Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best WW1 movies

https://m.ranker.com/list/all-world-war-1-movies-or-list-of-world-war-i-movies/all-genre-movies-lists

Following on from A Bridge too far thread..

Not really enough of these. Blue max
Spring to mind tho

Comments

• I remember a BBC series was it called Wings?
  • Journey’s End that was released recently is excellent. Seems to have been a very limited release though.
  • The Cockleshell Heroes
  • Oops, that was WW2, sorry
  • African Queen is a good one off that list
  • Honourable mentions for Paths of Glory and Lawrence of Arabia.
  • Paths of Glory, King and Country, Gallipoli, A Farewell to Arms

There are quite a few but clearly not as many made compared to WW2.
  • razil said:

I remember a BBC series was it called Wings?

Used to love Wings as a kid, don’t think I’ve ever seen it repeated.
  • razil said:

I remember a BBC series was it called Wings?

Used to love Wings as a kid, don’t think I’ve ever seen it repeated.
    I bought it on dvd a few years ago. It still stands up surprisingly well today despite being made for 70s tv
  • Sponsored links:

• Ok, its not a film, but i alway thought it was one of the great pieces of Tv which depicted the First World War, the very last episode of Blackadder goes forth (i think) were they go over the top. In my opinion absolutely brilliant piece of acting / film making, surprised I’m writing this is as i was never a great fan of Blackadder.
  • Paths of Glory and All Quiet on the Western Front for me.

Warhorse is good as at stage production but I didn't like the film .
  • Can see why people like Black Adder goes Fourth, but I didn’t really take to it in a Black Adder sense. It does stand on its own though, perhaps because of the WW1 theme.
  • Razil to be fair i was referring to basically the last 5 minutes or so of the final episode, as i said i was not a Blackadder fan or Evan a foes forth fan, to me it was to similar to “oh what a lovely war” for those old enough to remember that film.
  • Oh, what a lovely war

Much derided now by revisionist historians and to a degree that is justified but it is a stunning film and the imagery fantastic.

It also showpieces lots of the soldiers song I use to hear as a kid.

Lawrence of Arabia is just brilliant.

Paths of Glory

• The Lighthorsemen is a great one covering the Australians in the Middle East I think, whilst the Lost Battalion is quite good about an American Battalion.

The Red Baron (German film in English) isnt bad, same with Flyboys (with James Franco) yet is a bit exagerated
  • Passchendaele Made in 2008 was a reasonable film, but all quiet on the Western Front is the best by far.
  • Life and times of Colonel Blimp
  • Life and times of Colonel Blimp

“War starts at midnight!” A wonderful film.
  • Sponsored links:

• Talking Pictures, if you haven't discovered it yet, is a treasure trove of old and obscure movies. Freeview too.

Some dross but some classics too.
  • Anzac was a great miniseries staring Paul Hogan. Unfortunately, like all miniseries it got cut into a film length version which although was good, it wasn't anywhere near the quality of the full length version
  • edited February 2018
    Some real stinkers over the years, a number are cinematic triumphs like 'Oh what a lovely war' or Peter Weir's 'Gallipoli' but utterly appalling history.

'Journey's End' by RC Sherriff (though I haven't seen the latest version), was regarded by the veterans as the most reallistic Great War production.

Also very much of its time but worth a watch as it includes a cameo from Sir Ian Hamilton at the beginning is:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=p4NabsSKzgk

Forgotten Men 1934

'The Trench' from a few years back was pretty good (Daniel Craig played a gruff Sergeant), save the final scene where the makers couldn't resist everyone being killed to classical music.

Truth is there are a dearth of Great War movies that make the grade and now we are often offered up stereotypic rubbish like 'War Horse' or 'Passchendaele', they may have certain artistic appeal but the history is shocking.

• It doesnt help the type of war that WW1 was when you compare it to WW2 and other conflicts.

Majority of time would be spent in trenches waiting for the next big push, with months going by with very little action in some sectors - A historic film that covers that would be extremely boring to watch.

Same with Video Games, I'd love to see more WW1 type games as they can be a great source to teach history yet other than Battlefield 1 and Verdun, there arent really many to choose from for that same reason.
  • We should also mention the epic:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=eTo4BQXKGCY

The Battle of The Somme, seen by half the UK population in 1916, it was the biggest movie of all time at that stage and the work of Geoffrey Malins has certainly stood the test of time a century on.

Few films have also been awarded World Heritage status.
  • All quiet on the water front
    Paths of glory
    Lawrence
    Wings (on you tube)
  • I like a war film, but haven't seen a ww1 film that I've enjoyed.

Think I'm going to start again by watching some of these recommendations.
  • PopIcon said:

I like a war film, but haven't seen a ww1 film that I've enjoyed.

Think I'm going to start again by watching some of these recommendations.

Make sure you watch the original All Quiet on the Western Front the remake is not a bad film but not as good as the Original.
  • Random Harvest is a post-WW1 movie and one of my mum's favourites.
  • Random Harvest is a post-WW1 movie and one of my mum's favourites.

It was one of my dear mum's favourites too - she loved Ronald Coleman.