Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sitcoms

1234568»

Comments

• Quite like Stephen Mangan and was looking forward to watching his new comedy Bliss. I somehow lurched as far as episode two where my cringeometer finally went off scale. When it comes to Bliss, ignorance is surely the best thing.
  • Hold The Sunset - the latest "offering" from BBC.

I watched the first episode, primarily because of the stalwarts in the cast list. Utterly without humour but give stuff a chance, right? It might grow on you. Watched the second episode last night, even worse. The really peculiar bit is the appearance from Peter Egan in short and seemingly unconnected dog walking scenes. The ancient Labrador is the only one that doesn't put in a faintly embarrassed, stilted performance. But that might be because he doesn't have a speaking role.

Titter ye not Frankie Howerd said and I didn't. Tired formulaic dross.
  • Quite like Stephen Mangan and was looking forward to watching his new comedy Bliss. I somehow lurched as far as episode two where my cringeometer finally went off scale. When it comes to Bliss, ignorance is surely the best thing.

You feel the same as me, so much stuff that goes on Sky Atlantic and Sky one looks the absolute business from the trailers and promos yet is absolutely unsubstantiated crap, with the cast they have got I expected a lot more. Stephen Mangan is brilliant as always but this is flat
  • edited February 2018
    cafcfan said:

Hold The Sunset - the latest "offering" from BBC.

I watched the first episode, primarily because of the stalwarts in the cast list. Utterly without humour but give stuff a chance, right? It might grow on you. Watched the second episode last night, even worse. The really peculiar bit is the appearance from Peter Egan in short and seemingly unconnected dog walking scenes. The ancient Labrador is the only one that doesn't put in a faintly embarrassed, stilted performance. But that might be because he doesn't have a speaking role.

At least the Beeb are trying. ITV has Benidorm (11 years old), Birds of a Feather (formerly a BBC show) and has commissioned a second series of Bad Move. That's about it.
  • cafcfan said:

I heard John Cleese talking about this before it was aired. He was asked why he hadn't done a sitcom for almost 40 years. Well, he said, I found it impossible to find anything as good as Fawlty Towers, until I got sent this script. I didn't believe him then and having seen it I still don't. We all know why the silly old fool is doing this crap.
  • edited February 2018

• cafcfan said:

At least the Beeb are trying. ITV has Benidorm (11 years old), Birds of a Feather (formerly a BBC show) and has commissioned a second series of Bad Move. That's about it.
    In fairness, I just remembered the excellent "Plebs" on ITV2...

• cafcfan said:

In fairness, I just remembered the excellent "Plebs" on ITV2...
    Yeah, they are trying. It's just as if they've lost the will to take a risk on anything a bit edgy the way they have in the past. Normally, you'd have put money on Derry Girls being a Beeb production but then just imagine the committee meeting deciding they didn't want to upset anybody.

So, you end up with, and I kid you not, custard-pie throwing in Hold The Sunset. (Except, on the basis we might have thought that was a bit old hat, they used a birthday cake instead. Guess what, it hit the wrong target.....)
  • Watched the first two episodes of bliss and think the issue is simply that Stephen Mangan’s character is unlikeable. The setup is okay but the lead has no redeeming features, he is well acted but the show is not sure whether it is a farce or a drama (I know it is badges as comedy drama) and fails at both.

As for hold the sunset, it is a pretty traditional sitcom, I chuckled at the first episode occasionally and same with the second, I will give it a chance as the characters bed and see if it improves.
  • Not a very popular 1 but I always liked My Hero

Also havent seen My Family mentioned which was funny
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2018
    Max and Paddy's road to nowhere was funny as well.

1 of those theme tunes you will always remember aswell
  • This Country has been a good watch - mockumentary about the lives of youngsters in the West country. Very funny dialogue and good cast.
  • Derry Girls ..... genuinely funny , well written , sweary, great 80/s cultural references
  • Max and Paddy's road to nowhere was funny as well.

What was it?
  • Riviera said:

Max and Paddy's road to nowhere was funny as well.

What was it?
    https://youtu.be/E9aq3pcmkk0
  • This Country has been a good watch - mockumentary about the lives of youngsters in the West country. Very funny dialogue and good cast.

New series out on BBC - just as good as previous series. Some great characters...