Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wildcards for the England football team.

For me, watching England generally is a dull and uninspiring experience.
With that in mind why not take a bit of a gamble, we have nothing to lose. Their are players out there who are flawed/ inconsistent; however, have that ability to turn games on their head.
My vote goes to Jonjo. His performance against Man Utd was immense, it was he that looked like the hundred million pound player. He ran the show against Southampton as well.
I cannot think of any player in the Premier league who has a better range of passing, with both feet as well.I will take his inconsistency over some of those plodding performances we are used to.

Comments

• edited March 2018
    I've been calling for Jonjo to be included since his performance against Man Utd

His performances since have been just as good, set up Newcastle's first (?) against Bournemouth, would have made it 3-0 had Ake not put him off yet then got picked apart at the end by the pundits for not getting back when of course he'd just picked up an injury - Then on Saturday against Southampton he again looked excellent, the pass to Kenedy was sublime for their first goal

I also liked his assist for Ritchie's goal... Held the ball, kept looking to shot, saw Ritchie was in a better position so passed and so created another goal - Too many England players would have had a shot which would have just cannoned off the Defender, its what I noticed against Germany and Brazil... those who came into the squad played as a team rather than a group of individuals looking for the glory
  • For me the best English CB in the prem this year has been James Tarkowski for Burnley.

He should be in the team for these next international friendlies
  • Unfortunately when it comes to England for the next few months, the only discussion will be whether Harry Kane is fit or not - Seeing he's likely to be out for 10-weeks he'll be back by mid-May which gives him a month to prepare for Tunisia so plenty of time.

Hell I was talking with a mate yesterday saying that Southgate should take a risk against Tunisia and Panama and play what'll effectively be the fringe players of our World Cup squad, give them a chance to prove themselves in what'll be winnable games and then against Belgium (and any further games) he can play the First-Teamers along with anyone who has just played themselves into contention.

Will straight away mean that Kane can be rested that extra couple of weeks with a few sub minutes against Tunisia / Panama if needed
  • I agree with Shelvey. he could be Englands very own (poor mans version) Pirlo.

Nick Pope should be included. in fact there's even an argument to have him as first choice. no one else has claimed it for themselves as of yet.

• Red_James said:

For me the best English CB in the prem this year has been James Tarkowski for Burnley.

Agreed. He has been excellent.
  • Does anyone know when the England squad will be announced? (Seeing that Northern Ireland have named theirs) - Have to admit I'm looking forward to seeing the squad for Holland and Italy with a bit of trepidation as it'll be the last squad before the World Cup

i.e. Will Southgate continue with the sort of selections from last time and give the likes of Gomez | Abraham | Solanke | Cook a chance or was that a one off and we'll now see England resort back to the usual names
  • Does anyone know when the England squad will be announced? (Seeing that Northern Ireland have named theirs) - Have to admit I'm looking forward to seeing the squad for Holland and Italy with a bit of trepidation as it'll be the last squad before the World Cup

i.e. Will Southgate continue with the sort of selections from last time and give the likes of Gomez | Abraham | Solanke | Cook a chance or was that a one off and we'll now see England resort back to the usual names

Yeah 2pm tomorrow
  • Red_James said:

For me the best English CB in the prem this year has been James Tarkowski for Burnley.

I like Lascelles of Newcastle, he would be in my 11 for sure.
  • With Burnley's defence, how much is it the players, how much is it how they improve under Dyche, and how much is it the system they play in?

Last season Keane was their star defender, called up by England. He moves to Everton and struggles. Tarkowski was his understudy last season, how he's the player being talked about...
  • Sponsored links:

• With Burnley's defence, how much is it the players, how much is it how they improve under Dyche, and how much is it the system they play in?

Last season Keane was their star defender, called up by England. He moves to Everton and struggles. Tarkowski was his understudy last season, how he's the player being talked about...

Yes all very true tbf, another CB who has been good is Alfie Mawson for Swansea
  • Red_James said:

With Burnley's defence, how much is it the players, how much is it how they improve under Dyche, and how much is it the system they play in?

Yes all very true tbf, another CB who has been good is Alfie Mawson for Swansea
    Used a few times by Southgate for the U21s so will be aware of him

Didnt realise he'd played for Welling though!!
  • Looking them up, both Tarkowski and Mawson were at Brentford at one time.
  • I agree with Shelvey. he could be Englands very own (poor mans version) Pirlo.

Nick Pope should be included. in fact there's even an argument to have him as first choice. no one else has claimed it for themselves as of yet.

Completely agree on both counts. I’ve said before Shelvey is the type of player that’s going to get better and more appreciated the older he gets, like pirlo and carrick.

Pope has had a blinder of a season and has kept Heaton out of the Burnley team, who’s a decent England keeper in his own right.
  • Fosu. So we can get the Plymouth game called off.

Might as well get the defeat out of the way.
  • se9addick said:

Red_James said:

?? have i been whooshed isn't he french or does he have citizenship now i know he has been at Newcastle for a while...

Shelvey good shout as his passing is above any other England midfielder even Wilshere, although his performances need to be on par with vs Southampton/ United imo

Pope, wouldn't be that unexpected but personally feel he might miss out.

Tarkowski, with a name like that surprised he is eligible

Sessi - defo worth a shout in upcoming friendlies , dont fill LB is very strong at the mo Bertrand first pick and Rose back up, personally if Rose can get back in the spurs team he should be a starter.

Too soon for Foden, Maitland Niles might be a shout looked impressive for Arsenal before their bad form when he played consistently and has done last couple of games.

Lewis Cook? he's had a good season and could be a good starter in the middle.
  • He is English - born in Derby.
  • edited March 2018
    Aribo is in with a shout after his cameo last night.
  • se9addick said:

Red_James said:

?? have i been whooshed isn't he french or does he have citizenship now i know he has been at Newcastle for a while...

Shelvey good shout as his passing is above any other England midfielder even Wilshere, although his performances need to be on par with vs Southampton/ United imo

Sessi - defo worth a shout in upcoming friendlies , dont fill LB is very strong at the mo Bertrand first pick and Rose back up, personally if Rose can get back in the spurs team he should be a starter.

Too soon for Foden, Maitland Niles might be a shout looked impressive for Arsenal before their bad form when he played consistently and has done last couple of games.

Newcastle have a French centre half called Lejeune, maybe you're getting them mixed up?
  • Sponsored links:

• Unless he's getting confused with Lilian Laslandes a Sunderland Striker back in 2003?
  • iaitch said:

se9addick said:

Red_James said:

Newcastle have a French centre half called Lejeune, maybe you're getting them mixed up?
    Not mixed up i generally thought Lascelles is french lol my bad, yes he should definitely be in the mix. Great presence for Newcastle, should be on the plane in that case.
  • We only want players with proper British names.

Does that include Ademola Lookman? - Or is it Lukman? ;)
  • se9addick said:

Red_James said:

Eh ? Lascelles is English - having "La" at the start of your name doesn't automatically make you French!
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Red_James said:

Eh ? Lascelles is English - having "La" at the start of your name doesn't automatically make you French!
    I have just responded thank you, i just thought he was french... end of point... carry on with the discussion
  • I like Barnes at Burnley. We all know if fit Kane will lead the line and rightly so but I think this fella would be constant aggro for the opposition defence. Him and Vardy off the bench would be good options
  • agim said:

I like Barnes at Burnley. We all know if fit Kane will lead the line and rightly so but I think this fella would be constant aggro for the opposition defence. Him and Vardy off the bench would be good options

Great shout, Barnes has been in good form. Also another option similar to Kane with a bit less pace but a good allrounder.
  • It's got to be form based...with a balance of experience

Form outweighs experience in this particular situation in my opinion.

We need everyone up for the fight and feeling confident.

Oldies like Cahill are overated and live and breath the international shit times
  • I'll give you a proper wildcard... James Maddison