Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bad driving - is it policed?

Narrowly avoided being hit by a tipper truck who was weaving in and out of the traffic on the A206 in Charlton this morning. His driving was quite shocking particularly given the size of the truck.

It has felt over the last few years that dangerous driving has got a lot more prevalent particularly with drivers glued to their smartphones and also driving far too fast for the road conditions. There doesn't seem a lot of visible policing.

Weaving in and out of traffic at high speed seems particularly prevalent on the motorways now - I see it regularly on the M11 and M25. This is an incredibly dangerous thing to do and I wonder how well policed it is.

Smartphones seem a far bigger danger than drink driving now? I've been overtaken by a guy using a smartphone and tablet while driving at 70+ recently and witnessed cyclists wearing headphones and using one hand to operate their phone.

Invariably now some motorists can't even keep in the right lane because they're too busy using the phone and I'm amazed there are not more accidents on roundabouts because of this. It's about time manufacturers or technology companies developed software to close phones down.

Cars are undoubtedly safer than they used to be but as for drivers? There needs to be more effort to deal with smartphones in the same way there was with drink driving.

Comments

• Saw the same in Charlton last night at about 6. Two tipper trucks from the same firm cutting each other up and messing about.
  • Saw the same in Charlton last night at about 6. Two tipper trucks from the same firm cutting each other up and messing about.

Report it to the firm.
  • I'd definitely say its not policed... Roads just appear lawless these days

Even the simply things like lane discipline just doesn't exist anymore

Report it to the firm.
    The one I saw this morning didn't have any signs on the truck otherwise I would have contacted the firm. Loads of these trucks on the road in SE London.
  • The tipper trucks are paid per shuttle that they complete. Its why they seem to drive worse than other HGVs
  • Daddy_Pig said:

The tipper trucks are paid per shuttle that they complete. Its why they seem to drive worse than other HGVs

Explains why they drive so fast...
  • Seems that indicating when turning left at a roundabout has all but disappeared.
  • Seems that indicating has all but disappeared.

This.................it is everyman for himself on the roads nowadays.
  • Sponsored links:

Hell I'd even say that I'm just as bad

The amount of times I'll go over from the 4th lane into the 1st lane (not in one movement, instead I move lane, check I can come in etc.) overtake everyone in the other three lanes and then slowly move back out again

Is this the issue or the fact that there aren't enough traffic police - not really sure?

I find the situation with smartphones very worrying as it seèms to be getting worse. The only accident I've had was someone driving into the back of me in heavy traffic when the only possible explanation seems to be them looking at their phone.

The authorities and police need to act on this as there are a load of selfish twats who don't give a shit. I'm astonished at the sentencing in this area as it sends out the message it doesn't really matter - needs to be a life ban from driving.
  • I feel there is a lack of patience and tolerance - like you are the only perfect driver. We all make mistakes on the road and the ones that don't think they do are often the ones that intimidate nervous drivers and cause accidents IMO.
  • If you think its bad here you should try driving across America (like i did). Some states seemed to be worse, but on the whole it was a pretty intense experience.
  • Lane weaving seems to be a real problem along the A2 from Falconwood to Bexley. There are no average cameras along that stretch and some people know it so they feel they can drive as fast as they want. Unfortunately for them, everyone else thinks they have to drive at 50 so apparently the only option for those in the know is to weave in and out of the slower moving traffic, usually with no indication. It will come as little surprise to anyone that most such drivers are in 'luxury saloons', ie Audi's, BMW's etc.

Is this the issue or the fact that there aren't enough traffic police - not really sure?

I find the situation with smartphones very worrying as it seèms to be getting worse. The only accident I've had was someone driving into the back of me in heavy traffic when the only possible explanation seems to be them looking at their phone.

The authorities and police need to act on this as there are a load of selfish twats who don't give a shit. I'm astonished at the sentencing in this area as it sends out the message it doesn't really matter - needs to be a life ban from driving.
    I would say the two go hand in hand. No police on the roads equals people taking more liberties because they know the chance of getting caught is next to zero.

If I am in the inside lane on a motorway I don't bother going out and round middle lane hogs anymore, I just undertake them.

I am happy to admit I rarely drive within the speed limits, I tend to do 40 in a 30, 50 in a 40, 70 in a 60 and 80 plus on the motorway.

I know where most speed cameras are on the common routes I drive and I have been caught out a couple of time by pop up mobile units but considering I have been driving for over 40 years I have got away with more than I should have.

I have to use the M25 once a week at 7am in the morning and around 5pm in the evening and some of the things I see on every trip makes you realise how out of control the roads are getting.
  • Practically no traffic police left because of cutbacks and less response police as well. But also don't forget the Police shouldn't be picking on poor old drivers, they should be out catching real criminals.

Report it to the firm.
    Grass

I would say the two go hand in hand. No police on the roads equals people taking more liberties because they know the chance of getting caught is next to zero.

If I am in the inside lane on a motorway I don't bother going out and round middle lane hogs anymore, I just undertake them.

I am happy to admit I rarely drive within the speed limits, I tend to do 40 in a 30, 50 in a 40, 70 in a 60 and 80 plus on the motorway.

I know where most speed cameras are on the common routes I drive and I have been caught out a couple of time by pop up mobile units but considering I have been driving for over 40 years I have got away with more than I should have.

I have to use the M25 once a week at 7am in the morning and around 5pm in the evening and some of the things I see on every trip makes you realise how out of control the roads are getting.
    Middle lane hogs are a pain but if someone does weave in and out of traffic it will inevitably eventually lead to an accident. If someone is indicating to pull in from the middle or outside lane and someone is hurtling up the inside lane at high speed it is a potential disaster. A lot of accidents are avoided by drivers anticipating the actions of the lunatics...
  • Theresa May asked me to pass on her response:

"We are spending more money on policing than ever before."
  • Sponsored links:

• DA9DA9
    edited March 2018
    Rizzo said:

Lane weaving seems to be a real problem along the A2 from Falconwood to Bexley. There are no average cameras along that stretch and some people know it so they feel they can drive as fast as they want. Unfortunately for them, everyone else thinks they have to drive at 50 so apparently the only option for those in the know is to weave in and out of the slower moving traffic, usually with no indication.It will come as little surprise to anyone that most such drivers are in 'luxury saloons', ie Audi's, BMW's etc. I

As someone who spends 8-9 hours & drives 200-300 miles per day, I concur, the majority of the ignorant, dangerous bell ends that do this drive the aforementioned vehicles.
  • I'll honestly never understand middle lane hogs... You've overtaken someone now move over - If your a nervous driver doing it, then just stay in the first lane as your out the way of everyone then

I've lost count the amount of times I decide not to do 70mph down the motorway and drop to about 55 / 60mph to save some fuel on my way too and from work, yet whenever I do that I'm instantly in the first lane

Yes weaving / undertaking cars isn't the best idea yet it reduces traffic congestion and saves all cars having to move into the fast lane to overtake one inconsiderate driver - Yes undertaking can cause an accident as you cant anticipate what the hogger might do, yet that's all the more reason not to sit in the middle lane and be more considerate to other drivers out there
  • edited March 2018
    I think middle Lane Hogs can be a problem, but generally I just overtake them. And yes they may be a nervious driver not the antichrist! Some people just like a moan and want to feel superior. My biggest annoyance is lorries overtaking at 1mph faster than the other vehicle.

I'd like to see minimum speed limits on motorway lanes - but the outer lane should be 85mph, the middle 70mph and the inner 60 or 65mph. Their should ideally be lorry overtaking zones, but lorries can't move to the 70mph plus lanes.
  • On my way home from work last night,a young guy in an Audi A1 was within touching distance of my rear bumper as i approached a red light. I obviously slowed to a stop,he overtook me,went the wrong side of the traffic island,swerved to miss an oncoming car that had the green light and proceeded up the road doing about 50mph i'd guess. Absolute dickhead.
  • I'll honestly never understand middle lane hogs... You've overtaken someone now move over - If your a nervous driver doing it, then just stay in the first lane as your out the way of everyone then

I've lost count the amount of times I decide not to do 70mph down the motorway and drop to about 55 / 60mph to save some fuel on my way too and from work, yet whenever I do that I'm instantly in the first lane

Yes weaving / undertaking cars isn't the best idea yet it reduces traffic congestion and saves all cars having to move into the fast lane to overtake one inconsiderate driver - Yes undertaking can cause an accident as you cant anticipate what the hogger might do, yet that's all the more reason not to sit in the middle lane and be more considerate to other drivers out there

Completely different argument, weaving in and out of fast moving traffic, way above the speed limit, is never acceptable. As witnessed by Me practically every day, M25 yesterday, all traffic moving well, no middle lane hoggers, just one impatient arsehole deciding he wants to do 90-100 and travel across 2 lanes from the fast lane, undertake, then back across to the outside lane at high speed, not once did he brake or indicate, dangerous and I for one hope he runs into a wall at high speed soon.
    Same thing happened couple of weeks back on the north circular near the A13, again, everyone doing the 50 limit, just a lot of traffic, another knob weaves in and out of the three lanes in his BMW, nothing to do with undertaking slow middle lane joggers, which I agree is sometimes necessary, just arrogant, idiotic organ donors.
  • On my way home from work last night,a young guy in an Audi A1 was within touching distance of my rear bumper as i approached a red light. I obviously slowed to a stop,he overtook me,went the wrong side of the traffic island,swerved to miss an oncoming car that had the green light and proceeded up the road doing about 50mph i'd guess. Absolute dickhead.

Yes, and these are the people that kill you on the motorway and the ones we should be moaning about more

I always hope that I overtake people like that a few minutes later after they've crashed into a lamppost or something.

Probably a get away car or running late to meet his bird.
  • I think middle Lane Hogs can be a problem, but generally I just overtake them. And yes they may be a nervious driver not the antichrist! Some people just like a moan and want to feel superior. My biggest annoyance is lorries overtaking at 1mph faster than the other vehicle.

I'd like to see minimum speed limits on motorway lanes - but the outer lane should be 85mph, the middle 70mph and the inner 60 or 65mph. Their should ideally be lorry overtaking zones, but lorries can't move to the 70mph plus lanes.

Like this idea... i.e. Have a rule where Lorries cant overtake on hills