Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Garden boundary wall

Hoping someone can help.
I have old brick wall between my garden and neighbours.

It has partly fallen down and I want to replace it. My neighbour has expressed he wants to keep part of it and myself to put the fence up next to it.

As its my wall surely I can knock it down and put what I want there? Is this correct?

I'm paying for everything, disposal of bricks, new panels, fence posts, concrete base.

He wants to keep half the wall for some god knows reason.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Knock it. Put up what you want. Give him the bricks so he can build on his land.
  • We. Need. To. Build. A. Wall.
  • what do you mean he wants to keep part of it ?

How high is the wall ?
    How high is the fence you are proposing to put in ?
  • The wall has fallen down at top end.
    He wants to keep half the remaining wall coming towards the house.

I want to replace it all as its unsturdy and as you can see the top half is leaning badly.

I want to replace with standard got quality cement posts, cement boards and 6ft panels.
  • If you are sure it's your wall, tell him what you intend to do, why, when, and then do it.
  • I was due to tomorrow mate then he protested and said he wants the wall in place and to out the fence our side.
  • I was due to tomorrow mate then he protested and said he wants the wall in place and to out the fence our side.

In that case it will be a pain because you'll have to prove it's your wall and you can replace as you wish.
    Is it a freehold or leasehold property? Have you got the plans/deeds etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tell him it is your wall and you are removing and replacing it along the boundary line, but he is free to build a wall his side of the fence you put up.

• If it's your wall on the deeds then its care and maintenance is your responsibility. Do what you want with it. Sod him.

In that case it will be a pain because you'll have to prove it's your wall and you can replace as you wish.
    Is it a freehold or leasehold property? Have you got the plans/deeds etc.
    Freehold mate, moved in last year, paperwork still in boxes, will have to dig out
    Frustrating as that whole wall covered in ivy yesterday and growing over the top.
    I spent all day in his garden yesterday getting rid ready for demolishing today
  • If it's your wall on the deeds then its care and maintenance is your responsibility. Do what you want with it. Sod him.

This is what I want the answer to be
  • edited March 2018
    Are you ABSOLUTELY sure it's your wall? I note the supporting pier in the photo is on your neighbour's side. It would be usual, in order to keep the whole wall within the bounds of your land, to have the support piers on your side of the wall. (Similar general rule if you own a fence - the neighbour gets the clean side, you get all cross slats.)
    PS, the rose bush needs proper pruning. :wink:
  • If I were you I'd be inclined to the leave the wall as is and forget all thoughts about a fence, for the time being.
    Give another it 6 months/year, and let a "storm do its work".
    Then approach your neighbours and ask how they want to proceed with the repair bill or alternatively offer them your fence solution for free.

As a bit of a thought I can see why you neighbour would want a brick wall rather than a panelled fence, IMO they do look better when built nicely.

That's alright but Cpl has to live next door to him. Imo it's always best to keep things amicable with your neighbours IF you can.
  • Neighbours are strange people. My girlfriend's parents were having the branches of their tree cut back. This was on the edge of the garden on the left side. Then the neighbours on the right side were the ones that complained! They actually came over and shouted about how it would ruin their view, which I highly doubt it would unless they looked out of their windows at a very tight angle as the tree was on the opposite side and close to the house. And even if it did effect their view its none of their bloody business.
  • If I were you I'd be inclined to the leave the wall as is and forget all thoughts about a fence, for the time being.
    Then approach your neighbours and ask how they want to proceed with the repair bill or alternatively offer them your fence solution for free.

As a bit of a thought I can see why you neighbour would want a brick wall rather than a panelled fence, IMO they do look better when built nicely.

They can build their own wall then can't they. If it means that much to them they'd offer to get it fixed or they'd give up a few inches of garden and build their own wall the way they want it. Classic neighbours being difficult because they can be.

I want to replace it all as its unsturdy and as you can see the top half is leaning badly.

I want to replace with standard got quality cement posts, cement boards and 6ft panels.

Nice ballbag!
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcfan said:

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure it's your wall? I note the supporting pier in the photo is on your neighbour's side. It would be usual, in order to keep the whole wall within the bounds of your land, to have the support piers on your side of the wall. (Similar general rule if you own a fence - the neighbour gets the clean side, you get all cross slats.)
    PS, the rose bush needs proper pruning. :wink:

Hahaha, if you could see size of the rest of the garden you'd understand, it's a full time bloody job.
    Yes I noticed the Piers as well but he was Adament it was mine, we are the corner house as well..... Gonna look into properly.
  • When doing fencing in my garden all round, I phoned Land Registry to work out which side was mine and which the neighbours. Turns out we are all liable and despite one neighbour saying one fence was my responsibility. The other neighbour shared the cost of that side.
    Easy phone call as it happens.

Nice ballbag!
    Hahaha, everything else from old shed went in storage, this got left behind.
    Banned footballs until the new grass comes through :)
  • I had a similar thing with one of my neighbours sometime back. The fence keeled over and I arranged to have a new one put up. I thought I was the good guy. The neighbour was livid that I had taken it upon myself to replace her fence which she denied was even broken. In the end I just had the fence repaired and let her know what I had done, why and don't worry about paying me anything for repair.
    Also told her that any future damage to my paving from her fence posts or non maintained trees heaving the ground would be a claim against her and her house insurance.
    We don't exchange hellos any more.
  • There used to be a general rule stating that if you stood outside the back of a house and looked down the garden the fence/wall on the left was your responsibility.

Just saying
  • There used to be a general rule stating that if you stood outside the back of a house and looked down the garden the fence/wall on the left was your responsibility.

Just saying

I've also read the complete opposite bud.
    TBH I'm hoping it is mine as the fella has no intention of the general state or welfare of his garden.

I would have thought this is the best solution.

If it were me, I'd leave it to the summer and then give it a good shoulder barge in a couple of places when he's out shopping.
  • Want the garden done before summer mate, it's a world cup year FFS
  • This is what I have to put up with if I don't sort it soon.
    Dogs a nd a six year old don't mix with the wall in that state
  • wait till he is out then pull a bit down saying it landed on your foot, tell him if he intends to keep it you will have to insist it is checked over and deemed safe by an independent builder that he will be paying for OR you'll crack on with your original plan.