Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CARD statement 15/3/18: protests set to resume on Easter Monday (ed. cancelled)

edited March 2018 in General Charlton
The Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet (CARD) is to stage a day of protest at The Valley on Easter Monday unless there is firm news of new Charlton Athletic owners before April.

Fans have finally run out of patience after team manager Karl Robinson made clear on Tuesday night that even he no longer believes what he is told about the takeover by the existing two-man club board.

Robinson told the media after the latest defeat: “Our CEO was gone at the end of December. Our financial director has gone now. We were told the club would be done in two weeks. That was seven or eight weeks ago in the beginning of January. We thought we’d have somebody in in mid-January to try and push us forward and give us some funds. I’m stood here in mid-March and being told it’s nowhere near.”

CARD said: “While we appreciate the takeover requires a degree of confidentiality, it has become clear that that neither Karl Robinson nor a majority of fans now feel they can rely on what director Richard Murray says.

“Murray said on February 28th that a price and terms had been agreed and ‘we are now just waiting for their respective lawyers to finalise the sale and purchase agreement’. Robinson’s comments suggest the manager has now been given a different story.

“Fans have been very patient this season and wanted to give Karl Robinson and the players every chance. But another opportunity to get out of League One has been squandered, the club has no effective leadership or strategic direction and there appears to be every prospect of this continuing into the summer, while the absentee owner sits in Belgium counting his money.

“If necessary we intend to target Roland Duchatelet’s business operation in Belgium for lawful protest, as well as all three April matches at The Valley, because this situation cannot and will not be allowed to continue indefinitely.”

CARD will announce further details for the Easter Monday game against Rotherham United in due course, with the games on April 14th and 28th to follow, and is focusing its attention abroad on Duchatelet’s plan to open a new 25-room hotel in Belgium in May.

The group is also calling on Charlton fans to boycott season-ticket sales for 2018/19 until new owners are in place.

CARD said: “If the club is sufficiently foolish to bring out its season-ticket prices ahead of a takeover we would hope most fans would say enough is enough.

“Nobody needs to buy a season ticket for August at this stage and Duchatelet would be bound to take it as evidence that he can do anything he likes. It’s no longer about loyalty to the club, which we all share, but propping up his rotten regime.”

Comments

• I'm in.
  • Great timing as usual. I believe it needs to as much Belgium focused as possible
  • No need to boycott season tickets sale, they won’t have even gone on sale before the end of April.
  • Much needed
  • Excellent. Finally I have some motivation to attend a game again.
  • Very Good. Especially the bit about Murray.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good stuff, It'll give the Burger Boy something to do as well, with planning a response, now that Sparrows Lane is on "hold"
  • If Murray has been spun a line by Belgium then he needs to tell us that. He’s surely got the balls to ring Roland and demand straight answers. If he hasn’t or doesn’t get them then he should tell us exactly that and walk. I for one would at least give him credit for that.

Regarding him walking, it would be a good principled stance, but I think there's a very strong counter argument to be made that if he walks the day-to-day functions might start to implode. Those with greater knowledge of how the club is currently being run can disagree or shed more light, but it feels like Murray is doing the jobs of two or three people and if he left things within the club might start to unravel.

Obviously things aren't good now, and Murray doesn't come out of this as a good guy, but I do think things can get worse.
  • SDAddick said:

If Murray has been spun a line by Belgium then he needs to tell us that. He’s surely got the balls to ring Roland and demand straight answers. If he hasn’t or doesn’t get them then he should tell us exactly that and walk. I for one would at least give him credit for that.

Regarding him walking, it would be a good principled stance, but I think there's a very strong counter argument to be made that if he walks the day-to-day functions might start to implode. Those with greater knowledge of how the club is currently being run can disagree or shed more light, but it feels like Murray is doing the jobs of two or three people and if he left things within the club might start to unravel.

Obviously things aren't good now, and Murray doesn't come out of this as a good guy, but I do think things can get worse.
    How much more implosion can there possibly be ? No CEO, No CFO, A manager and team underperforming and demanding answers. An owner who knows less about CAFC than your average Millwall fan.

I think it’s getting to the point of complete collapse.

• SDAddick said:

If Murray has been spun a line by Belgium then he needs to tell us that. He’s surely got the balls to ring Roland and demand straight answers. If he hasn’t or doesn’t get them then he should tell us exactly that and walk. I for one would at least give him credit for that.

Murray's away, according to Robinson this morning. Realistically, he isn't doing one job, never mind three. He's just someone on the end of a phone for the remaining senior staff and a link to Duchatelet. He isn't running the club.
    So who is? The sandwich arranger?
  • Sponsored links:

• HarryLime said:

Good stuff, It'll give the Burger Boy something to do as well, with planning a response, now that Sparrows Lane is on "hold"

We should be careful that Burger Boy doesn't get overloaded. He's already preparing the annual accounts, drawing up a prioritised list of transfer targets, working with police to victimise protesters, planning next seasons menus and taking training tomorrow morning. There's no one else here to do those things.
  • edited March 2018
    cafc999 said:

SDAddick said:

Murray's away, according to Robinson this morning. Realistically, he isn't doing one job, never mind three. He's just someone on the end of a phone for the remaining senior staff and a link to Duchatelet. He isn't running the club.
    So who is? The sandwich arranger?
    As Muzza is away it's got to be him, the last one standing - the Chief Operating Officer...........Can't we bring the protests forward :naughty:
  • No matter what protests are held, here or in Belgium, and even if the senile old tosser is still around I guarantee THOUSANDS of people WILL renew their season tickets.
  • addick05 said:

No matter what protests are held, here or in Belgium, and even if the senile old tosser is still around I guarantee THOUSANDS of people WILL renew their season tickets.

Not this one. Not buying till he has gone. Will be my 3rd year without a ticket.
  • Cant imagine Murray is too pleased with Robbo at the moment.

His recent words became a catalyst for the new organised protests

• Addickted said:

Cue another Murray statement 48 hours before the protest.

He will make a statement saying that a statement will be made in 72 hours... as long as card do not go ahead with the protest.