Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Home Counties Thread

East / West Sussex - Seaford - Eastbourne - Bexhill - Catsfield and beyond.

Over to you

Comments

• That's only one of the traditional Home Counties.
    You should have called it the Sussex thread.
  • East / West Sussex - Seaford - Eastbourne - Bexhill - Catsfield and beyond.

Over to you

Can we include Plymouth aswell
  • Any progress with the takeover? Not sure I like these Harry Kewell rumours.

Anyway, don't want to derail this thread, although it would be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on Brexit.
  • MrLargo said:

Any progress with the takeover? Not sure I like these Harry Kewell rumours.

Anyway, don't want to derail this thread, although it would be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on Brexit.

What.....no mention of SouthEastern Reailway?
  • MrLargo said:

Don't worry Mike, I'll get to that, although if this is a Home Counties thread then I should also probably mention my appalling experiences at the hands of Southern and Great Western, particularly the state of the gents' toilets at Basingstoke station.

• What? Cornwall excluded again!

The Council of Europe's framework convention for the protection of national minorities has already been informed.

Kernow bys vykken!

#eatmorecornishpasties
  • MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

Don't worry Mike, I'll get to that, although if this is a Home Counties thread then I should also probably mention my appalling experiences at the hands of Southern and Great Western, particularly the state of the gents' toilets at Basingstoke station.
    Basingstoke has South Western, Great Western and Cross Country trains through it but I believe South Western maintain the station. I assume you're talking about the ones on platform 2/3 which are a bit ropey.

(living on the periphery of the might B'Stoke, I always think of myself being proper country and not part of the 'home counties' twin set and pearl brigade)
  • CatAddick said:

MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

Basingstoke has South Western, Great Western and Cross Country trains through it but I believe South Western maintain the station. I assume you're talking about the ones on platform 2/3 which are a bit ropey.

(living on the periphery of the might B'Stoke, I always think of myself being proper country and not part of the 'home counties' twin set and pearl brigade)
    Ignore him Cat, if the Royal Train stopped and picked him up each day bang on time he would find something to moan about.

I reckon someone stood on his Hornby 08 Diesel Shunter when he was a kid and he has had it in for railways ever since.
  • Sponsored links:

• As a resident of Basingstoke I can confirm the toilets are always bad, as cataddick says platforms 2/3 are the worst

My mum left her Radar key at mine a couple of years ago and I've kept it for use at train stations due to the minging toilets that most have, it also comes in handy at the London stations as there is no charge for the disabled ones.
  • CatAddick said:

MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

Ignore him Cat, if the Royal Train stopped and picked him up each day bang on time he would find something to moan about.

I reckon someone stood on his Hornby 08 Diesel Shunter when he was a kid and he has had it in for railways ever since.
    Oi Oi Oi Mike! There's no need for that sort of hostility! Fairly certain that the Royal Train has ample seating, functioning toilets, has never been delayed due to a displaced train crew, and if Liz or Phil ask the guard what time it's due to arrive at Windsor & Eton he does something a bit more helpful than just grunt and gurn at them.

Obviously as a Charlton supporter I love trains, which is why I get so furious at South Eastern for destroying every trace of sexiness and glamour from my morning and evening commute.

By the way, the 08 Shunter's a nice piece of kit, but I'm more an admirer of the understated elegance of the Class 45.
  • MrLargo said:

CatAddick said:

MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

Oi Oi Oi Mike! There's no need for that sort of hostility! Fairly certain that the Royal Train has ample seating, functioning toilets, has never been delayed due to a displaced train crew, and if Liz or Phil ask the guard what time it's due to arrive at Windsor & Eton he does something a bit more helpful than just grunt and gurn at them.

Obviously as a Charlton supporter I love trains, which is why I get so furious at South Eastern for destroying every trace of sexiness and glamour from my morning and evening commute.

By the way, the 08 Shunter's a nice piece of kit, but I'm more an admirer of the understated elegance of the Class 45.
    Probably true if they go to Riverside as that is South Western, trains are generally good but the stations let them down :-)

not a fan of GWR personally tho' the trains do look nice, they always seem to be overheated if I go on the Basingstoke-Reading push-pull
  • MrLargo said:

CatAddick said:

MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

If you are being serious for once :smiley: the Class 45 is a fantastic bit of kit. I am opening myself up here for some piss taking as I do take more than a passing interest in trains but the Class 45 is up there with the best.
  • The Sulzer type 4 you mean...
  • Strong regional and “working class” accents might hold people back in their careers as will a "posh" accent, according to the business leaders.

The worst accent for a top job would be a “working-class” Essex accent with 70 per cent of respondents admitting they might have serious doubts about employing someone who spoke with one.

David Beckham’s cockney twangs also fail to impress with 49 per cent believing this accent could present a problem in business.

The next least popular male accent in a senior role belonged to Prince Charles with nearly a third of business leaders admitting they would have second thoughts about employing an executive who sounded like him.

The “best” accents selected from a list were those belonging to Peter Jones (Dragon’s Den) and Clare Balding (Sports Presenter) – whose accents are both hard to place.

The regional accents most closely associated with success are Home Counties’ and American according to 61 per cent of respondents.

This is closely followed by Scottish (46.8 per cent).

More than 40 per cent of respondents associated the Liverpudlian accent with a lack of success, followed by the Birmingham accent (33 per cent) and estuary English or cockney (32 per cent).

The poll was carried out by the executive communications consultancy, The Aziz Corporation.

The organisation’s Chairman, Professor Khalid Aziz said: “This survey shows yet again that many potential business leaders may be condemned by their accent.

“There will be those who will argue that this survey points up prejudice. If that is so sadly not much seems to have changed in the last six years and in some cases, the Scouse accent, attitudes have hardened.”
  • A proper thread I can get involved in. Born in Sussex and living back in Sussex now. Worked in Bexhill//Hastings for 6 months. Bexhill is God’s waiting room.
  • A proper thread I can get involved in. Born in Sussex and living back in Sussex now. Worked in Bexhill//Hastings for 6 months. Bexhill is God’s waiting room.

Why SouthWest_Addicks as a name, then?
  • edited March 2018
    CatAddick said:

A proper thread I can get involved in. Born in Sussex and living back in Sussex now. Worked in Bexhill//Hastings for 6 months. Bexhill is God’s waiting room.

Why SouthWest_Addicks as a name, then?
    Lived in South West London for almost 6 years, but have returned back to the coast.

I decided not to change my username because I believe I have build up enough loyalty under this username, and did not want to start again as a newbie. Additionally I would then have to rely on writing insightful comments, instead of getting cheap likes and lol for my highly respected opinion.
  • MrLargo said:

CatAddick said:

MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

If you are being serious for once :smiley: the Class 45 is a fantastic bit of kit. I am opening myself up here for some piss taking as I do take more than a passing interest in trains but the Class 45 is up there with the best.
    Michael, I never joke about trains.

Having done a quick Google, I think I meant the Class 40, which I picked because it was used in the Phil Collins "Buster" film, which is notable for containing 2 references to Charlton and mentioning Eddie Firmani.

This thread has now been fully and comprehensively Charltonised. Viva los trens!
  • Sponsored links:

• MrLargo said:

What's the best Pot Noodle flavour is what I want to know.

Maybe we could do a World Cup of Pot Noodles....
  • MrLargo said:

What's the best Pot Noodle flavour is what I want to know.

Maybe we could do a World Cup of Pot Noodles....
    Recently moved house. Bit of a doer-upper so no proper kitchen for me for the next couple of months - I expect to be a globally-recognised authority on Pot Noodle flavours by mid-April.
  • Oggy Red said:

What? Cornwall excluded again!

The Council of Europe's framework convention for the protection of national minorities has already been informed.

Kernow bys vykken!

#eatmorecornishpasties

The houses aren't expensive enough :wink:
  • MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

CatAddick said:

MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

Michael, I never joke about trains.

Having done a quick Google, I think I meant the Class 40, which I picked because it was used in the Phil Collins "Buster" film, which is notable for containing 2 references to Charlton and mentioning Eddie Firmani.

This thread has now been fully and comprehensively Charltonised. Viva los trens!
    Now you are talking, the Class 40 is a beast.
  • Dazzler21 said:

The Sulzer type 4 you mean...

That's the one
  • edited March 2018
    Macronate said:

Strong regional and “working class” accents might hold people back in their careers as will a "posh" accent, according to the business leaders.

The regional accents most closely associated with success are Home Counties’ and American according to 61 per cent of respondents.

The Home Counties don't have an accent, it's just how people are meant to talk.

• Class 40s are nothing compared to the mighty 55s
  • Sussex, the only English county to be mentioned on The Simpsons (twice)?

https://youtu.be/n5qn_kShlDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNNCyCOXoSk

• I came here for the Pot Noodle chat, I'm leaving disappointed.

The new Wetherspoons ain't bad though.