Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Fiiish said:

Stig said:

Nadou said:

Got €1.06 to the £ today. Those bloody Europeans, stealing my money. Don't they realise the Queen's head is on the money over here. Pay a bit of respect. Our money's worth much more than that Euro trash stuff.

I got 1.13 this morning...who did you buy them from your mrs.
    Whoopee flipping do. It was 1.36 when this whole mess started.

https://finder.com/uk/brexit-pound
    Whoopppeeedooooooooo was 1.02 five years agooooooooo.
    JIIMMY HILL!

Screenshot 2018-03-05 21.33.46

Source: uktradeinfo
    Think it’s unkind to pull Chippy up on this. I doubt he knows what a decimal point is or the difference it makes where you put it.

I bet he Googled the exchange rates as well instead of just knowing off the top of his head what the exchange rate was each month 5 years ago. Which is cheating and unfair because Chippy doesn't know how to use Google.
    Lol I don't know how to use it...feel better today...btw I asked our secretary this morning to look through my expenses since 2007. My trip to dijon in 2009 was at .99 to the euro. 2012 trip to Cologne 1.02. These euros were bought st the money exchange at Gatwick airport.

Up yours to those that questioned it. As usual you know **** all.

I was incorrect saying 55% of the electorate in Italy voted against the EU. It is 61%.

Another brick out of that wall.
    Chippy, chippy chips. No Italian party had a platform of leaving the EU or calling a referendum on it. Five Star dropped its previous interest in holding a referendum on being in the eurozone. Facts.

Now please promise me that in future you will never again exchange money at airports. You are supporting rip-off merchants who are really there to fleece rich Saudis. Actually since you seem to travel around the EU on business as much as I do, perhaps I can recommend a multi-currency bank account. Transferwise are promising they will soon have one for personal customers which will be a whole lot cheaper than Citibank. Or just consult Martin Lewis

I am very concerned about your welfare in the jungle that is Euroland, Chips. Don't hesitate to contact me about anything that may be worrying you. Very impressed that you still have a 'secretary' though. You must be a real big-shot.

• Fiiish said:

Stig said:

Nadou said:

Got €1.06 to the £ today. Those bloody Europeans, stealing my money. Don't they realise the Queen's head is on the money over here. Pay a bit of respect. Our money's worth much more than that Euro trash stuff.

JIIMMY HILL!

Think it’s unkind to pull Chippy up on this. I doubt he knows what a decimal point is or the difference it makes where you put it.

I bet he Googled the exchange rates as well instead of just knowing off the top of his head what the exchange rate was each month 5 years ago. Which is cheating and unfair because Chippy doesn't know how to use Google.
    Lol I don't know how to use it...feel better today...btw I asked our secretary this morning to look through my expenses since 2007. My trip to dijon in 2009 was at .99 to the euro. 2012 trip to Cologne 1.02. These euros were bought st the money exchange at Gatwick airport.

I was incorrect saying 55% of the electorate in Italy voted against the EU. It is 61%.

Chippy, chippy chips. No Italian party had a platform of leaving the EU or calling a referendum on it. Five Star dropped its previous interest in holding a referendum on being in the eurozone. Facts.

Now please promise me that in future you will never again exchange money at airports. You are supporting rip-off merchants who are really there to fleece rich Saudis. Actually since you seem to travel around the EU on business as much as I do, perhaps I can recommend a multi-currency bank account. Transferwise are promising they will soon have one for personal customers which will be a whole lot cheaper than Citibank. Or just consult Martin Lewis

I am very concerned about your welfare in the jungle that is Euroland, Chips. Don't hesitate to contact me about anything that may be worrying you. Very impressed that you still have a 'secretary' though. You must be a real big-shot.

I think you are being a little disingenuous, Prague. In the UK the only party that was calling for Brexit was UKIP which maxed at 4 million votes. Yet 17.4 million voted to Leave.
    If eurosceptic parties are getting 60% of the vote, that is a pretty big sign of disillusion with the EU project. Of course, only a referendum would really tell how deep that runs....
  • Fiiish said:

Stig said:

Nadou said:

JIIMMY HILL!

Dijon. Place names attract a capital letter. Hope you had help with your doctoral work.

• Southbank said:

Fiiish said:

Stig said:

Nadou said:

JIIMMY HILL!

I think you are being a little disingenuous, Prague. In the UK the only party that was calling for Brexit was UKIP which maxed at 4 million votes. Yet 17.4 million voted to Leave.
    If eurosceptic parties are getting 60% of the vote, that is a pretty big sign of disillusion with the EU project. Of course, only a referendum would really tell how deep that runs....
    Ok, you have persuaded me - let's have another one :)
  • Fiiish said:

Stig said:

Nadou said:

JIIMMY HILL!

I'll bet she loved you...
  • Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

"It cannot work"

It's worked pretty well for the best part of 30 years. Certainly works better than if the EU had never existed at all.

How do you know that?

Most of the above (which are all good things) would simply not have been possible without the EU. And from a personal perspective a lot of good friends who came here thanks to the ease of work and travel in the EU probably would never have come here if their rights were not guaranteed.

One thing Brexiters can never claim is that Europe would be better had the EU never existed. It is pretty indisputable it has been a catalyst for progress and prosperity across the continent.
    Well I am going to claim that it is possible Europe would be better had the EU never existed. Many of the things quoted above would probably have happened in some form anyway. And of course this all came at a considerable cost in terms of Eu budgets and administration. It's also possible that with a close future relationship with the EU many of these things can continue.

For the past I think it's what that great American politician Donald Rumsfeld would have called an unknown unknown
  • Sponsored links:

• Great American politician Donald Rumsfeld?
  • If the evidence was so overwhelmingly in support of the Eu it should have been a shoe in for remain. It wasn't was it.

@Fiiish was insistent it was impossible for Europe to have been a better place without the EU. I was simply stating that how can we know that.

You guys seems to be getting more passionate about the Eu as each day passes. I neither love it or hate it.
  • It wasn't down to evidence, but emotion and xenophobia. When supposedly respected politicians talk about all these amazing trade deals we are going to do whilst risking our biggest market I wonder if we are in some sort of alternate reality. Don't listen to the experts was the phrase that summed up the case for Brexit for me.
  • Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

"It cannot work"

It's worked pretty well for the best part of 30 years. Certainly works better than if the EU had never existed at all.

How do you know that?

Most of the above (which are all good things) would simply not have been possible without the EU. And from a personal perspective a lot of good friends who came here thanks to the ease of work and travel in the EU probably would never have come here if their rights were not guaranteed.

One thing Brexiters can never claim is that Europe would be better had the EU never existed. It is pretty indisputable it has been a catalyst for progress and prosperity across the continent.
    Well I am going to claim that it is possible Europe would be better had the EU never existed. Many of the things quoted above would probably have happened in some form anyway. And of course this all came at a considerable cost in terms of Eu budgets and administration. It's also possible that with a close future relationship with the EU many of these things can continue.

For the past I think it's what that great American politician Donald Rumsfeld would have called an unknown unknown
    Fucking Bingo. Everything a Brexit argument could wish for. Ignore evidence in front of you with a trite argument. All those countries in the eu have thrived over the last thirty years. Do you remember just what it was like here in the seventies? It’s all a coincidence of course that this massive uplift in living standards was during the eu years.

EU or eu? Proper nouns, etc :wink:
  • edited March 2018

If the evidence was so overwhelmingly in support of the Eu it should have been a shoe in for remain. It wasn't was it.

@Fiiish was insistent it was impossible for Europe to have been a better place without the EU. I was simply stating that how can we know that.

You guys seems to be getting more passionate about the Eu as each day passes. I neither love it or hate it.

OK, I will amend to "it is within the realms of possibility that 28 separate sovereign states to have accomplished as much as the EU has in 28 years despite the huge administrative burden on each state it would have taken if this had not been all centralised, which in the long run has saved everyone a lot of money and effort."

And by the way that is within the same realms of possibility as buying a single lottery ticket every week for a whole year and winning the jackpot 52 times in a row. It is possible, but so fucking unlikely only someone trying to prove a completely inane point would suggest it could actually happen in real life (as opposed to hypothetically).
  • edited March 2018
    Just seen on news, there is a 10% tariff on all US cars exported to the EU and a 2.5% tariff for all EU cars exported to US. Something Trump is cross about! That was a bit of shoddy negotiating by the EU, I'm sure Liam Fox could do better!
  • Here is an excellent article which argues that the UK does not understand the motivations of the European side - and understanding the other side is essential to a good negotiation. The part which summarises how Europeans see the British rings very true to me, having lived so long in a business and political environment where "the Brits" can be studied alongside other nationals in the way they respond to a given situation or problem.

Uncomfortable but thoughtful reading, and not overlong.
  • Fiiish said:

If the evidence was so overwhelmingly in support of the Eu it should have been a shoe in for remain. It wasn't was it.

OK, I will amend to "it is within the realms of possibility that 28 separate sovereign states to have accomplished as much as the EU has in 28 years despite the huge administrative burden on each state it would have taken if this had not been all centralised, which in the long run has saved everyone a lot of money and effort."

And by the way that is within the same realms of possibility as buying a single lottery ticket every week for a whole year and winning the jackpot 52 times in a row. It is possible, but so fucking unlikely only someone trying to prove a completely inane point would suggest it could actually happen in real life (as opposed to hypothetically).
    Good to see that you have accepted your original statement needed amendment. Shame you had to do what you normally do and descend in to a tone of superiority condescension and rudeness.

• Sponsored links:

• edited March 2018

Fiiish said:

Good to see that you have accepted your original statement needed amendment. Shame you had to do what you normally do and descend in to a tone of superiority condescension and rudeness.

Shame you had to make a really stupid point purely because you disagreed with a fact that did not fit into your worldview but horses for courses I suppose.
  • Any solution to the Irish border issue yet guys?
  • seth plum said:

Any solution to the Irish border issue yet guys?

I thought it had been decided we are having USA-Canada type border?
  • seth plum said:

Nope, doesn't match what our government has said they want and already turned down by the Irish.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-43302493

"Is the US-Canada border a 'soft border'?
    No. There is a significant amount of infrastructure at major crossings including checkpoints, areas for marshalling lorries and overhead gantries. Lorries are stopped at the border and there are immigration controls.

So it would not meet the UK commitment to avoid a 'hard border'?
    No. The Irish government seems to have anticipated the Canada example. Taoiseach (Irish Prime Minister) Leo Varadkar visited the border last year.

He said it was "high tech and highly efficient, but make no mistake - it's a hard border".

He reiterated that position on Monday night saying: "That is definitely not a solution that we can possibly entertain."
  • seth plum said:

That is the long way round to go from Sligo to Bangor, via Seattle and Vancouver. Sounds a bit like a London taxi drivers direct route to be fair.
  • My statement was not stupid. Why do you have to be so rude.

Cue
    Fuckwit
    Moron
    Xenophobic
    Racist
    Fascist
    Nazi

Etc etc

• edited March 2018

My statement was not stupid. Why do you have to be so rude.

Cue
    Fuckwit
    Moron
    Xenophobic
    Racist
    Fascist
    Nazi

Etc etc

I wasn't the only one to call out your post for being stupid. Now you're just been flippant because you realise you're wrong and attacking me instead of actually addressing the points being put to you. Which is depressingly typical of Brexiters. And I have not used any of the above words, so jog on, you're just being a troll now. Wouldn't go around calling others rude when you've hardly been a shining beacon of civility.
  • I am not wrong. I have a different opinion and just because you choose in your imitable style to put it down doesn't make it less valid.

My simple point is that post 1945 there could have been alternative scenarios that could have been better or worse than the EU in the format that has evolved over time. Your approach is that is not possible. I have never said that the EU has not done good things.

And when reading this thread (and the previous one that was closed when it got too hot) you have consistently been rude and dismissive to anyone who dare defend a different opinion to yours.

Chippy was right regarding his exchange rate but did get the timing wrong.

The headline in the FT today was about how the result of the Italian election would put it on a collision course with the EU. Something yesterday you shouted down.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!