Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lease Extension

Hi All

Any solicitors on here who can deal with a lease extension, or any recommendations? Property is in Kent

Thanks

Comments

• I used a firm from over Essex way when I sold my leasehold property in Gravesend mate. Although they didn't specifically deal with a lease extension, at 64 years it was very short and they dealt with all the questions posed by the buyer's conveyancer regarding the lease with no problem at all. They were on point with passing on questions to me, updates and replies to my emails an all. I couldn't recommend them highly enough.

I'll dig their name out in a bit for you just in case you want to give them a bell.
  • I used a firm from over Essex way when I sold my leasehold property in Gravesend mate. Although they didn't specifically deal with a lease extension, at 64 years it was very short and they dealt with all the questions posed by the buyer's conveyancer regarding the lease with no problem at all. They were on point with passing on questions to me, updates and replies to my emails an all. I couldn't recommend them highly enough.

I'll dig their name out in a bit for you just in case you want to give them a bell.

Thanks mate, would be helpful
  • I've been using Grant Saw Solicitors in Greenwich with a current commercial lease. Lady called Hillary, she's been very helpful and friendly.
  • PopIcon said:

I've been using Grant Saw Solicitors in Greenwich with a current commercial lease. Lady called Hillary, she's been very helpful and friendly.

Thanks' I'll check them out
  • I used these guys in Bromley......

https://www.marsons.co.uk

They were very good. My contact was Carly Johnson.
  • I used these guys in Bromley......

https://www.marsons.co.uk

They were very good. My contact was Carly Johnson.

Thanks mate
  • If you don't use mine and use Suede's instead, don't ever talk to me again.....

;)
  • If you don't use mine and use Suede's instead, don't ever talk to me again.....

;)

Lol - either way i am expecting to have my pants pulled down with the amount I've got to shell out
  • cafcbrown said:

If you don't use mine and use Suede's instead, don't ever talk to me again.....

;)

Lol - either way i am expecting to have my pants pulled down with the amount I've got to shell out
    Plamers took over my sale half way through because the original solicitor couldn't cope with the complexities of it. His original quote was just over £2k which he didn't get a penny of, and because he had already done the majority of the work, Palmers only quoted me £700 and the original bloke even dx'd my part completed file to them for me. Turned out alright in the end
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcbrown said:

;)

Plamers took over my sale half way through because the original solicitor couldn't cope with the complexities of it. His original quote was just over £2k which he didn't get a penny of, and because he had already done the majority of the work, Palmers only quoted me £700 and the original bloke even dx'd my part completed file to them for me. Turned out alright in the end
    At the moment I'm just putting in an offer to the freeholder, so still at an early stage

I'm hoping I can agree a price without the need for a tribunal which should keep the legal costs down
  • edited February 2018
    I'm not a lawyer so don't shoot me down in flames too much if some of the details /terminology is wrong.

However I believe I'm correct in saying that if more than 50% of leaseholders wish to then they have the right to purchase the freehold from the freeholder.

I have absolutely no idea whether or not a share in a communal freehold would cost more or less than a lease extension but it might be a route worth investigating as presumably your lease will not be the only one running down.

EDIT: Martin Lewis probably explains it better:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/buy-freehold-right-to-manage
  • cafcbrown said:

cafcbrown said:

;)

At the moment I'm just putting in an offer to the freeholder, so still at an early stage

I'm hoping I can agree a price without the need for a tribunal which should keep the legal costs down
    I would've had to go that route if my sale fell through. I think there's some new legislation regarding freeholders not taking the piss when selling the lease to the leaseholder/s.

Good luck mate
  • cafcbrown said:

PopIcon said:

I've been using Grant Saw Solicitors in Greenwich with a current commercial lease. Lady called Hillary, she's been very helpful and friendly.

Thanks' I'll check them out
    My girlfriend just used them... She's the freeholder, had to pay for a surveyor, solicitor called Deborah said she'd get the money back as it's the leaseholder's responsibility.... Only ended up getting a portion of it despite the solicitor having a much larger deposit from leaseholder. We will be complaining and going through the ombudsman, so personally wouldn't recommend them.