Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Putin - The New Tsar -BBC

Not sure if anyone else has seen this but it's a fascinating and frightening insight into the rise to power of Putin. There seem to be many similarities between him and Trump personality wise but Putin seems a lot smarter.

Putin is running rings around the West who seem to have massively underestimated him. How far will he go?

It seems increasingly hard to speak out against him.

Comments

• Not sure if anyone else has seen this but it's a fascinating and frightening insight into the rise to power of Putin. There seem to be many similarities between him and Trump personality wise but Putin seems a lot smarter.

Putin is running rings around the West who seem to have massively underestimated him. How far will he go?

It seems increasingly hard to speak out against him.

Good work from the BBC again.

I’m sure your mate Trumpy will ride to our rescue though, Hoof it :smiley:

Seriously, if he has something on Trump, as suspected, it could all get very dangerous....
  • Putin is the most powerful and dangerous leader in the world. All oligarchs pay their protection money to him or they are history. Dissidents have no chance of survival in England as we are so insignificant on the world stage, other than London being a good place to launder money. There will be an inquiry into the Swindon incident which takes years and attempted suicide will be the verdict. One party state with money to buy people all over the world and the common Russian folk crushed if they oppose. With Trump in the White House with the help of Moscow they have carte blanche to expand. Decent leaders like Gorbachev and Obama are now yesterdays men and McMafia spreads it's wings with the collusion of the Kremlin. Dangerous times yet again for democracy.
  • Will watch Panorama over the weekend, might learn about some new names in the food chain. Pleased it's on for an hour. I hope it has the quality reporting of Panorama's from my youth.
  • I'll see if I can track this down.

I also recommend the following from The Atlantic, "What Putin Really Wants." This is particularly focused on the US election hacking, but it shows that Putin is not the omnipotent Machiavellian genius puppet master that he's sometimes been made out to be in this country, but someone who gambled small and won big.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/01/putins-game/546548/
  • As @PragueAddick mentioned the psychologist input throughout the programme was very interesting. Putin couldn’t believe his luck to begin with but has become more and more emboldened and now thinks he has the ability to do whatever he wants. Been a few others like this in history and look what that led to!
  • When was this on?
  • When was this on?

Last night BBC2, 9pm
  • Chaz Hill said:

When was this on?

Last night BBC2, 9pm
    Also on BBC2 Mon 11.15pm
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2018
    Chaz Hill said:

As @PragueAddick mentioned the psychologist input throughout the programme was very interesting. Putin couldn’t believe his luck to begin with but has become more and more emboldened and now thinks he has the ability to do whatever he wants. Been a few others like this in history and look what that led to!

Yeah Julia Ioffe in that Atlantic piece makes much the same point, and I've heard other Russian journalists/journalists who cover Russia make similar points. I almost wrote earlier that it comes across like Putin is a bit of a chancer, a dog that caught the car. Maybe that's too severe, and he is obviously capable of a lot, but he's not the genius he's sometimes made out to be here.
  • Interesting and quite frightening article about Russia in Daily Mail today.
  • You can certainly see exactly why the Baltic countries are worried
  • Good bit of TV that!
  • Also on IPlayer.
  • edited March 2018
    Great documentary and Prof Iain Robinson gave some insights into the personality of Putin. Yelstin the drunk having a boot sale and giving state companies to eight families and Putin becoming president and making sure that his associates run the companies if the oligarchs don't pay up. 18 years as leader and Putin is now the richest man in Russia and no chance of stepping down. Introverted, lacking charisma but the most powerful politician in the world. What a paradox.
  • Great documentary and Prof Iain Robinson gave some insights into the personality of Putin. Yelstin the drunk having a boot sale and giving state companies to eight families and Putin becoming president and making sure that his associates run the companies if the oligarchs don't pay up. 18 years as leader and Putin is now the richest man in Russia and no chance of stepping down. Introverted, lacking charisma but the most powerful politician in the world. What a paradox.

The incident with bringing the dog to the Merkel meeting showed, more than anything, what an arrogant, twisted fcuk he is.
  • Chaz Hill said:

Great documentary and Prof Iain Robinson gave some insights into the personality of Putin. Yelstin the drunk having a boot sale and giving state companies to eight families and Putin becoming president and making sure that his associates run the companies if the oligarchs don't pay up. 18 years as leader and Putin is now the richest man in Russia and no chance of stepping down. Introverted, lacking charisma but the most powerful politician in the world. What a paradox.

The incident with bringing the dog to the Merkel meeting showed, more than anything, what an arrogant, twisted fcuk he is.
    It was uniquely nasty and just shows what a brute of a man he is.
  • John McDonnell on Marr has just said that he will no longer appear on RT, and will tell his Labour colleagues to do the same. Penny slowly dropping.
  • I’m more than a little concerned that slowly the people’s of the world are rejecting liberal democracies for how shall I say, less conciliatory politics and leaders. I’m not sure how many the world can have before a dreadful error of judgement is made that leads us down a path none of us want.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chilling.
    And that's just the fact that he based his early presidency on one of his idols.
    Tony Blair!!
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA8x_ozvtqo

Thought provoking interview with Mikhail Khodorkovsky on Newsnight last night.

Is Putin now a puppet? Suggestions that his gangster mates are now getting the upper hand. Scary.

• Chaz Hill said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA8x_ozvtqo

Is Putin now a puppet? Suggestions that his gangster mates are now getting the upper hand. Scary.

Shocking to watch....
  • Any truth in that Putin is now in the control of the Russian mafia means to me that at some point down the road we are going to see a military coup. Not sure what’s more concerning to be honest. With the mafia it’s all about money not land grabs and if the military take over we could see it go either way. A move to make Russia a real democracy or a hard line return to a new USSR.
  • Chaz Hill said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA8x_ozvtqo

That is quite a revelatory interview!
  • Thought the Panorama documentary was very insightful much better than the John Sweeney one in Russia which told us nothing we don't already know. Never realised that Putin's rise was mostly by chance.
  • Any truth in that Putin is now in the control of the Russian mafia means to me that at some point down the road we are going to see a military coup. Not sure what’s more concerning to be honest. With the mafia it’s all about money not land grabs and if the military take over we could see it go either way. A move to make Russia a real democracy or a hard line return to a new USSR.

Interesting times indeed. I see Costco are advertising a ‘disaster survival pack’ for £4K. Could be a good investment.
  • Chaz Hill said:

Any truth in that Putin is now in the control of the Russian mafia means to me that at some point down the road we are going to see a military coup. Not sure what’s more concerning to be honest. With the mafia it’s all about money not land grabs and if the military take over we could see it go either way. A move to make Russia a real democracy or a hard line return to a new USSR.

Interesting times indeed. I see Costco are advertising a ‘disaster survival pack’ for £4K. Could be a good investment.
    It would be more cost effective to buy a shotgun and a large stockpile of cartridges for murdering your friends and neighbours and then stealing their supplies (hypothetically) :-)