Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A mother's/fathers Day. is it something we need?

I don't want to create a talking point that makes me appear to be a pointlessly boring and bitter person. It's not something I can change and starting a conversation about it on CL will not alter anything anyway.

I'm sure today has been a pleasant afternoon for a lot of people and it's a nice day for mother's to feel special and have some extra family time.

My point being is that I think, overall these things may cause more emotional stress for people then what makes it worth having.

If all is not well in the family it could simply just act as a horrible awkward reminder of a turbulent situation, especially if parents or, even worse, any children have passed away.

Of course, if you are grieving for a lost one, then that is going to be on your mind for every day of the year...it doesn't need a mother's Day to remind you of a suppressed memory.

Having said that...we just really don't NEED it. I'm not entirely sure why it began. Maybe I should do some more research.

On the balance of things, I might be wrong but I think mother's days bring misery to people in a way that out does the any joy part.

Does anyone agree or am I completely wrong?

Comments

• Card Factory 99p
  • I agree, hate them both
  • As a father I am not bothered about father's day, luckily it falls very close to my wedding anniversary so is usually completely overlooked anyway. We go all out for mother's day though.
  • I can see where you are coming from on this one Dave but like a lot of things in life its down to personal preference. For me it's a chance to cook a meal, buy some flowers, bottle of wine etc for a woman that's done a hell of a lot for me in my life. Some people aren't so lucky and I get that.
    It's like people getting their kids Christened even though they're aren't religious or go to church. I don't get it, but again it happens and personal preference.
  • I agree. My mum is literally the best person in the world and i will always do as much as i can regardless of what day it is.

My mate lost his mum 2 years ago and i cant imagine how he feel, add that with everyone posting photos with their mum and celebrating again has no consideration of those who have lost their. Its not people being selfish, but certianly isn't the sort of thing someone who has lost their mum needs to see.

Everyone seems to flaunt far too much on social media, no wonder there is so much anxiety and mental issues around.
  • Sponsored links:

• Redskin said:

I agree. My mum is literally the best person in the world and i will always do as much as i can regardless of what day it is.

My mate lost his mum 2 years ago and i cant imagine how he feel, add that with everyone posting photos with their mum and celebrating again has no consideration of those who have lost their. Its not people being selfish, but certianly isn't the sort of thing someone who has lost their mum needs to see.

Everyone seems to flaunt far too much on social media, no wonder there is so much anxiety and mental issues around.

My mother died of Althzeimer's seven years ago, and I'm glad that people still have their mothers around to make a fuss of.
    Of course Redskin i expect most have who have lost either parents. My point is more the impications it has for others who may have lost their parents and either arent as strong or suffer from depressio etc. My friend who lives with me again puts on a brave face but i can see today be is not himself, he has suffered depression and some would say he will always have that somewhere and days like today i really worry that he falls on dark times.

Even i find it tedious and i am very fortunate to have my mum and see he pretty much everyday.
  • bobmunro said:

I agree. My mum is literally the best person in the world and i will always do as much as i can regardless of what day it is.

We lose our parents at some point in our lives, and that’s as it should be. It’s the natural order of things. I’m not sure I agree that flaunting is the right word to describe someone sharing with others that their parents are still with them, although being sensitive to those around you is what anyone should be.

My wife and I have lived for the past four years with the risk of that natural order failing which made the fact that both our boys came over last night and stayed so they could be with their mum this morning so special for my wife (and me of course).

Mums are precious and should be loved and treasured everyday. That applies to me and my dear mum, but now the memories of that love are treasured as I lost her 25 years ago. One day set aside to explicitly celebrate that is no bad thing and it only becomes a commercial rip-off if you allow it.

I understand and what you and redskin are saying are correct. I agree with OP where it can also be looked at in a completely different light. Yes people who have lost arent going to be looking down on people etc. Just all these posts could make them feel 10x worse.

Today's society too much things on social media which cause alot more serious issues sometimes.
  • It's a bastardisation of an old religious festival where you were expected to go back to your mother church. That is the church where you were christened or baptised.
    I suspect that Hallmark saw the opportunity to turn it from Mothering Sunday into Mothers Day and the rest is just the buy in from us all.
    Is it good or bad? Well although it is ubiquitous it isn't compulsory - even if opting out might be very difficult.
  • I love these kind of annual celebrations.

Indeed I'm starting a campaign for '2nd cousin twice removed Day' for the third Sunday in October.

2nd cousins are so overlooked in todays modern society and it's time we bought some parity back for the sake of us all.
  • All a bit overhyped - a lot of parents would prefer to see their kids rather than get an unwanted present.

Time is the most precious thing you can share with parents and kids - hopefully you like each other.

Agreed - my mum wasn’t too happy with the Charlton v Fleetwood tickets I gave her.
  • Agree - my son does not really know how to be "kind" to his mother in the way society tells her she should expect. So we just end up with tears and arguments all day.

Hate the whole bloody thing - totally evil!

If you love your mum - be nice to her. You don't need an excuse or permission from Hallmark!
  • my mum is a 2 in 1 as the old mans a no show, took her for dinner at cau in blackheath, she enjoyed it.
  • Happy Mother’s Day from the bump. Wtf?
  • Sponsored links:

• I personally don't need it as I don't have kids, and no longer have a Mother. So guess the answer to your question is no.
  • I have no children but got a picture from my friend of her children saying 'Happy mother's day to our lovely godmother' (I am their godmother btw) which i thought was a nice thought.
  • I don’t recall Father’s day being taken seriously in the UK when I was a kid. It was only made official in the USA in 1966, and then gradually taken up here by a sceptical public who were well aware of the commercial advantage to business and card companies.

Mother’s day or Mothering Sunday was a different kettle of fish entirely. Mothers bore the responsibility of the home and child raising pretty much on their own and often in very tough economic conditions. I don’t think anyone begrudged ‘mother’ a day of grace and pampering.

The lines are more blurred nowadays of course. Modern marriages (I am told) consist of a far more equal partnership. Women are no longer chained to the kitchen sink and they share the financial burden. Meanwhile, men are far more hands on with childcare, they help around the house, and have even learnt to operate the vacuum cleaner and washing machine.

I s’pose you pays your money and takes your choice. I’d be delighted to partake in both festivals, but sadly both parents long gone. As for my own grown up kids, I prefer their presence to presents.
  • It’s a lovely day to celebrate the women in our lives

If you’ve lost a parent like I have it’s acday of fond relflection

Here, Here ...

• Load of nonsense IMO. I remember my parents on their birthdays.

A mum is for life, not just for mother's day.
  • edited March 2018
    I understand what the OP is saying. Back in the 90's when we didn't have FB it was barely noticeable, I just knew certain mates wouldn't be out that day as they were doing family stuff and to avoid going for a sunday roast as it would be full of happy families.

But with the invention of FB it really does bring it all back in to focus and makes it all a bit more difficult, more so than in the early days.

Though nowadays my timeline is 50% full of lovely pictures and memories of dead people. I feel like im in Sixth Sense.

I always tell myself ill stay off it that day but cant help peeking.

• edited March 2018
    Personally, I think Mothers Day has degenerated into another marker in the retail calendar, slotted neatly in between Valentines Day and Easter as another money spinner. BUT I can appreciate that for many people and plenty of mums it is a happy day and you can’t really knock that.
    Fathers Day always feels a bit contrived to me, as though we have to have one because there is a Mothers Day.
  • I have no children but got a picture from my friend of her children saying 'Happy mother's day to our lovely godmother' (I am their godmother btw) which i thought was a nice thought.

How near are their birthdays? :wink: