Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Percy Dalton’s

Probably no interest whatsoever but those of the tanner a bag brigade may have...BBC website has some photos - headed ‘Unseen photos of East End London in glorious colour’. First one is Percy Dalton’s Brushfield Street, 1970.

Comments

• Very good they are too.
  • Very good they are too.

very nice pics
  • Me to, fantastic photographs.
  • My mum worked at Percy Daltons, great pitchure of tower blocks in Stepney Green lived there.
    All knocked down now.
  • Cannot beat a peanut. 40,000 squirrels in Greenwich Park cannot be wrong!
  • Wow! Whitechapel Road hasn't changed a bit has it............
  • The last picture on that the link, the house next door demolished and the wallpaper flapping in the wind, I remember seeing this scene all over London when I was growing up in the 70s
  • Wow great photos
  • Sponsored links:

• The last picture on that the link, the house next door demolished and the wallpaper flapping in the wind, I remember seeing this scene all over London when I was growing up in the 70s

Creepy, that's a strange comment.
    All over London....no way!
  • edited February 2018

The last picture on that the link, the house next door demolished and the wallpaper flapping in the wind, I remember seeing this scene all over London when I was growing up in the 70s

Likewise - during the 60s and 70s there were bomb sites everywhere in Woolwich and Plumstead and I assume that was replicated across London. I remember one in particular opposite my primary school in Plumstead (mid 60s) where there was one house untouched and the terraced house next to it just a pile of rubble.
  • bobmunro said:

The last picture on that the link, the house next door demolished and the wallpaper flapping in the wind, I remember seeing this scene all over London when I was growing up in the 70s

Likewise - during the 60s and 70s there were bomb sites everywhere in Woolwich and Plumstead and I assume that was replicated across London. I remember one in particular opposite my primary school in Plumstead (mid 60s) where there was one house untouched and the terraced house next to it just a pile of rubble.
    There were also whole streets being demolished in poorer areas to make way for estates of flats; the way forward for solving the housing problem, until Ronan Point I guess...

Creepy, that's a strange comment.
    All over London....no way!
    I was young! I do remember seeing things like this a lot though especially around Greenwich, Deptford, Hither Green, Downham, Woolwich, Catford, Lewisham, mostly South London I admit but in my day that was all over London!
  • edited February 2018
    Mmmmm......there weren’t that many bombed out houses left in the 70’s.......that was in the 50’s and early to mid 60’s.......that’s why I asked the question.
  • edited February 2018

Mmmmm......there weren’t that many bombed out houses left in the 70’s.......that was in the 50’s and early to mid 60’s.......that’s why I asked the question.

There were still bomb sites around and about, probably into the 80s, some around the City (or what was traditionally the City but now fully built up), were still being used as car parks for instance. It was probably only the initial boom in property prices at the end of the 70s that made developers take a second look at those sites.

Forgot to add, Big Bang (no not a bomb for you younger ones) also probably meant there was more demand and money around in the 80s to develop those sites.
  • If you love old pictures of London you should check out Rob Baker’s Twitter account .
    I’ve spent hours looking at the pictures he posts.

Spent a good chunk of last night looking through those, thanks.

His blog, Another Nickel in the Machine is an excellent read as well.
  • One thing stands out in these photos lack of yellow lines on the roads, happy days....
  • One thing stands out in these photos lack of yellow lines on the roads, happy days....

And how few cars there are (and how small they are) which may be related.
  • Great photos. I really want to know why all those blokes are standing around in Whitechapel Road. I thought it might've been a road accident but they seem too disinterested for that.
  • Sponsored links:

• hawksmoor said:

Great photos. I really want to know why all those blokes are standing around in Whitechapel Road. I thought it might've been a road accident but they seem too disinterested for that.

Waiting for news of the takeover? :smiley:

• The George Tavern on commercial road is still alive and kicking. looks the same as it always did. apart from the double diamond sign at the top. think they got rid of that during the refurb a couple of years back.

• hawksmoor said:

Great photos. I really want to know why all those blokes are standing around in Whitechapel Road. I thought it might've been a road accident but they seem too disinterested for that.

Purely as a guess, as it’s all men, discussing a bit of business most likely, that or passing the time of day, probably a bit of both. The whole district would have been a predominately Jewish area at that time - there is still some evidence of that today though not much and Bangladeshi’s seem to be the dominant group, particularly around Brick Lane but even they are being displaced now. The group in the photo are standing outside a jewellers so that could be why they are on that particular spot.
  • If you love old pictures of London you should check out Rob Baker’s Twitter account .
    I’ve spent hours looking at the pictures he posts.

Spent a good chunk of last night looking through those, thanks.

His blog, Another Nickel in the Machine is an excellent read as well.
    Nice to see that the glorious Austin Healey still has a current MOT.