Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lucky the Charlton Cat (1968)

Was just going through google looking at old pictures of The Valley and came across this:

Cat "Lucky" with football at the Valley, home ground of Charlton Athletic football club. This puss was adopted by Charlton and christened Lucky after straying into the Valley

Cat "Lucky" with football at the Valley, home ground of Charlton Athletic football club. This puss was adopted by Charlton and christened Lucky after straying into the Valley in August 1968. Charlton did not lose another match until the end of September and went on to finish third in the second division, the highest for 11 years. Lucky rubbed off in the FA Cup as well. Lucky's last significant act was to relieve himself on the pitch during a league match against Derby. Ronnie Moore went on to score the only goal of the game in the 84th minute. September 1968.

Source: http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-cat-lucky-with-football-at-the-valley-home-ground-of-charlton-athletic-83595060.html

I didn't know that The Valley had an official cat, I'd never heard of Lucky before.

Was wondering if anyone on CL had any stories/information relating to Lucky?

Comments

• Surely not Ronnie Moore, they mean Graham "Tank" Moore!
  • I vaguely remember a cat when I started going. Had forgotten about it until I saw this. He would be called Unlucky now
  • Also, the Derby game was in January 1969, scorers were Tees and Tracey.
  • I remember the cat but never having met him, I have no stories :wink:
  • I seem to remember he passed away in the early 80’s. There was an article in the programme about him making an appearance pitchside in the last game before he died.
  • I remember Lucky used to go under the old west stand looking for mice
  • I remember seeing a black cat at the Valley in the 70s.
  • Sponsored links:

• I used to work at the Valley on game days and during school holidays, and Lucky was around then.
  • Think he lived at The Valley Club. Was taken in by the manager and was always seen in there at weekends
  • I do remember it but had forgotten perhaps we need another one?
  • seth plum said:

The Football League Review, which was an insert in all programmes, had a front page picture of Lucky.
    I have vague memories that Lucky would watch games from near the old players tunnel.

This.
  • Didn"t they find the expired Lucky in the pressbox. I think I was even told that he had been placed in one of those drop down units under the desks. That would have made someone jump.
  • We need a Lucky mk II!
  • There was definitely a black cat skulking around the Main Stand side in the early 80s. 
  • There was definitely a black cat called Lucky when I was helping out from 1972-1975 
  • Sponsored links:

• Lucky featured on the front cover of the legendary 'Football League Review'.
    A legend for all time.
    I think he reportedly had a long and happy life at the Valley, used to watch from the top of the old dug outs, and legend has it he jumped down and did some doings just outside the touchline minutes before he (she?) went to the great scratching post in the ever after.
  • Came into The Valley when we lost to Millwall 3-4 first game of season and stayed for LIFE.

Footnote......in the goalmouths was written Millwall which also stayed for most of that season.

Anyone remember that.
  • edited August 2020
    I recall stroking Lucky on a visit to the Valley in my youth. It was an honour. Harvey the mascot should have been named Lucky as a tribute.
  • Think he lived at The Valley Club. Was taken in by the manager and was always seen in there at weekends
    He was indeed. Ray Donn used to allow him in to the Valley Club. My Grandfather worked at the ground at weekends and my Dad worked in the Valley Club and I met Lucky several times.
  • edited August 2020
    I was under the impression, but could be wrong, that he was looked after by Maurice Banham (the then groundsman). I recall reading an article to that effect but time plays tricks. Maybe a life size statue of Lucky would be nice, Looking at the pitch in front of Covered End. Might represent an upturn in our luck!
  • My Grandfather used to feed lucky at the weekend too. I just think that Lucky would befriend anyone that fed him.
  • Get him stuffed for the museum....