Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is there a water shortage? - the cost of drinks when eating out

I know this is not new but why such an upmark on what is essentially water.
You know. What two thirds of the earth is covered in?

Went to Bella Italia. Wife loaded up with coupons for the food. Didn't matter one jot when the drinks bill came out! And we're talking soft drinks here. Not dom peringnon!

Comments

• Because they can advertise cheap food deals then hit the drinks prices for the majority of their profit?
  • I know this is not new but why such an upmark on what is essentially water.
    You know. What two thirds of the earth is covered in?

Went to Bella Italia. Wife loaded up with coupons for the food. Didn't matter one jot when the drinks bill came out! And we're talking soft drinks here. Not dom peringnon!

I think you'll find two thirds of the world is covered in salt water.
    Restaurants love people coming in with coupons so they hit them for the drinks.
  • Just order tap water.
  • How many people do order tap water though in a restaurant.
    Im as tight as arseholes but even i wouldn't order tap water.
    Seen tap water ordered twice one was at the ivy.
  • clb74 said:

How many people do order tap water though in a restaurant.

You're not as tight as arseholes mate.
  • I always ask for tap water for the table, but will have drinks already
  • 101 always order tap water, its actually usually cleaner than mineral water anyway.
  • I order tap water, admittedly sometimes along with wine
  • Sponsored links:

• 101 always order tap water, its actually usually cleaner than mineral water anyway.

Good luck with that mate !
  • Just order tap water.

But what are they putting in the pepsi?
    Gold flake?

• clb74 said:

Very generous at Wimbledon a couple of seasons ago.
  • clb74 said:

Which prompted my comment.

A very generous man.
  • Glass of tap water and if the waiter pulls a face ask for a glass of milk instead
  • Regularly get a jug of tap water for the table, doesn't stop me spending a fortune on over priced wine and beer.
  • clb74 said:

Which prompted my comment.

A very generous man.
    Not as generous as you mate.

When you are holding his money :smiley:
  • The immigrants have had it all away.
  • Went out for lunch last Thursday, taking advantage of the special lunch offer....£7 each, total bill with drinks came to £68.80.
  • Went out for lunch last Thursday, taking advantage of the special lunch offer....£7 each, total bill with drinks came to £68.80.

Not bad for nine people.

• Sponsored links:

• That's why you go somewhere that does free refills!
  • Tap water, I only like tap water if it’s frozen into little cubes and put into my large glass of whisky.
  • edited March 2018
    Yes @carly burn there is just ask @Mendonca In Asdas wife
  • Tap water, I only like tap water if it’s frozen into little cubes and put into my large glass of whisky.

Ice in Whisky? The horror, the horror! ;o)

• edited March 2018
    We generally order a couple of regular drinks i.e a beer/glass of wine each and then have a jug of tap water between us from there, unless it's a special occasion then we pay £20 for a bottle of wine that is £7.99 in the shops.

Lime and Soda is generally around £1 wherever you go.
  • Dazzler21 said:

We generally order a couple of regular drinks i.e a beer/glass of wine each and then have a jug of tap water between us from there, unless it's a special occasion then we pay £20 for a bottle of wine that is £7.99 in the shops.

that really takes the piss, £1 for 25ml of lime cordial is disgusting
  • Dazzler21 said:

that really takes the piss, £1 for 25ml of lime cordial is disgusting
    Yep, I agree. In pubs I have paid as little as 55p and in restaurants as much as £2.50!
  • Dazzler21 said:

Remember as a student a pub near us had 3 hours of free pool if you were buying drinks - we all used to get lime and sodas at 30p a pop.

Landlord must have hated us, looking back!
  • edited March 2018
    When in the UK I like Cote Brasserie, they automatically bring you a bottle of filtered water without asking. We always order a bottle of house red wherever we are, and have noticed in recent years that many people now order tap water rather than bottled, so we have no issue with doing the same (I wouldn't if I were not having a "proper" drink too - restaurants have to make a living too). As bottled water is so cheap here in Portugal, UK prices feel like a real piss take - not as bad as Germany though paid up to €7 for a litre there...