Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• That game also saw @jasoneuell bag a terrific double in front of the Covered End!

Watch highlights from it on Valley Pass

• He was immense for us. Two wins in a week against top London opposition.
    He just would not let an attacker go by him.

He came from Portugal and he knew which clubs to dislike.
  • Used to love it when he'd go up for a corner.

He obviously wasnt the quickest and when the opposition counter attacked you'd watch him frantically trying to get back
  • HandG said:

Wasn’t his debut Chelsea away which we also won? A Lisbie header in the last minute right in front of us-it doesn’t get much better than that.

Yes....Dec 2001....came on for last 15 mins for Mark Fish.
  • HandG said:

Wasn’t his debut Chelsea away which we also won? A Lisbie header in the last minute right in front of us-it doesn’t get much better than that.

It was and I was in the Chelsea end. It was very, very difficult to sit on my hands.
  • HandG said:

Great night. Lisbie wins a free kick by tripping himself up by the touchline & then gets a head onto the cross. Mental scenes.
  • Sponsored links:

• And not only could I write well then @Matt_Wright used to pay me for every article.

Did you read that Tom Rubashow?
  • the early 2000s were very good in terms of results against Chelsea (and in general)
  • Remember his debut at Chelsea. Only on for a while but was immense. Put in a real crunching tackle if i remember. Then Lisbie won it. Them were the days.
  • We beat Chelsea four times in a row over that period. Jorge Costa was immense that game. Best centre half I've seen play for Charlton.

Still annoys me it wasn’t five, after we squandered that 2-0 lead at home on the first day of the next season when Konchesky got himself sent off
  • One of the best defenders I saw at the Valley. Home or away.
  • Remember his debut at Chelsea. Only on for a while but was immense. Put in a real crunching tackle if i remember. Then Lisbie won it. Them were the days.

I remember the press conference when he signed .

They asked how he felt about marking (the pre Charlton ) Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink . Jorge answered that he had played against JFH many times and the Dutchman had never scored . The assembled press laughed . Jorge was being serious .

On another piece of trivia Jorge finished his playing career with Standard Liege .
  • Chunes said:

One of the best defenders I saw at the Valley. Home or away.

Oh Yes
  • @AFKABartram thought he was over-rated.

• Sponsored links:

• Fantastic player, intelligent footballer, not blessed with pace but could read the game superbly, his style of play reminded me of Bobby Moore.
  • The tank. Loved every minute. Still remember him in tears when he came over to the away end after his last game at Old Trafford. 0-0 but he so nearly scored. He would have stayed if his wife had not just given birth and wanted to go home.

Then so very proud when he went on to lift both UEFA and Champions League trophies.
    (Will gloss over the World Cup performances!)
  • I love this thread as it combines one of my all time favourite players and one of my all time favourite matches. always makes me happy when I'm reminded of either. the celebrations when that Lisbie header went in were amazing
  • After he left, there was an article in a newspaper about how foreign defenders couldn't cut it in the Premier League. As an example, they referred to Jorge who they said had had 'his arse ripped out' when with us.

I wondered what parallel universe the journalist had just arrived from.
  • He also went on to captain Jose Mourinho's Porto to league titles, the UEFA Cup and Champion's League.
  • the early 2000s were very good in terms of results against Chelsea (and in general)

We had some good days at White Hart Lane in that period to.
  • Worth a look at....currently managing at Tours in Ligue 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Costa
  • We beat Chelsea four times in a row over that period. Jorge Costa was immense that game. Best centre half I've seen play for Charlton.

Seen some really great centre halves over the years but have to say he was the best.....his positional sense was second to none and he knew all the short cuts too. I never saw anyone out play him, he never had anything but an impressive game and more often than not was more than impressive, as in superb!
    I feel highly privileged to have seen him in an Addicks shirt.

Loved Brownie....but a combination of Jorge and Rufus would be my ideal choice of centre back pairings in the 'modern' era at Charlton.

Seen some really great centre halves over the years but have to say he was the best.....his positional sense was second to none and he knew all the short cuts too. I never saw anyone out play him, he never had anything but an impressive game and more often than not was more than impressive, as in superb!
    I feel highly privileged to have seen him in an Addicks shirt.

Loved Brownie....but a combination of Jorge and Rufus would be my ideal choice of centre back pairings in the 'modern' era at Charlton.
    Agreed.
  • It was the way that, if being out paced, he could fall over and drag down the opposition without giving away a free kick that was so special about him. Brilliant player