Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ryan Sessegnon of Fulham

Another goal today... really turning heads now and only 17.

13 goals this season which isn't bad from a left wing back!

Will most likely be in the England team for years to come but will the summer World Cup be too early for him?

Comments

• I dont know if he should go to the World Cup but if this was any other time then I would definitely look at getting him involved with the England squad.
  • If we’re basing it purely on domestic form then you’ve got to say that a front 3 of Sessegnon - Kane - Sterling looks very promising.

Shame about the rest of the team
  • If he is good enough then he is old enough.
  • Think he needs prem experience first.
    How many players have done well in championship and not proven in prem.

Great player
    Great future
    No to world cup this year
  • There's no way he should go to world cup. Not played in the top flight yet, It would be a wasted pick just like Sven did with Walcott back in the day.
  • Play him in the friendlies against Holland and Italy
  • Read an article about the Leipzig/Dortmund game and how two of England’s future stars will Be playing- who along with sessegnon could really play big parts in the national team in the future
  • Call him up for Holland and Italy and go from there...

Same with Phil Foden for me

Play him in the friendlies against Holland and Italy

Thing is; Jay Dasilva was utilised by the Seniors for a training session in the last break so Id be surprised if Southgate doesnt at least do something similar

I know its been said that we could have Sessegnon / Kane / Sterling one day - If he reaches his potential you could replace the latter with Jadon Sancho
  • sammy391 said:

Read an article about the Leipzig/Dortmund game and how two of England’s future stars will Be playing- who along with sessegnon could really play big parts in the national team in the future

Sancho (Dortmund) is injured so only Lookman can be involved with this game tonight
  • Sponsored links:

• sammy391 said:

Read an article about the Leipzig/Dortmund game and how two of England’s future stars will Be playing- who along with sessegnon could really play big parts in the national team in the future

Sancho (Dortmund) is injured so only Lookman can be involved with this game tonight
    Lookman not starting
  • edited March 2018
    Quality player and Fulham are very good side to watch. Don't know how they didn't get closer to promotion last season.

Great player
    Great future

Just stinks of Darren Bent and taking Walcott at 17.

Just cause he plays for Fulham and not man utd.

Wankers, get him in.

Great player
    Great future

Wankers, get him in.
    No more than happy for a Swansea player or a Burnley player to go.

But its a World Cup you need players who have at least played top level football,

No Premier League Games
    No England caps
    Lets shove him into a world cup and then moan when we get knocked out in the group stage
  • Unbelievable talent. The World Cup might be a year too early but we have some superb youngsters coming through

Great player
    Great future

Wankers, get him in.

But its a World Cup you need players who have at least played top level football,

No Premier League Games
    No England caps
    Lets shove him into a world cup and then moan when we get knocked out in the group stage
    On the other hand we’ve hardly got a squad of game changers. Give him a taste of tournament life and the media circus around it all. Germany have been known to do it and they ain’t too bad.
  • edited March 2018

Think he needs prem experience first.

Great player
    Great future

Wankers, get him in.

No Premier League Games
    No England caps
    On the other hand we’ve hardly got a squad of game changers. Give him a taste of tournament life and the media circus around it all. Germany have been known to do it and they ain’t too bad.
    When Germany went to a tournement wiyh a squad of young players, i am pretty sure that they were all playing in the top leagues in the world.

Nothing wrong with taken young players who have expierence in big games.
    Lookman
    Calvert Lewin
    Gomez
    For example
  • edited March 2018
    I’m actually with you @paulie8290 on this one. Sessesgnon is a fantastic young player that is going to have a brilliant career at the top end of the game, but the World Cup this summer is too early for him.

I actually think with the media and how this country is when it comes to tournaments, having Sessesgnon as part of the 23 could do him more harm than good. It’s not like he’s 20/21 where he is more matured within the game and biologically speaking too, the boy is still only 17, 18 by the time the World Cup is here.

Let him do well between now and the end of the season for Fulham, without the pressure of playing for his country, let him develop and see how he does next season where we can introduce him in games where the pressure of a tournament like the World Cup is not on.

It seems to me we love to throw young players in and expect them to set it alight or think it’s going to be a great experience for them, when really, playing against experienced pros in that environment could be detrimental. Even if he doesn’t play, that’s a place in a 23 man squad that could be taken by someone who could be better for the team.

Players like Gomez, and others of similar quality, age and experience deserve to be thought about and given the chance to go and shine. Sessegnon will have his time, this summer however is not it.
  • edited March 2018

Sage said:

I’m actually with you @paulie8290 on this one.

Dont think anyone has ever said that to me in my life lol :wink:

First time for everything :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:

I’m actually with you @paulie8290 on this one. Sessesgnon is a fantastic young player that is going to have a brilliant career at the top end of the game, but the World Cup this summer is too early for him.

I actually think with the media and how this country is when it comes to tournaments, having Sessesgnon as part of the 23 could do him more harm than good. It’s not like he’s 20/21 where he is more matured within the game and biologically speaking too, the boy is still only 17, 18 by the time the World Cup is here.

Let him do well between now and the end of the season for Fulham, without the pressure of playing for his country, let him develop and see how he does next season where we can introduce him in games where the pressure of a tournament like the World Cup is not on.

It seems to me we love to throw young players in and expect them to set it alight or think it’s going to be a great experience for them, when really, playing against experienced pros in that environment could be detrimental. Even if he doesn’t play, that’s a place in a 23 man squad that could be taken by someone who could be better for the team.

Players like Gomez, and others of similar quality, age and experience deserve to be thought about and given the chance to go and shine. Sessegnon will have his time, this summer however is not it.

Agree, he's a fantastic talent and has been highly rated and a part of the Fulham first tean for a while now. But I think this tournament comes one, maybe two years too early for him. I think top flight experience would help (if he can't get it in England he should go abroad as Lookman has done). But as I've just said about Lookman, England are not want for pacey young wide players. And Sterling, Lingard, Rashford, and Dele all gave the ability to make things happen from wide(ish) positions. Plus Lallana, Ox, etc.

As for left wingback, Rose is good at attacking, Bertrand provides solid cover, and maybe Luke Shaw is starting to be a footballer again. I don't see the sense in picking a 17 year old ahead of them to play as a wingback.
  • Sage said:

If the FA has the money, is there anything to stop them taking some youngsters as training partners for the first 23?
  • I say why not...it’s not as though we will get far anyway. I would just like to see Harry Kane mix it with the best.
  • Solidgone said:

I say why not...it’s not as though we will get far anyway. I would just like to see Harry Kane mix it with the best.

I think he's a flat track bully. Even my Spurs supporting mate agrees. That's not to say that he won't have a good tournament, I just think he struggles (as does Dele) without the openness and pace that the Premier League provides and that that Spurs team creates. Obviously he's a better player now, but I think he's more likely to have a tournament similar to, albeit not as bad, as 2016 than he is to set the world alight.

Great player
    Great future

Wankers, get him in.

No Premier League Games
    No England caps
    We've had that bud and never got us anywhere and kin nowhere near it.
    We as as a country have fuck all to lose imo
  • I feel sorry for Ryan's twin brother, Steven, for being thought of the "not so good Sessegnon" as he hasn't even played a minute for the first team.
  • I'd add, since mid 90s desire is main thing, Bent would have had it, Trippier will, lookman will, sessegnon will, gomez will.
    We have nothing at all to lose

I expect to having the same arguments as last 3 World Cups and euros in 6 months time
  • Take a look at the U17 / U20 Squads for the big Nations that competed; Germany / Spain / France / Italy had teams at either of the mentioned levels... Everyone of their players are from squads at the top level so will likely have played in the UEFA Youth League.

Then look at the England squads... majority of players from the Premier League yet also squad players from the Championship and one certain player from League One.

England won those two Tournaments!!

Games are won, not always because of the best players but the best squads - Yes Tournaments go the way of experience yet not always... Since '66 we've gone into every Tournament with the same attitude (Gotta play the big players from the big clubs as they're used to winning, they're used to playing in big matches), but count on one hand how many trophies thats won us.

Its time to try something new... I'm not saying that England should throw the World Cup this year by taking a team of inexperienced players but we need to stop with the same damn approach as it isnt working.

Ever since last summer I've been saying that we should take a handful of players from that U17 team and handful from the U20s (three from each perhaps?) - Still leaves us with 17 places for experience yet there might be a game where we need a fearless youngster who'll want to prove his place and drive us forwards, rather than timidly passing sideways for the safe option.

It likely means we wont get very far this year (Quarters at best) yet can we really expect much better with the usual names?

Oh and my six...

Freddie Woodman
    Lewis Cook
    Ryan Sessegnon
    Phil Foden
    Dominic Solanke
    Jadon Sancho
  • edited March 2018

I'd add, since mid 90s desire is main thing, Bent would have had it, Trippier will, lookman will, sessegnon will, gomez will.
    We have nothing at all to lose

I expect to having the same arguments as last 3 World Cups and euros in 6 months time

Rooney had loads of it.

Forgot how to trap a football against Iceland. And he stopped playing a position and just strolled about.

At international level, it's about technique and tactics.
  • edited March 2018
    SDAddick said:

Solidgone said:

I say why not...it’s not as though we will get far anyway. I would just like to see Harry Kane mix it with the best.

I think he's a flat track bully. Even my Spurs supporting mate agrees. That's not to say that he won't have a good tournament, I just think he struggles (as does Dele) without the openness and pace that the Premier League provides and that that Spurs team creates. Obviously he's a better player now, but I think he's more likely to have a tournament similar to, albeit not as bad, as 2016 than he is to set the world alight.
    Like against June. The problem is we've not developed tactically since 1990. Kane should not be a focal point for England as we're shit, he'll get no chances. His actually superb at dropping a bit deeper and utilising the channels, both with scoring and assists. If we use him as the main striker our usual shitslow buildup'll do nothing.

As for Sessegnon give him a go in friendlies. If he manages to pass to a team ate and not run headown into space and then kick the ball out like Kyle Walker play him. We're piss poor tournament footballers anyway.