Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Generation Fat(ter)

'A worrying trend' or 'nothing to worry about, stop picking on millennials as it's their choice to be lardy and their choice to burden the NHS more than any generation before them'?

If the trend continues then these very people run the risk of not seeing the futures that they claim have been ruined/taken away by others. In which case an argument can be made that says they are a bigger threat to their own futures than anything and anyone else.

Comments

• perhaps they should smoke or drink themselves to death instead, that would be ok I assume and not be a burden to the NHS?

• 'A worrying trend' or 'nothing to worry about, stop picking on millennials as it's their choice to be lardy and their choice to burden the NHS more than any generation before them'?

If the trend continues then these very people run the risk of not seeing the futures that they claim have been ruined/taken away by others. In which case an argument can be made that says they are a bigger threat to their own futures than anything and anyone else.

Fattist!
  • bobmunro said:

'A worrying trend' or 'nothing to worry about, stop picking on millennials as it's their choice to be lardy and their choice to burden the NHS more than any generation before them'?

Fattist!
    Nope they're the Fattest and let us all know it's their right to be fat and that it's beautiful to have cholesterol filled arteries and clothes made of old parachutes.
  • EastStand said:

As much as I want to 'lol' this I can't bring myself to do it as it's a very worrying statistic/trend.

As a father of three I'm very mindful to ensure that my kids have a healthy diet and are made aware of the pitfalls of eating badly and out of convenience.
  • perhaps they should smoke or drink themselves to death instead, that would be ok I assume and not be a burden to the NHS?

That's a very weird assumption to make? Why would you assume that it's okay for people to smoke and drink themselves to death?

Do they have to choose one of the three methods mentioned or can they strive to not fall in to any of those scenarios, by living healthier lifestyles?
  • Every generation gets accused of being out of shape by the one that proceeded them.
  • EastStand said:

As much as I want to 'lol' this I can't bring myself to do it as it's a very worrying statistic/trend.

As a father of three I'm very mindful to ensure that my kids have a healthy diet and are made aware of the pitfalls of eating badly and out of convenience.
    Agreed - every parent should be the same. Not just diet though - it's lifestyle also, which is why my two boys were encouraged to play sport throughout their formative years. It worked and I've seen more fat on a chip than on my two.
  • Sponsored links:

• sralan said:

It's the less well off that are affected. Having to eat the cheap crap at Farmfoods etc. No nutritional positives, just fills them up. 24 burgers for £1, just makes you wonder what the hell is in them. Not sure about the price but you get my meaning I hope.

The inability to cook (I assume) contributes as well. Fresh produce isn't that expensive.

I cooked dinner for 5 yesterday for a total cost of under £3. It's doable if you want to.
  • One generation moans about the other 'shock' but your statement make fuck all sense. The 'youth' of today takes for more care of themselves than my generation or the one before it did.

• shine166 said:

One generation moans about the other 'shock' but your statement make fuck all sense. The 'youth' of today takes for more care of themselves than my generation or the one before it did.

The BBC article suggests otherwise.
  • sralan said:

It's the less well off that are affected. Having to eat the cheap crap at Farmfoods etc. No nutritional positives, just fills them up. 24 burgers for £1, just makes you wonder what the hell is in them. Not sure about the price but you get my meaning I hope.

The inability to cook (I assume) contributes as well. Fresh produce isn't that expensive.

I cooked dinner for 5 yesterday for a total cost of under £3. It's doable if you want to.
    What did you cook?

• edited February 2018
    I must admit that it did strike me during the warmer months that it is noticeable around the City how comparatively few fat people there are around here these days and that those who were a little on the chubby side did tend to be a bit older, or perhaps they looked older because of their weight.
  • Curb_It said:

sralan said:

What did you cook?

A very healthy ragu with pasta.
  • I must admit that it did strike me during the warmer months that it is noticeable around the City how comparatively few fat people there are around here these days and that those who were a little on the chubby side did tend to be a bit older, or perhaps they looked older because of their weight.

People in central London do seem to be overrepresented by younger fitter types. Having moved to the south coast a couple of years ago it's one of the things I notice whenever I come back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Curb_It said:

sralan said:

What did you cook?

Ragu is a meat based sauce; by healthy, do you mean vegetarian? If not, I cant imagine you made it for five for under £3. Even a veggie option would have been stetching it.
  • Redskin said:

Curb_It said:

sralan said:

What did you cook?

Ragu is a meat based sauce; by healthy, do you mean vegetarian? If not, I cant imagine you made it for five for under £3. Even a veggie option would have been stetching it.
    I would have guessed a vegetarian one too. But at Aldi/Lidl prices definitely achievable for 3 quid. You can get two tins of tomatoes for 50p, the veg (mushrooms/celery/carrots/onion etc) for another quid, quid fifty. Pasta a bag for a quid. I imagine things like oil and seasoning (and maybe a stock cube) are already in the house.
  • Redskin said:

Curb_It said:

sralan said:

What did you cook?

It was vegetable based, yes. It came in at £2.74 by my calculations. It can be done for under a fiver with meat.

Portion control is paramount.
  • The gym culture is bigger than it ever has been in this country which is good because manual jobs are on the decline so the younglings are getting their exercise in as well as not getting in my way at work

Weirdly though I think organised and team sports are declining. Hardly any Sunday league sides compared to when I was playing yet thousands more five a sides. In my opinion this is due to facilities or the lack of on a Sunday and Saturday compared to what you get at playfootball or goals
  • Generation XXL
  • Fiiish said:

Redskin said:

Curb_It said:

sralan said:

What did you cook?

I would have guessed a vegetarian one too. But at Aldi/Lidl prices definitely achievable for 3 quid. You can get two tins of tomatoes for 50p, the veg (mushrooms/celery/carrots/onion etc) for another quid, quid fifty. Pasta a bag for a quid. I imagine things like oil and seasoning (and maybe a stock cube) are already in the house.
    I'm not pooh-pooing BBW cooking healthy meals for his family, far from it, and I'd imagine it might be possible if shopping at Aldi/Lidl.
    More power to him.
  • I'm not convinced that all gym culture is good. For those that do it sensibly, it's billiant. But there are too many who are pumping themselves full of powdered concoctions and doing mental exercise plans in the search for a particular bodyshape rather than exercising for good health. There are also a high number of obsessives who are wrecking their joints by overdoing repetitive exercises like pavement pounding.
  • sralan said:

I agree BBW but it's a question of if they want to and they have to go to the shops to get the ingredients and then have to prepare and cook the food, much easier to click an app and order a banquet of food.

• edited February 2018
    takeaways are more acceptable and accessible now, i'm quite traditional as in a chippy tea on a Friday and an occasional takeaway on a Saturday night if indoors or a dirty Donner on the way home from the pub.

my big let down is the liquid diet i keep i actually drink more in the winter months than the summer due to football.

i wouldn't call myself fat but i've got a derby on me.

batch cooking is the way forward imo