Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Fleetwood | Sat 17 Mar | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Fleetwood Town
Saturday 17th March 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Mark Heywood (West Yorkshire)

Introduction

Tuesday nights defeat at Blackpool was probably a new low for Charlton fans… Making the trip up to Lancashire was a chance for the Addicks to take advantage over their rivals for the Play-Offs, yet rarely managed to put any sort of attack together. This Saturday we play host to Fleetwood Town, it’s a chance for Karl Robinson to put things right, there cant be many left who believe that he can.

The Opposition
Name: Fleetwood Town | Manager: Paul Sheridan
Ground: Highbury

When Charlton made the trip to Lancashire for the reverse fixture, it was as a team full of confidence and promise… It was the day when Tariqe Fosu made a name for himself in an Addicks shirt, scoring his first hat-trick for the club in what was a 3-1 victory and so send the Addicks back into the Play-Offs.

At the time, the result was impressive based on what Fleetwood managed last season, sadly for the Cod Army there has been no repeat this time round. Despite pushing Leicester City to a replay in the FA Cup, its been a season that has refused to get going… as is the way with football; Uwe Rosler who performed miracles last season, has been sacked…

In his place comes John Sheridan, another experienced Manager with the likes of Oldham / Plymouth and Notts County on his CV – Only two games have been played under his stewardship yet with both of those earning Fleetwood a point (the more recent of those would end Plymouth’s impressive run), its clear he’s stopped the rot… For our opponents to survive though, they need to start winning games and fast.

Charlton Team News
As Charlton fans, its nothing new to see players joining with injury records (We’ve had plenty over the last few years) – Yet Lewis Page has to be the unluckiest, making his return to the first team on Tuesday night, his comeback would last all of 26 minutes… A concussion the latest issue which’ll rule him out of Saturday and thus robbing us of both our natural Left-Backs.

Tuesday night didn’t get much better in that respect, and despite having a poor season; Chris Solly was the second to depart… With Anfernee Dijksteel having played last night in the Kent Senior Cup, you’d surely expect him to deputise, especially with Ezri Konsa moving into the Midfield!!

Of course, the big issue has surrounded Robinson and his inability to change a game tactically – With many fans hoping for a 4-4-2 formation this Saturday, they’ll surely be left disappointed once again!!

Amos
Dijksteel | Bauer | Lennon | Sarr
Konsa | Forster-Caskey
Marshall | Reeves | Fosu
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Pearce | Jackson | Aribo | Kaikai | Ajose | Zyro

Prediction
Its getting to the point where caring is becoming difficult… It’s a case of when and not if another season in League One will be confirmed. With both Charlton and Fleetwood struggling for form, I don’t see this being a classic. Fan patience will be stretched this Saturday and it wont take much for the grumbling to echo down on to the pitch!!

Comments

• Gate advertised 9500, bums on seats 6500
  • There's a non-zero chance this will be snowed off, according to someone I spoke to yesterday...
  • 2-0 to Charlton, no im not drinking already!
    Would be nice to see 442, give Ajose a chance up front with big Mag. Don't see it happening though
  • Not going - couldn’t care less what the score is to be honest which is a horrible feeling .
    We’ll lose 3-1

I’m going to watch Biggleswade Town away to Tiverton ( Southern Premier League) , in Devon - instead.
  • Really glad I got a ticket for this one now, thought it was going to be the first one under a new ownership. Anyway, I reckon another dire performance 0 - 1 loss , Robinson walks and Roland confirms he won't sell till May. Happy days !
  • Fuck me we just keeeeeep playing games.

Thanks for the predictions FA, always quality and always appreciated.
  • I'll be at the match but the result doesn't really matter now as we are destined for another season in league one.
    I'm more interested to see if Huddersfield can beat palace tbh.
    Just sell the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Once again we'll travel down, and surely we are all due a decent game, hopefully 2-0 Charlton.
  • 3-0 to that footballing powerhouse of Fleetwood.

Thanks Roland!
  • Fleetwood is a good away trip, I hope they stay up

We have FIVE fit CBs. Surely we must be able to come up with some sort of formation to use them more, given our weaknesses elsewhere
  • I think if Pearce is in the squad, he will start, no matter how much he is struggling. I also would like to see Konsa at right back and Dijksteel in midfield, to me it makes no sense having it the other way around. You have got to have at least one of them playing in their favoured and best position. It is going to be a tough afternoon with how we have been playing and Sheridan is a good manager at this level. I can also see Robinson playing Aribo and Forster-Caskey as the two with the latter being more of the 'sitter' as we are at home. Would prefer to have two up top as the excuse Robinson made about not playing two strikers is a joke and is rather embarrassing, it was pure defensive his response.

Therefore, the 4-2-3-1 team I would prefer:
    Amos
    Konsa Bauer Pearce Sarr
    Dijksteel Forster-Caskey
    Marshall Reeves Fosu
    Magennis

Maynard-Brewer, Lennon, Jackson, Aribo, Kaikai, Zyro, Ajose

What I actually think we will see:
    Amos
    Konsa Bauer Pearce Sarr
    Forster-Caskey Aribo
    Marshall Reeves Fosu
    Magennis

Maynard-Brewer, Lennon, Dijksteel, Jackson, Kaikai, Zyro, Ajose
  • Agreed with your line ups @Sage... Also have a fear that Kaikai will start if fit
  • Agreed with your line ups @Sage... Also have a fear that Kaikai will start if fit

I do agree, but I hope not because without Solly, whoever the right back is going to be, it is not their most natural position so having Marshall on that side supports them far greater than anyone else we could put there. Fosu is going to start either way and I think Reeves has probably showed more in the time he has played than Kaikai.

Let's just hope Kaikai doesn't start and he can come on and make a difference for a change.
  • Sage said:

Agreed with your line ups @Sage... Also have a fear that Kaikai will start if fit

I do agree, but I hope not because without Solly, whoever the right back is going to be, it is not their most natural position so having Marshall on that side supports them far greater than anyone else we could put there. Fosu is going to start either way and I think Reeves has probably showed more in the time he has played than Kaikai.

Let's just hope Kaikai doesn't start and doesnt come on
  • Gate advertised 9500, bums on seats 6500

There is the 500 kids and parents sitting in Block H East Stand.
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • dickplumb said:

Gate advertised 9500, bums on seats 6500

There is the 500 kids and parents sitting in Block H East Stand.
    Hope they bloomin' stay there and dont come over to Block F in the East Stand!!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2018
    playing 3 at the back

3-4-3 (3-4-2-1)
    Amos
    Bauer Pearce Lennon
    Marshall Konsa JFC Sarr
    Aribo Fosu
    Magennis (or Zyro)

Or 3-5-1-1
    Amos
    Bauer Pearce Lennon
    Marshall Konsa JFC Aribo Sarr
    Fosu
    Magennis (or Zyro)

The lack of a proper left wing back is the issue
  • RedChaser said:

I think fans like Beds have shown plenty of patience James but there comes a point when enough is enough and you need a time out like myself. I can't get to home games often these days but I do as many aways that I can within a couple of hours travelling. I've been fortunate to see the six wins on the road this season but Tuesday night was the final straw for me. If the players can't be bothered and especially where we are right now, with an old meglomaniac dragging his heels on a sale to try and claim some sort of credit by breaking even from a failed, mad experiment, then why should I.

I know you have only been 'supporting' us for the last couple of years and appreciate that it must seem odd to you that an increasing number of fans are throwing the towel in. Sadly some will be lost but the life long ones like Beds, Elfs, Large and others on here,too many to mention, will be back in a heartbeat as soon as new owners are in situ with a new broom and they will be given time and every assistance to get this club back to where it belongs.

Trust me I have 60 years of experience of being addicted to call upon COYRs.

Very nice post.
  • Went to bed on Tuesday night not knowing the Charlton result for the first time in many years, woke up to discover we lost in the last minute again! Not going Saturday and barely care, haven't felt like this in 45 years
  • Went to bed on Tuesday night not knowing the Charlton result for the first time in many years, woke up to discover we lost in the last minute again! Not going Saturday and barely care, haven't felt like this in 45 years

Haven't felt like this in 60 years!
  • clive said:
    That could be an interview from any Thursday this season . He’s a broken record .
  • edited March 2018

JamesSeed said:

Not going - couldn’t care less what the score is to be honest which is a horrible feeling .
    We’ll lose 3-1

I’m going to watch Biggleswade Town away to Tiverton ( Southern Premier League) , in Devon - instead.

Very sad if true. Fans deserting the club in droves. We may never recover from that, because even with new owners, if you've lost your love for the club it may never come back. And what to say new owners with turn things around, even with some cash and a new manager. I suspect fans don't have the patience for the long haul, not like they used to anyway, so let's hope for a rapid improvement in the (any) new era.
    Charlton is the club I love and always will so I will be back . I’m not boycotting but I just don’t want to put me and my sons in miserable situations. You wouldn’t in any other walk of like if you could help it.
    At the moment I’m fed up with takeover nonsense ( I’m convinced he doesn’t want to sell ) and the fact that we have a team with supposedly quality players but a manager who cannot get them to perform.
    @RedChaser summed it up pretty well.
    My youngest son doesn't want to go on Saturday. He said 'How come was always play really badly and lose when I go?'. You can only say 'it's character building so many times'.
    He's missed three wins and two draws on the road, so hoping he'll come to an away game soon. Actually.... may not be such a good idea at the moment.

Any chance of building a siege mentality at The Valley?
    Seems unlikely.

2-1
  • edited March 2018
    Charlton boss Karl Robinson explains difficulty in changing 4-2-3-1 formation

Charlton boss Karl Robinson says he can’t start with two strikers because they are not fit enough.

Addicks fans have been pleading with Robinson to change his preferred 4-2-3-1 formation.

Michal Zyro and Nicky Ajose have been starved of first-team football this season, leaving the Liverpudlian with Josh Magennis as his only viable number nine option.

He stuck to his 4-2-3-1 line-up in the defeat to Blackpool on Tuesday evening, the club’s third reverse in a row.

Robinson said: “People talk about playing two up front, but we don't really have two strikers fit enough to start. Zyro is more of a winger than a striker.

“You’d love to change it to chase a game with ten or 15 minutes to go, but people will say ‘bring Nicky on’ but we’ve brought Nicky on and not much has changed. He still needs to get fit.

“He’s barely played any football this season. Tactically, I very rarely get many things wrong in relation to that.

Jake Bacon @JakeTBacon
    Sports Reporter

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/928784787?-11197:833

As for forecast, I cannot be bothered, which is unlike me, I will probably do the match day thread, but I am really losing interest for this season