Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So how are you going to change your diet?

Britain needs to go on a diet.

The popular foods being targeted.
Food manufacturers, supermarkets, takeaways and fast-food outlets have been told to reduce the calories in the following foods:

savoury biscuits and crackers
speciality breads, such as ciabatta with olives
cooking sauces and dressings
crisps and savoury snacks
egg products
potato products
meat products, such as pies, pastries, sausages and burgers
pasta, rice and noodles
ready meals and takeaways
dips
pizza
food-to-go, such as sandwiches
soups
If action is not taken, PHE said, it would be prepared to ask the government to legisla

Comments

• blimey, that list is pretty much what I eat on a daily basis!
  • The answer is..................................... A whole food plant based nutrition diet.
  • Stevelamb said:

Food manufacturers, supermarkets, takeaways and fast-food outlets have been told to reduce the calories in the following foods:

egg products

potato products
    pasta, rice and noodles
    dips

pizza
    soups
    If action is not taken, PHE said, it would be prepared to ask the government to legisla

I've already cut all those out personally. I assume by soups and sandwiches they're referring to pre-packaged ones. I generally try to limit these anyway, as £3+ for a sandwich is madness.

Can't not have potatoes though, Irish blood - shit is like oxygen to me.

• Obesity and diabetes will sink the NHS if nothing is done. Stopping people eating badly is the biggest challenge public health england faces.

If you work in the NHS you will see the scale of the problem - particularly depressing when it comes to children. Hard to change a junk food culture....
  • started this time last year. no diet but just changed my portion sizes (more veg & salad) cut down on potatoes and sugar & switched the daily biscuit (or 3) with my cuppa for the weight watchers/special K choc bar. No major changes & have lost just over a stone.
  • I would imagine that my premature death will change my diet fairly drastically
  • Lower calories all they like, but if you can only afford tins or £1 sacks of chicken nuggets... then making ciabbatta and olives go fat free is absolutely fkin pointless
  • Stevelamb said:

The answer is..................................... A whole food plant based nutrition diet.

• Sponsored links:

• Try vegan.
  • edited March 2018
    The biggest issue is alcohol. It starts early with young people at university drinking thousands of calories a night. I don’t think it’s the tesco sandwich in the morning that’s the issue.
  • I have so little will power when it comes to food and drink that it's embarrassing. I also eat when I can't think of anything else to do and I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to do that.
  • shine166 said:

Lower calories all they like, but if you can only afford tins or £1 sacks of chicken nuggets... then making ciabbatta and olives go fat free is absolutely fkin pointless

There are numerous issues around healthy eating - some is related to the cost, some is related to ignorance/education and some also unfortunately has to be down people not taking personal responsibility. I've done a lot of work on vascular wards in hospitals where diet, smoking and a lack of exercise are significant contributory factors in a lot of conditions. Some of the patients just wouldn't change their lifestyle.

Working on a vascular ward certainly encourages you to keep healthy as you see the consequences of smoking, heavy drinking, bad diet and lack of exercise. It ultimately in most cases catches up with you.
  • Good diet, exercise, and healthy lifestyle are very important but ultimately it’s the genes you inherited that are at least as important.
  • dizzee said:

The biggest issue is alcohol. It starts early with young people at university drinking thousands of calories a night. I don’t think it’s the tesco sandwich in the morning that’s the issue.

Yeah this 100%, you go to the pub and have 5 pints, that is nearly your entire daily calories gone. I've nearly cut out alcohol in 2018 as well as a healthier diet and i've lost 13kg in 2 and bit months
  • Good diet, exercise, and healthy lifestyle are very important but ultimately it’s the genes you inherited that are at least as important.

If you smoke and drink heavily, eat a bad diet and don't exercise then your genes won't save you. Some illnesses are down to our lifestyle and others are more down to our genes.

Good genes aren't always dished out fairly - sadly a bit of a lottery.

A lot of poor health choices are down to poor mental health - someone who is depressed etc is less likely to look after themselves.
  • agim said:

We all know what's bad for us and what's good for us. Since July last year I've lost nearly 3 stone purely just by working out three times a week and putting a bit of thought into what I eat.
    Dieting doesn't have to cost money. I make my lunches for £10 a week maybe just over. I was spending £10 a day eating junk before. Its just lack of organisation and laziness that stops people.

There are numerous reasons why people eat unhealthily - it's not always down to laziness. Whatever the reason we have a big problem in the UK that needs to be tackled.

The level of obesity amongst kids is shocking.
  • edited March 2018
    Genes have nothing to do with it.
    If you eat the same food as your mother fed you and her mother fed her they say it is in the genes.....Rubbish its is the food you eat and have been taught to eat. No mothers fault by the the way it is just what we have been taught to eat.
    If you eat bad food it can end up in your jeans though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fiiish said:

Stevelamb said:

The answer is..................................... A whole food plant based nutrition diet.

That Orangutan is not a meat eater,neither is a Cow, Hippo, Elephant or Gorilla before anyone asks "but where do you get your protein from ?".
  • edited March 2018
    as much as i like a pint and a bit of bad food and am a bit portly, what about those who drain the NHS for illnesses related to this yet don't work and sit on there ass not only getting fatter but contributing fuck all to it, that's get the mass unemployed into work - although many of them don't want to work as its an easier life sitting at home. and you would save a lot
  • Harsh on Fern. She's a big lass but maybe she likes being that way
  • Post Brexit you'll all be eating rats anyway, drop the lbs in days.
  • edited March 2018
    Stevelamb said:

egg products
    potato products
    pasta, rice and noodles
    dips
    pizza
    soups

Interesting how some of the most damaging foods are missing off the above list.
    So I would add all dairy products to the above list with particular attention to cheese.
    I would also add oil as one major item to avoid, and yes this does include olive oil virgin or not.
    High sugar soda type drinks are not as bad as you might think or are lead to believe, it is what you eat with them that causes the damage.
  • Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

egg products
    potato products
    pasta, rice and noodles
    dips
    pizza
    soups

So I would add all dairy products to the above list with particular attention to cheese.
    I would also add oil as one major item to avoid, and yes this does include olive oil virgin or not.
    High sugar soda type drinks are not as bad as you might think or are lead to believe, it is what you eat with them that causes the damage.
    bloody hell whats left
  • Stevelamb said:

egg products
    potato products
    pasta, rice and noodles
    dips
    pizza
    soups

I regularly eat the ones I haven't crossed out, in addition to healthier foods as well. I think as with all these things, a balanced approach and exercise
  • edited March 2018

Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

egg products
    potato products
    pasta, rice and noodles
    dips
    pizza
    soups

bloody hell whats left

You can cut down to a moderate intake of the above if you want just a moderate heart attack,stroke or cancer.
    What is left to eat is a whole food plant based diet.
    No meat or dairy products.
    In a couple of years in America patients will start to sue doctors for not telling them about eating a whole food plant based diet.
    You will soon see posters saying "When was the last time your doctor talked to you about eating a whole food plant based diet".
    Doctors are taught nothing about nutrition...........Fact. Only how to treat this western disease of obesity.
  • Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

egg products
    potato products
    pasta, rice and noodles
    dips
    pizza
    soups

bloody hell whats left

You can cut down to a moderate intake of the above if you want just a moderate heart attack,stroke or cancer.
    What is left to eat is a whole food plant based diet.
    No meat or dairy products.
    In a couple of years in America patients will start to sue doctors for not telling them about eating a whole food plant based diet.
    You will soon see posters saying "When was the last time your doctor talked to you about eating a whole food plant based diet".
    Doctors are taught nothing about nutrition...........Fact. Only how to treat.
    does that translate to vegan?
  • Food Fascism shock.