don't get it but then I don't get the Elvis era rock and roll fascination either.

I am however cleansing my ears with the All Ska station on Amazon Music.
  • Sooooooo many bands...
  • Metal Music? - surely a brass band
  • Early to mid Iron Maiden, early to mid Judas Priest, WASP, Scorpions, L7, Motorhead....

Scorpions are playing the o2 in June. Never managed to see them, so might try and go.
  • I generally am not big into metal metal (love noise rock, hardcore, post hardcore, art rock etc etc) but metal in general has never really done it for me. However, there is one exception: Gojira.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2018
    Iron Maiden's Number Of The Beast is as good a place to start as any.

If you're looking at 80s thrash metal then Reign In Blood by Slayer is a mighty fine way to pass half an hour.

My Dying Bride is one of my favourite bands, a wonderful blend of Death/Gothic/Doom metal; Opeth take Death Metal and give it a touch of Prog Rock treatment, Orchid and Morningrise are highly recommended.

Emperor is a pretty good Black Metal band (Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk and In the Nightside Eclipse get regular airings through the Briston_Addick speakers); although often poo-pooed by Black/Extreme Metal die-hards, Cradle Of Filth also get my vote with Dusk ... And Her Embrace as their best album in my opinion.

A bloody good (and, at times, fun) sub-genre is Folk Metal (I've been overdosing on this recently :smiley:). The style of metal varies from band to band: genre pioneers Skyclad combined old-school metal with folk, whilst Irish band Cruachan mix Black metal influences with traditional Celtic melodies. Scandinavia and Finland is a particularly good source of Folk Metal, Finntroll, Korpiklaani, and Moonsorrow being personal favourites. Edit: forgot to include Ensiferum - bloody idiot.
  • bass solo - metallica

My mate used to play it in his car ALL the time
  • Saxon new album worth a listen, nearly up there with the classic albums.
  • Any Old Iron - Peter Sellers.
  • Thunder ... South London Boys who I’ve been following from the days of their inception. From White Noize to Nuthin Fancy to Terraplane to Thunder. Very good live.
  • Ear plugs?
  • Made in Japan - Deep Purple should get your foot tapping.
  • Solidgone said:

Made in Japan - Deep Purple should get your foot tapping.

If it doesn't call a doctor...................you have lost the use of your legs :wink:
  • edited March 2018

Sooooooo many bands...

Yeah. It depends how heavy you want it really. Anaal Nathrakh or Nasum are a hell of a long way from Deep Purple.

Maybe Pantera or Machine Head to start? Both are fairly heavy, accessible and good for adrenaline. 'Vulgar Display of Power' and 'Burn My Eyes' are 2 genre classics, not a filler song between them.

If you like that but it's perhaps not quite enough, go for Slayer (Reign in Blood, as my learned friend Briston says) and see where that takes you. It might be noise or you might absolutely bloody love it and open your ears even further.
  • Sponsored links:

• What kind of metal? 80s’ NWOBHM? 70s’ hard rock? Would you include screamo, thrash, death, metalcore?

My favourite from the early days is Speed King by Deep Purple but I’m sure someone will tell me that’s not metal.

I went to the NWONHM 2 day gig in Sheffield in December last year. Not really my cup of tea - but a few of my mates are bang in to that sort of thing.

Scorpions are playing the o2 in June. Never managed to see them, so might try and go.
    They are indeed Dave, June 16th. Tickets booked ;-)
  • Speaking of Japan, if you want a change of pace from hairy blokes shouting at you, why not try some of the 'girls metal' bands from Japan. They're usually at the melodic power metal end of the scale. Bands like Lovebites, Aldious, Mary's Blood and Lightbringer are easier on the ears (and eyes) and they have some amazing vocalists and ridiculously skillful guitarists.
  • edited March 2018
    Fantastic stuff. Gonna listen to a bit of everything to find my happy place!
  • Iron Maiden - Powerslave, Number of the Beast, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Piece of Mind

Metallica - Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning

Megadeth - Rust In Peace, Peace Sells But Who's Buying?

Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell, Paranoid, Black Sabbath, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Master of Reality

Judas Priest - British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance, Painkiller

Kiss - Kiss, Destroyer

Anthrax - Among the Living

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Nice....put that up as a playlist on Youtube and I will be your first subscriber.
  • _MrDick said:

Thunder ... South London Boys who I’ve been following from the days of their inception. From White Noize to Nuthin Fancy to Terraplane to Thunder. Very good live.

Thunder is the band I've seen most often live, despite never having gone to one of their own concerts. They just seemed to support pretty much every other band that I did go to see back in the day.
  • Metal means different things to different people. It has so many sub-genres it can make your head spin.

Lots of good recommendations for older stuff, but also try out some newer bands. My recommendations, across the spectrum

Against Me
    Arch Enemy
    Birthday Massacre (much heavier live)
    Epica
    Halestorm
    In This Moment
    Marmozets
  • Enter Sandman - Metallica.