Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Scapegoat X1

edited March 2018 in General Charlton
Not sure whether or not we've done this but off the top of my head:

Pope

Francis

Sarr

Llera

Fox

Sam

Kishishev

Hughes

McAuley

Leaburn

Lisbie

Comments

• I know who the manager will be.... lol etc.
  • That's a pretty good FC Scapegoat XI. I'd take that team over the current lot all day long.

Put Alan McCormack in midfield for (Brian?) Hughes.
  • We need the strangely supported despite being shit XI too. Magennis a banker up top
  • Subs could also include -

Mark Stuart
    Mark Aizlewood
    Luke Varney
    Barry Endean
    Paul Davies
  • Pedro45 said:

Subs could also include -

Mark Stuart
    Mark Aizlewood
    Luke Varney
    Barry Endean
    Paul Davies

That's a bit unfair on those who scored the winner against Man Ure and winner against Palarse.
  • Pedro45 said:

Subs could also include -

Mark Stuart
    Mark Aizlewood
    Luke Varney
    Barry Endean
    Paul Davies

That's a bit unfair on those who scored the winner against Man Ure and winner against Palarse.
    But isn't that the whole concept of scapegoat?
  • Both were scapegoats at the time though...
  • LenGlover said:

Pope

Francis

Sarr

Llera

Fox

Sam

Kishishev

Hughes

McAuley

Leaburn

Lisbie

If the thread title was "they were generally shit but had their good moments" I'd go along with all but Pope and Kishishev but given the title as is, what are we actually blaming them for?
  • LenGlover said:

Pope

Francis

Sarr

Llera

Fox

Sam

Kishishev

Hughes

McAuley

Leaburn

Lisbie

If the thread title was "they were generally shit but had their good moments" I'd go along with all but Pope and Kishishev but given the title as is, what are we actually blaming them for?
    It's a team of players off the top of my head who attracted the ire and venom of the Valley faithful through at least part of of their time at the Club whether justified or not.

Kish was booed unmercifully at times despite never giving less than his all and Pope was not treated that well either during his short time in the first team at Charlton.

• edited March 2018
    Thuram

Francis Shaw Madden Fox

Kenning Dunphy O'Connell Redfearn

Abbot Plumb

Subs, Etheridge, Solly, Tumbridge, Shipperley, Stuart, Leaburn, Magennis
  • Sponsored links:

• I can think of a few who suffered and might be in or around that 11: -
    Peter Shaw
    Gary Churchouse
    Jonny Ostergaard
    Gordon Riddick
    Lawrie Madden
  • LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Pope

Francis

Sarr

Llera

Fox

Sam

Kishishev

Hughes

McAuley

Leaburn

Lisbie

It's a team of players off the top of my head who attracted the ire and venom of the Valley faithful through at least part of of their time at the Club whether justified or not.

Kish was booed unmercifully at times despite never giving less than his all and Pope was not treated that well either during his short time in the first team at Charlton.

Kish deserved the boos in my opinion. Although I never have booed any Charlton player.
    Was like a headless chicken charging about. Usually chasing the ball he'd just lost.
    Can't fault his effort or attitude though.
  • JamesSeed said:

I know who the manager will be.... lol etc.

Jimmy Trotter
  • We would be in The Prem now if it wasn't for the 2% protesting - FACT !!!

Damn each and every one of you.
  • Thuram
    Fox
    Fox
    Fox
    Fox
    Fox
    Fox
    Fox
    Fox
    Fox

Lisbie
  • Certainly in his early days in the side, when he was played as a left winger, Mick "Flash" Flanagan, got a lot of stick. I know because I was one of them giving it - only to be told by my dad that I was an idiot because I couldn't recognise how good a player he was. I'm not saying he was right at the time but he was certainly proven correct once he switched to playing through the middle.
  • Thurman cannot be a scapegoat. He had no ability and was genuinely a cause of on the field problems and a symptom of our off the field problems. Many but not all of the others mentioned were certainly treated unfairly Ra Ra Radostin being a good example. Some of the comments about Francis looked OTT at the time and laughable now and he’s the one laughing
  • I remember Kim Grant being a scapegoat
  • Nicky Bailey

Our best player in the two season he had with us. Without his goals we would never have reached the playoffs, yet is only remembered for missing a penalty
  • Nicky Bailey

Our best player in the two season he had with us. Without his goals we would never have reached the playoffs, yet is only remembered for missing a penalty

That ball is still floating down the Thames.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafckev said:

Can't believe that my all time favourite player (but disliked by many) Keith "crab" Jones.
    He was blamed by so many people for his lack of forward passing but he was absolutely a vital link between the back and front lines.

A large part of that 1-0 win over Liverpool the first season in the Premiership was because of the shackle Jones put on McManaman.
  • cafckev said:

Can't believe that my all time favourite player (but disliked by many) Keith "crab" Jones.
    He was blamed by so many people for his lack of forward passing but he was absolutely a vital link between the back and front lines.

A large part of that 1-0 win over Liverpool the first season in the Premiership was because of the shackle Jones put on McManaman.
    Scored the winner as well.
  • David Mooney. Darren Ambrose?
  • Shouldn't it be XI?
  • Church - although ‘scapegoat’ implies that he wasn’t totally shit
  • edited March 2018
    Martin Pringle
    David Campbell (NI midfielder)
    Dennis Rommedahl