Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• What a load of old bullocks. Still he's never gonna publicly admit it's really because he's a tactically limited manager who can only talk a good game.
  • If he changes formation now and we start winning. That would be openly admitting he had chosen the wrong formation all season.
  • johnny73 said:

If he changes formation now and we start winning. That would be openly admitting he had chosen the wrong formation all season.

Not necessarily, no. We started the season well playing 4-2-3-1. It might mean he's chosen the wrong formation in recent weeks though.

He's not wrong about Ajose. He has worked harder and looked to drop deeper but he hasn't exactly changed games. He made a couple good runs in behind against... Someone I can't remember who, when we were chasing a goal. But he's a very niche player.

As for Zyro, I think he's a wide forward in a 4-3-3 but he also looks capable of playing as a 9 or 10. When we've played him on the right he's looked very isolated, which to be fair everyone does because they have to cover Solly and there is no overlapping run which means teams can double up against our right winger. I hope he's given another chance on Saturday. On a better pitch with a better team performance behind him I think he has the ability to be very effective.
  • SDAddick said:

johnny73 said:

If he changes formation now and we start winning. That would be openly admitting he had chosen the wrong formation all season.

Not necessarily, no. We started the season well playing 4-2-3-1. It might mean he's chosen the wrong formation in recent weeks though.

He's not wrong about Ajose. He has worked harder and looked to drop deeper but he hasn't exactly changed games. He made a couple good runs in behind against... Someone I can't remember who, when we were chasing a goal. But he's a very niche player.

As for Zyro, I think he's a wide forward in a 4-3-3 but he also looks capable of playing as a 9 or 10. When we've played him on the right he's looked very isolated, which to be fair everyone does because they have to cover Solly and there is no overlapping run which means teams can double up against our right winger. I hope he's given another chance on Saturday. On a better pitch with a better team performance behind him I think he has the ability to be very effective.
    On the problem with the good start to the season was we were relying on wonder goals from midfielders. That was never gonna be sustainable.
  • DRAddick said:

SDAddick said:

johnny73 said:

On the problem with the good start to the season was we were relying on wonder goals from midfielders. That was never gonna be sustainable.
    Especially after the midfielder that scored the most wonder goals moved on.
  • edited March 2018
    DRAddick said:

SDAddick said:

johnny73 said:

I think that's true to some extent. But if you look at games like Rotherham away or Bradford away, Bristol Rovers at home in the opening day, it was kind of scruffy goals an set piece goals. There were obviously wonder goals in there, but Holmes' strike against Oldham was one of four goals, Fosu's wonder run against Fleetwood one of three, JFC with that lovely curler was the fourth of four.

I think it's a broader problem that we stopped scoring goals full stop.

And while you can't expect to, let alone rely on scoring those kinds of goals in every game, it is the advantage to having skillful players like Fosu or Holmes or JFC, part of the trade off with them struggling on pitches like the one on Tuesday.
  • God, he even says he played 4-4-3 in one game!!!! Hasn't got a clue!
  • Oh how I long for a simple old fashioned 4-4-2
  • Oh how I long for a simple old fashioned 4-4-2

What about

GK
    RB LB
    RH CH LH
    OR IR CF IL OL
  • edited March 2018
    Robinson, like his teams, does not do well under pressure and this is a bad interview. But it feels like a lot of the tactical criticism of Robinson is that he doesn't play 4-4-2, and the criticism of 4-2-3-1 is that it isn't 4-4-2. And I think that's a red herring for other tactical failures like the inability to break down teams, or to maintain the defensive shape in transition, or to track runners from midfield, or team selection.
  • Sponsored links:

• 4 -3-2- 1 should go in the dusty bin.
  • SDAddick said:

johnny73 said:

He's not wrong about Ajose. He has worked harder and looked to drop deeper but he hasn't exactly changed games. He made a couple good runs in behind against... Someone I can't remember who, when we were chasing a goal.

Against Bradford. Ran in behind and was wiped out by the defender.
  • Simonsen said:

SDAddick said:

johnny73 said:

He's not wrong about Ajose. He has worked harder and looked to drop deeper but he hasn't exactly changed games. He made a couple good runs in behind against... Someone I can't remember who, when we were chasing a goal.

Against Bradford. Ran in behind and was wiped out by the defender.
    Yes that's the one. Good run and the kind we've been missing all season really. But the problem is in order to play the type of football Ajose needs to be successful, you need 11 players on the pitch working for a patient build up, and Ajose himself is not well suited to contributing to the build up. It's that or hitting teams on the counter and teams tend to sit deep against us in a way they didn't against say, Swindon a couple years ago.
  • edited March 2018
    If you say the strikers aren't fit, why haven't you played them in U23 (they've been in squad for two months FFS) and why send KAG on loan for season after he only played wide on odd occasions he was used? You don't think our top goalscorer can play alongside Josh rather than wide?
  • edited March 2018
  • The theee players who arguably held the 4231 together were Kashi , Clarke and JDS

They are all injured , why would you persist with a formation when you don’t have the right players for the job.
  • Formations don't win football matches, players do. We have played four at the back all season, we have still conceded loads of goals.
  • Sponsored links:

• From the other Robbo thread...

He talks like going into the season without enough strikers and almost a dozen wingers wasn't his own decision.

• From the other Robbo thread...

He talks like going into the season without enough strikers and almost a dozen wingers wasn't his own decision.

I think that's somewhat harsh. I don't think he wanted to play the first half of the season with just Mag and Dodoo. And it sounds like January was a case of signing whoever we could get.

Don't get me wrong he has plenty of tactical shortcomings, and has not gotten the best out of the players he has, but I don't know how much control he has over the number of players brought in.
  • SDAddick said:

From the other Robbo thread...

I think that's somewhat harsh. I don't think he wanted to play the first half of the season with just Mag and Dodoo. And it sounds like January was a case of signing whoever we could get.

Don't get me wrong he has plenty of tactical shortcomings, and has not gotten the best out of the players he has, but I don't know how much control he has over the number of players brought in.
    Billy Clarke, Tariqe Fosu, Mark Marshall, Ben Reeves, Sulley Kaikai, Stephy Mavididi, Michal Zyro
    vs.
    Joe Dodoo, Leon Best

If you haven't got enough strikers, go out and get some.
  • SDAddick said:

Billy Clarke, Tariqe Fosu, Mark Marshall, Ben Reeves, Sulley Kaikai, Stephy Mavididi, Michal Zyro
    vs.
    Joe Dodoo, Leon Best

If you haven't got enough strikers, go out and get some.
    But strikers cost money, I think that's a big difference here. Of all those listed only Fosu cost a minimal fee. And with the likes of Zyro, Mav, and Kaikai I suspect their wages are heavily subsidised.
  • SDAddick said:

He had control over loaning KAG out.

KAG was fit, scoring and might have been a good partner for Magennis in a 442.

Did Tarbuck try it? No.

He had Mavididi. He was fit and scoring and might have been a good partner for Magennis in a 442.

Did Tarbuck try it? No.

When we didn't have the players for 4231 last season he played it regardless.

Now he uses not having the right players for two up top to stick with 4231.

Excuse after excuse after excuse.

Defeat after defeat after defeat.
    KAG has one goal in the league. Two of his goals came in the Checkatrade trophy. I'm really happy he's scoring goals but in his absence he's become something that he wasn't. And he would have been the seventh or eighth choice attacker if he'd stayed and I fear that would have stunted his growth.

As for Mav, we desperately miss him, in large part because in our system he could both drop deep to pick up the ball and run at teams, or run beyond Josh to create space for the attacking midfielders. I don't think you need a 4-4-2 with Mav, I think he's better suited to the freedom one of the attacking roles provides.
  • He keeps on moaning we do not score enough goals but insist his formation of 4-2-3-1 is the best
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Did Tarbuck try it? No.

He had Mavididi. He was fit and scoring and might have been a good partner for Magennis in a 442.

Did Tarbuck try it? No.

KAG has one goal in the league. Two of his goals came in the Checkatrade trophy. I'm really happy he's scoring goals but in his absence he's become something that he wasn't. And he would have been the seventh or eighth choice attacker if he'd stayed and I fear that would have stunted his growth.

As for Mav, we desperately miss him, in large part because in our system he could both drop deep to pick up the ball and run at teams, or run beyond Josh to create space for the attacking midfielders. I don't think you need a 4-4-2 with Mav, I think he's better suited to the freedom one of the attacking roles provides.
    Kag scored in the FA cup v league 1 opposition and in the Checkatrade v league 1 opposition.

Regardless he was on form, fit and scoring. No attempt was made to play him in a 442.

No one claiming he is a world beater, the point was he was available to play in a front two.

Tarbuck ignored that opportunity just as he always has because he will only set the team out one way.
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Did Tarbuck try it? No.

Did Tarbuck try it? No.

Kag scored in the FA cup v league 1 opposition and in the Checkatrade v league 1 opposition.

Regardless he was on form, fit and scoring. No attempt was made to play him in a 442.

No one claiming he is a world beater, the point was he was available to play in a front two.

Tarbuck ignored that opportunity just as he always has because he will only set the team out one way.
    But why does he need to set the team out 4-4-2? Is it the best way to accommodate Reeves, Fosu, or Holmes?

I think the difference here is that you view 4-4-2 as the default, with everything else being a deviation. And I don't. And I'd argue a lot of our players will have played in a 4-2-3-1 more than they have a 4-4-2.