Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone on here work in Construction & going to MIPIM 2018?

Just wondered if anyone on here has been to MIPIM in the past and if they have any tips or tricks for a noob

ta

Comments

• Options
    Unfortunately not, just the far less glamorous Eco-build for me
  • Options

I went there a few years ago (5 maybe) and thought it was pants. Has it improved in recent years?

I'm doing MIPIM on a very tight budget with cheap flights, Air BnB accommodation in Antibes and not going in to the conferences (that was €3000 per ticket). I am sharking in the bars and coffee houses outside. Just no idea what to expect of it
  • Options
    I didn't go last year but a couple of years ago it was fairly good, I'm an energy assessor so it gets a lot of my CPD out of the way for the year.
  • Options
    I went 3 years on the trot a few years back - my kidneys were waving the white flag by the end of it

It's ok - lots of bullshitters down there - I did come back with a few good deals each time I went though

Three tips

1 - drink water not coffee during the morning - you will get offered lots of coffee, and if you are not careful you end up with a mega headache even before you start on the beers

2 - don't be afraid of cutting short talking to someone who you quickly realise will be of no value to what you do - lots of lawyers go there, and rarely do you get business from them - they are after your business

3 - if you can, eat in the old town in the evening - much better restaurants, and it's away from all the beer swilling Brits outside Bar Roma, who (as the evening wears on) are the worst advert for the UK property industry !!!
  • Options

I’ll be visiting Ecobuild on Wednesday and Thursday. You exhibiting @Pelling1993 ?
  • Options

I went 3 years on the trot a few years back - my kidneys were waving the white flag by the end of it

It's ok - lots of bullshitters down there - I did come back with a few good deals each time I went though

Three tips

1 - drink water not coffee during the morning - you will get offered lots of coffee, and if you are not careful you end up with a mega headache even before you start on the beers

2 - don't be afraid of cutting short talking to someone who you quickly realise will be of no value to what you do - lots of lawyers go there, and rarely do you get business from them - they are after your business

3 - if you can, eat in the old town in the evening - much better restaurants, and it's away from all the beer swilling Brits outside Bar Roma, who (as the evening wears on) are the worst advert for the UK property industry !!!

Thanks for the tips. I'm not a coffee drinker anyway so will stick to softer stuff. Good to know about t he old town tip - there's nothing I hate more than the "lads on tour" brits!

• Options

I’ll be visiting Ecobuild on Wednesday and Thursday. You exhibiting @Pelling1993 ?
    I think me and the old man are just going to pop up on the Thursday for a wander round, very interested to see what the reception is like for Celotex this year as they've had a shocker
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Three tips

Thanks for the tips. I'm not a coffee drinker anyway so will stick to softer stuff. Good to know about t he old town tip - there's nothing I hate more than the "lads on tour" brits!

Oh one other thing - if you get into an event that is linked to Reed MIPIM don't put your business card in the big glass bowl when go in - Reed MIPIM go in and collect all the business cards and check them against their list of people who registered for the event

The year before I went a colleague (who had not registered) did put his card in - a few months later our boss got a letter threatening legal action from Reed MIPIM !!!

My company now has to register all people going and it costs a lot of money - going in the exhibition hall is very interesting, but my bank isn't in the market for funding a whole new city in Azerbaijan !!!

Recommend this restaurant if you can get in

• Options
    If you're looking to eat on the Rue du Suquet (picturesque restaurant that winds uphill from the old town), it's a bit of a tourist trap and easy to get sucked into some the first ones lower down the street. My tip would be to walk all the way to the top first, then try some of the first restaurants you come to on the way back down. Mickaella at no 23 was very good last summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have some meetings booked before you go but leave gaps in the diary for people you bump into.

Loads of professionals, lawyers, accountants, values, agents, founders etc, less and less actual property owners in my experience.

It’s fun a couple of times but that is about it. Most fly, but if you go back next year there is one group that cycle there and another that take a train (see “Cannes Cannes Express website”)

Unless it has changed since I went then don’t expect to get on the harbour to any of the boats (should you have been invited), without a €3K ticket to the bunker.

English congregate in pubs and bars, the rest of Europe go for a coffee!

I suspect that the male dominated real estate profession which covered itself in so little glory during the President Club recent dinner will find more press than usual visiting MIPIM this year !