Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

If you watched the debacle on Sat on iFollow, I need your help

IFollow regulars will know that several of us have experienced a time lag between video and audio. I have been trying to get them to take it seriously but to no avail. Last week I sent them comments from five other Lifers, they ignored it, and when I complained again about the same problem on Sat their answer is basically "it must be your setup". Well that ignores the fact that last week it wasn't "just" my set up. I have pointed out to them that my "set up" is a reliably delivered 40mbps fixed link, which can live stream BBC programmes without any such problems. Etc, etc

Anyway, my request: could you let me know if you watched on iFollow on Saturday and noticed the time lag in the audio. You should certainly have noticed after Shrewsbury scored. Their players were already on video back on the centre circle before the goal-roar of the crowd kicked in. OohAah has already confirmed it, anyone else who watched? I would wish to cut and paste your comments to them.

Of course with tech stuff you never say never, so if anyone can think of something that might be "just my set up", which I could test, please let me know. I was receiving on a Mac laptop and watching through the TV connected to the laptop by cable. The problem exists on all three browsers I use. One thing that makes me think it has to be their problem is that after half time the problem seems to have been resolved, and then it quickly gets worse again - and other people reported the same thing last week.

Thanks...

Comments

• I have this issue pretty much every week. I watch on a 50 mb connection, no VPN, using an ipad and their official efl apps. Nothing I can do at all to alter that setup.
  • Every time I have used the iFollow I get the delay too.

I did change the video quality from auto to 4500bpts (or similar) and is improved a little.

I just have it on as background noise and have got used to the delay in audio.

However it is frustrating.
  • I use 100MBPS speed thingy up and down and it's rapid but there is always a few second delay with the sound, I watch on an ipad
  • Cheers guys, keep em coming.

This is the sum total of their response after my latest complaint (but before I posted this thread up)

Dear Richard,

I have had a look at our internal comments to see if we had any issues with the live stream for this game and we did not have any issues with the live stream or commentary.

If you're still having audio sync issues it most probably from your side, this can be your device or your ISP.

We are not able to offer refunds for iFollow subscriptions, per the terms of service.

Regards,
    Amdad, iFollow Support
  • I don't remember noticing it but I'm usually shouting after goals. The quality of the picture is definitely much improved from the start of the year, so credit to them on that.

Question for those having issues, are you using a VPN?

It's probably not that, I'm just wondering if that is a common thread. What's far more likely though is that it's happening to everyone and I'm just oblivious.

Thanks for holding their feet to the fire on this one Prague, it's the only way they'll I prove.
  • edited February 2018
    Nothing to add other then hoping this service gets improved as all things go to plan I will be using it every Saturday morning from next season, have you considered pointing them in the direction of your work on the Olympic Stadium scandal, give them a warning about if they really want to start this battle with you. :-)

That would soon get it sorted.
  • Watched the MK Dons game in Austria. Was ok except for annoying freezeframe of a second every 5 seconds. Streamed some stuff perfectly in the hotel so something was stopping it being perfect!
  • @SDAddick

I wondered about the VPN thing myself, so I make sure I turn it off. No difference.

I have told them the video is improved. At the moment though I get a reply from a different useless twonk each time so I don't think anyone yet takes any feedback, good or bad, seriously enough to care one way or another.

Would you try next week to see if you get the same problem? Goals are the main giveaway, but referee's whistles are the other giveaway, which can distort what you think is happening.

I told today's twonk that as well as checking back on here, I am going to contact the FSF and ask them if they can gather feedback from other clubs' fans. Trouble is, i doubt he understands the potential trouble that can brew up here. I've demanded a 50% refund on the basis that they have only delivered half the service properly (the video part). So far none of them have realised that if a lot of customers get together to demand the same thing, they have a bit of a problem.
  • Never noticed it myself, and watch pretty much every week
  • Sponsored links:

• pioneer said:

There is nothing wrong with your set up. I was at the game on saturday and when ths shrews had the ball it was all at normal speed, however the Charlton players did seem to be lagging a fair bit!

Have you complained?
  • CAFCsayer said:

Never noticed it myself, and watch pretty much every week

So you are sure? ball hits the net, you hear the crowd at that moment? Ref's whistle heard at the right moment? Aren't you trading cryptos on a second screen? :-)

Which is odd. I have to admit that if everyone had the same problem, they would have been inundated with complaints, whereas they seem to be reacting as if I am a lone nutter . But what kind of tech issue could it be that affects what seems to be the majority of Charlton fans watching, but not all of them? It cannot be line speed, if OohAaah has 100 and I have 40. Line speed would affect video too, you'd expect buffering. My video doesnt buffer at all, since early autumn.
  • Is it a buffering issue? I’m not very tech savvy but if you have a lag that gets worse over the game, sounds like audio is buffering differently to video and the audio buffer isn’t clearing. Just a thought.
  • Never had an issue personally.
  • Prague. Same for me. Use the official app. Watch on my iPad. There’s always been a couple of second delay. Maybe it was asking too much but it is annoying to hear a cheer two seconds after we win a corner.
  • Same as Chicago although mine is through VPN
  • Will make a proper effort on Saturday to keep an ear out, but pretty sure I'd have noticed as it is a real bugbear of mine
  • It's like talking to a effing brick wall

Hi Richard,

We take every complaint and feedback seriously.

The internal report is about all the games we have on live match day's, So far we have not had any technical issues with the games being played, the live stream not being in sync with audio can be due to your ISP or device.

Using VPN can block you from the live stream for minimum 1 hour, I would advise you not to use a VPN when accessing live stream.

I will have my team to look at the next game to double check the live stream and will get back to you.

Regards,
    Amdad, iFollow Support
  • Watch every week, gave up on audio ages ago because of synchronising problems. Used to pause one or the other in order for them to match. Can't be bothered anymore so sticking to live stadium sound making my own commentary in Russian over the top.

• Sponsored links:

• So, did anybody watch the Peterborough stream. Because Amdad has conducted a little experiment on our behalf, fair play to him.

Today I watched Fleetwood Town v Plymouth Argyl on my desktop using google chrome with the quality of the stream at 720HD, we did not have any audio delays with the live stream and the live stream was perfectly fine.

Did you have any issues?

Regards,
    Amdad, iFollow Support

So did anybody watch, was it OK or not? You should recall, each time the Posh scored, was the cheer synchronised with the goal, or not? (I didn't bother watching this weekend)

There is a problem with his experiment, but I won't go into that now; although I have chucked it at him while I wait for some feedback from you.

Cheers...
  • If you're a VP subscriber you can sync up the commentary with the stream by using the pause button.
  • I used to use my laptop and never had an issue with sound, though annoyingly the picture would buffer every few seconds (regardless of what definition I watched on)

I switched to using my wife's ipad, and now the picture is fantastic, but the sound does seem to be left behind. I can rectify it by changing definition, or by moving the slider back to a few seconds before, but this only lasts so long before they are out of sync again.
  • I've only twice managed to get iFollow to work at all. Will have another go tomorrow.
  • Watched on iPad, sound was miles behind the pictures. I'd already finished ranting at my wife about the defending for the third goal against before the cheer from the crowd came of of the speaker.

This is the sum total of their response after my latest complaint (but before I posted this thread up)

Dear Richard,

I have had a look at our internal comments to see if we had any issues with the live stream for this game and we did not have any issues with the live stream or commentary.

If you're still having audio sync issues it most probably from your side, this can be your device or your ISP.

We are not able to offer refunds for iFollow subscriptions, per the terms of service.

Regards,
    Amdad, iFollow Support

If you paid by credit card, I think they'd have a hard time defending a claim for a refund from your card supplier. They aren't supplying what you've paid for.
  • I only ever watch Tuesday evening games and have only once had an audio delay, even then it was very slight. I’ll be watching tomorrow so will let you know how I get on.
  • The trouble is Prague, from a technical standpoint, it is almost impossible to fix something you can't replicate. By all means, crack on at them for a refund, but if they can't see a problem they can't fix it.

A quick google found this: http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3269222/video-audio-slowly-lose-sync.html. Maybe try updating all drivers, browsers and your OS to see if that solves the issue. If all else fails try clearing your browser's cache too (solves everything, except Charlton's record of course).

Dear Richard,

Regards,
    Amdad, iFollow Support

If you paid by credit card, I think they'd have a hard time defending a claim for a refund from your card supplier. They aren't supplying what you've paid for.
    The problem is that they are still flatly refusing to accept that any problem exists. They are trying to imply it is just me, despite me posting up all the comments from here (including the ones who say they don't have a problem.)

It's a microcosm of football today. So long as most people keep paying, no matter what shit they get, they do not in turn give a shit about a few disgruntled "customers".

Grrrr.

• Do they have a recommended configuration you should be using? If they don’t, then they need to be able to test their service on multiple platforms. It’s no good then testing on a Windows laptop if the problem is happening on iPads.

If you really want to get to the root cause, and see if it’s you or their service and get them to take notice, you’ll need to find the pattern, but that will mean everyone reporting their os version, browser version and whether they use. VPN or not.

It’s a pain, but with problems that don’t impact everyone, you’ve got to track all the variables to get a clue where the problem is. If they are not collecting that from complaints, the users will need to do it.