Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New manager - who would you want (hypothetically)

Me & golfie Jnr were talking yesterday on the way back from Peterborough about who should be our next manager (he has had enough of Robinson now too) and the conversation turned to ex-players, seeing as I said our best managers over the last 30 years have been Curbs & SCP. I said that SCP is likely to be with Southend for the foreseeable future & that Curbs has been out of management for so long any return would most likely be as DOF rather than first team coach. I have no idea which players from our recent past are currently in football coaching or taking their coaching badges but out of the ones I know of I would go with the following:

Jorge Costa

err. that's about it.

I think both JJ & Bowyer are too inexperienced (although I know Curbs & Gritt were), and I never really warmed to Jason Euell. JFH was crap for us & I wouldn't want to see him as our manager & the only other one I know is coaching is Scotty Parker (boo, hiss). So, realistically, if we went for an ex-player, who would you want ???

Comments

• Another vote for Nathan Jones here. Not an ex-player but did fantastic things with our youth team and has impressed everywhere he's been since.

Looks like he's about to get Luton promoted as League 2 winners. I remember 18 months ago, Sheff U took the manager from the League 2 winner of the previous season...
  • Is big nose available yet? Only joking.
  • If Karl goes, I’d be after the shrews manager, Nathan Jones or Powelly
  • We need a management team that's going to pull the club back together. Reluctantly, I'd go for Curbs (Dir of Football) and Powell.
  • If only there was already a thread or two on this.....
  • edited March 2018
    It depends on the new owners and what sort of money if we have to play with. If they have a few quid to play with then I’d like Michael O’Neill - wether he would want to swap his comfortable role with Northern Ireland for League 1 football is another matter.

Probably a more realistic choice would be Mark Warburton.
  • Nathan Jones
  • It depends on the new owners and what sort of money if we have to play with. If they have a few quid to play with then I’d like Michael O’Neill - wether he would want to swap his comfortable role with Northern Ireland for League 1 football is another matter.

Probably a more realistic choice would be Mark Warburton.

O'Neill is minus experience of this level.

Warburton would be a better option of the two.
  • Sponsored links:

• The bloke at Preston.
  • Another vote for Nathan Jones. Would be expensive as he's on a 4 year deal at Luton but would be the ideal man.
  • Nathan Jones for me as well.
  • We have such a choice, Pep, Jose, Poc, Jurgen they must be desperate to come to such a well run forward looking club.
  • Mark Warburton? Leave it out!

We need a Charlton person, no surprise the Scum are doing well with Harris in charge.

Jackson for me.
  • I wouldn't want anyone hypothetically, I genuinely want someone who can rebuild this squad and get the best from the players.
  • In a Powell-esque move , I’d like to see any of;

Jackson
    Shaun Bartlett (who’s managing out in SA)
    Jorge Costa
    Euell
    Could Hreiðarsson do a job?

For more experience , possibly go for ;
    Nathan jones
    McDermott
  • Mark Warburton? Leave it out!

We need a Charlton person, no surprise the Scum are doing well with Harris in charge.

Jackson for me.

Why do we need an inexperienced Coach/ Manager? I couldn't care less if he has played for us or not. Bowyer, Jackson are part of a coaching team that is failing. With a decent Manager, this squad should be in the top six. We are too lightweight.

• Nathan Jones for me too. Otherwise I wonder if Alex Dyer would be ready for a number one role? He is doing v well as Steve Clarke's assistant at Kilmarnock. (Assuming we can't prise Powelly away from Southend, that is.)
  • Kinsella to the end of the season just to help get the Charlton feel back in the club.

We're not going down but we're not going up under KR either.

New manager in the summer, clubs would be reluctant to release their manager at this stage of the season anyway
  • Sponsored links:

• Stevie Brown wouldn't let us down.
  • Nathan Jones
    Gareth Ainsworth
    Dan Cowley
    Andy Hughes

Someone from that Group would do for me
  • edited March 2018

Nathan Jones
    Gareth Ainsworth
    Dan Cowley
    Andy Hughes

Someone from that Group would do for me

But Dan Cowley hasn't played the game at a senior level @ForeverAddickted ...,........He doesn't prefer a 4-2-3-1 formation as well does he? .............Actually he's one of the more acceptable exceptions for me before all the defenders of Managers and Coaches, who never made it as a pro, go on the attack.
    :wink:
  • edited March 2018
    Neal Ardley
    Gareth Ainsworth
    Nathan Jones
    Jason Euell
    JJ

Powell above them all but thinking he will not leave Southend so soon.
  • Neil Warnock - might not like him but excellent manager.
  • Neal Ardley
    Gareth Ainsworth
    Nathan Jones
    Jason Euell
    JJ

Powell above them all but thinking he will not leave Southend so soon.

Ah, much depends on how much @Weegie Addick can work her charms on him at 'Trip down memory lame' gig this week :wink:
  • Marcelo Bielsa
  • Neil Warnock - might not like him but excellent manager.

The same Neil Warnock who is about to get promoted to the PL with Cardiff?
  • Whoever buys us will no doubt have someone in mind should they decide Robinson’s not their man. Having said that, we a third division club. Our options are always going to be limited in one way or another.