Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Friend's son attacked (ed. general Saff London chat).

124»

Comments

• Kidbrooke is Blackheath to an estate agent.

It does has the SE3 postcode though.
  • All of the gentrification projects in London is pushing the problem into suburban areas that never had issues

This is why I am moving from London and out into the country

I have had it , a proud London lad who absolutely adores the city hates living in it

Think long and hard nla. We did the dream move to the country cottage and it lasted just 5 years.
    My wife hated it and the novelty wore off for me when i had to bar a pikey from a club. All the problems are there. Just different.
    Any?s just ask.
    Where abouts did you go baldy
  • clb74 said:

All of the gentrification projects in London is pushing the problem into suburban areas that never had issues

This is why I am moving from London and out into the country

I have had it , a proud London lad who absolutely adores the city hates living in it

Think long and hard nla. We did the dream move to the country cottage and it lasted just 5 years.
    My wife hated it and the novelty wore off for me when i had to bar a pikey from a club. All the problems are there. Just different.
    Any?s just ask.
    Where abouts did you go baldy
    East Sussex.
  • Will do mate we have opened a warehouse in Walsall and I like to be an hr to hr 30 from my Work place so I can deal with the stuff you can’t do in the office on the telephone
    Got plenty of choice with regards areas , will rent the London house out so the kids will always have a place here but I am done proper

The fact that so many teens were murdered in Enfield last yr done me in andvmade the decision for me
  • Brixton was an absolute khazi

Remember coming out the fridge at 6am and crossing the road to the station and an Islamic preacher was out in the street with his prayer matt, he looked me straight in the eye and hissed like a wild angry cat. Think it’s the most I’ve ever shit myself.

Could have been the really good drugs tho.

In the day when I lived in Kent, and I used to drive to games, had a mate who lived in Tulse Hill.

Hated driving through that place when I was dropping him off on a Saturday night. Even from within the relatively safety of my car, you could sense the atmosphere changing as soon as you came upon the place.

This was around the time of the Brixton riots though.
    My dad grew up in Brixton/herne hill in that time and still shudders when you mention that area of London, he utterly hated it and loves his life in the complete opposite environment of tunbridge Wells. As has been said, some people love the city (myself) and others hate it or grow to hate it.
  • Will do mate we have opened a warehouse in Walsall and I like to be an hr to hr 30 from my Work place so I can deal with the stuff you can’t do in the office on the telephone
    Got plenty of choice with regards areas , will rent the London house out so the kids will always have a place here but I am done proper

The fact that so many teens were murdered in Enfield last yr done me in andvmade the decision for me

Definitely sounds like the time to move, mate. A radius of 90 minutes from Walsall gives you the choice of some great places.

Remember coming out the fridge at 6am and crossing the road to the station and an Islamic preacher was out in the street with his prayer matt, he looked me straight in the eye and hissed like a wild angry cat. Think it’s the most I’ve ever shit myself.

In the day when I lived in Kent, and I used to drive to games, had a mate who lived in Tulse Hill.

Hated driving through that place when I was dropping him off on a Saturday night. Even from within the relatively safety of my car, you could sense the atmosphere changing as soon as you came upon the place.

My dad grew up in Brixton/herne hill in that time and still shudders when you mention that area of London, he utterly hated it and loves his life in the complete opposite environment of tunbridge Wells. As has been said, some people love the city (myself) and others hate it or grow to hate it.
    Indeed, my mates dad had a mark 4 Cortina and didn't have a garage. Wrapped round his steering wheel and his brake was the biggest chain and padlock you have ever seen in your life, it used to take him about 5 minutes to take it off. Can't recall the estate he lived in.

Eventually he got a house exchange and now lives in Christchurch.

Indeed, my mates dad had a mark 4 Cortina and didn't have a garage. Wrapped round his steering wheel and his brake was the biggest chain and padlock you have ever seen in your life, it used to take him about 5 minutes to take it off. Can't recall the estate he lived in.

There are rough estates in most cities and towns and always have been - the most worrying change has been the increase in kids carrying weapons which is always a road to disaster. There is a lot of problem with drugs out in the country for kids but the violence thing is going to be a lot less.

A lot of it is down to money - you can pick and choose where you live. If you're poor you are more likely to end up in a rougher area or estate.

Trouble has always been with us - if you look at the history of London it's been prone to lots of violence. The same debates have been going on for centuries.

Swapped street violence for Earthquakes and sheep. Nice place though. ;0)

• Some interesting points on both sides. I’ve really liked living in the SE postcode and as my friends and family are still here there’s still a pull. I can understand if you have kids then a combination of costs and more space can mean going further out is a good option.

The only time I’ve lived away from London was a brief 8 month spell in broadstairs when my mother in law passed away and my ex wife wanted to be closer to her dad. I was always going to go down there no questions and we toyed with the idea of buying/staying down there etc. Yet what we saved on rent was eaten up on travel. And it was the travel that did us in in the end. I’d have to be on the 6.20am every day to London Bridge without fail to get in for 8.30am. I had no choice about missing a train. The journey back was the 5.35pm that got back into broadstairs at just before 7.30pm. There was no life, almost 4 hours on a south eastern train.

I guess it would’ve been different had we worked down there, but I couldn’t even begin to think of where I would place myself. I’m not a tradesman, wouldn’t want to work in retail. The tourist trade only really runs 5 months of the year and that left public sector and I think they had a Saga call centre as the big employer

I think for me it would be very hard to leave Brockley/Peckham etc. If I ever have a family I might think quite differently
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

Some interesting points on both sides. I’ve really liked living in the SE postcode and as my friends and family are still here there’s still a pull. I can understand if you have kids then a combination of costs and more space can mean going further out is a good option.

The only time I’ve lived away from London was a brief 8 month spell in broadstairs when my mother in law passed away and my ex wife wanted to be closer to her dad. I was always going to go down there no questions and we toyed with the idea of buying/staying down there etc. Yet what we saved on rent was eaten up on travel. And it was the travel that did us in in the end. I’d have to be on the 6.20am every day to London Bridge without fail to get in for 8.30am. I had no choice about missing a train. The journey back was the 5.35pm that got back into broadstairs at just before 7.30pm. There was no life, almost 4 hours on a south eastern train.

I guess it would’ve been different had we worked down there, but I couldn’t even begin to think of where I would place myself. I’m not a tradesman, wouldn’t want to work in retail. The tourist trade only really runs 5 months of the year and that left public sector and I think they had a Saga call centre as the big employer

I think for me it would be very hard to leave Brockley/Peckham etc. If I ever have a family I might think quite differently

A lot of things depend on where you live in London and how much money you have. If you live on a rough estate, have little money and kids go to a school where there are a load of social problems life will be tough.

Life can also be tough for some in towns and villages. Cities have benefits that towns/villages don't have and vice-versa. It's only with the benefit of hindsight that you can be sure you made the right choice.
  • I work as a community warden in the Peckham area. I will circulate to what is left of our team when I get in to work later.

Jesus, how bad can things be in Enfield if the answer is moving to Walsall?