Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So Arsene Wenger could become...

Comments

• TelMc32 said:

Gary Neville certainly not sitting on the fence about how shite Arsenal are! :smiley:

Yeah because he was such a success as a manager himself
  • TelMc32 said:

Gary Neville certainly not sitting on the fence about how shite Arsenal are! :smiley:

I can’t tell if Neville is worse as a manager or a property developer
  • TelMc32 said:

He has really stuck the knife in with some comments.
  • 1StevieG said:

TelMc32 said:

But is he wrong? Big game after big game his players go missing. They simply do not know how to earn the right to play.
  • 1StevieG said:

TelMc32 said:

Considering his own managerial track record I think he has been a bit disrespectful. Although he is right, that was a woeful Arsenal performance, and it was good commentary to point out how the central Arsenal midfielders were walking when City had the ball.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    As you beat palace today I've given you a like.
    Well done mate
  • TelMc32 said:

I was drifting in and out of the game but thought Neville was digging out the players rather than the manager, was that not the case?
  • TelMc32 said:

I was drifting in and out of the game but thought Neville was digging out the players rather than the manager, was that not the case?
    Yes, mainly mustafi for the first goal and Xhaka and Ozil for their entire game
  • edited February 2018
    Imprisoned in north korea aslong as its far away that he is no longer arsenal manager
  • Sponsored links:

• Neville is right with his comments, not sure why he needs to have been a managerial success to give an opinion.

I would be annoyed if I was an Arsenal fan, sure they still have it great compared to many clubs up and down the country but even their purist fans who seem to value "nice" football over more success must be sick of seeing them have such spineless performances in big games like that.
  • What a lovely chap Baz is.
  • I didn't like the camera showing that boy. Inevitable that it would get a lot of comment and become a social media 'thing'.

On reflection, I probably would have laughed if it was Palace. I'm a bad person.
  • 1StevieG said:

What a lovely chap Baz is.

Isn't that a weird parody account?
  • Any other opposition, I would have loved City to get beat today but obviously a little different as it was ‘them’...but viewing the game as a neutral!

I don’t even think Man City were that good today. It’s the same old same old with Arsenal. Jesus, the days when they had beasts of centre backs - Keown, Bould, Adams, Campbell, bloody hell Mustafi on that first goal today. Can you imagine them 4 defending like that?

They paid £30 odd million for Xhaka. Absolutely bloody awful. Ramsay, possibly carrying a knock but almost anonymous.

Where was the pressing?! You’re in a cup final for crying out loud, run your b*ll*cks off. It was almost paedestrian. Fair play to Jack Wilshire, looked like he was the only one that cared.

Can you ever remember an Arsenal performance so abject as that?

For the sake of Arsenal, Wenger needs to go. But who the hell do they replace him with?!

I actually feel sorry for the old bastard now. He done a lot of good for English football but he should have gone after the cup final last season. For what he done for that club, he deserved a fitting send off and that would have been it. It’s going to be ridiculed now. Sad.

No winding up the family Gooners tonight ;)
  • cfgs said:

1StevieG said:

Yes
  • Scoham said:

cfgs said:

1StevieG said:

Yes
    Hoped so as his tweets would be beyond mental otherwise.
  • edited February 2018
    Fergie went out at the top
    Curbs went out with Charlton in a still healthy PL position of 13th, 13 points clear of relegation

Wenger by contrast has clearly stayed too long, the extra 2 years seemed an odd decision last summer, and now seems even more of a mistake
  • Sponsored links:

• Arsenal fan tv from the game is off the scale. DT's video has had over 450k views already!
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Any other opposition, I would have loved City to get beat today but obviously a little different as it was ‘them’...but viewing the game as a neutral!

I don’t even think Man City were that good today. It’s the same old same old with Arsenal. Jesus, the days when they had beasts of centre backs - Keown, Bould, Adams, Campbell, bloody hell Mustafi on that first goal today. Can you imagine them 4 defending like that?

They paid £30 odd million for Xhaka. Absolutely bloody awful. Ramsay, possibly carrying a knock but almost anonymous.

Where was the pressing?! You’re in a cup final for crying out loud, run your b*ll*cks off. It was almost paedestrian. Fair play to Jack Wilshire, looked like he was the only one that cared.

Can you ever remember an Arsenal performance so abject as that?

For the sake of Arsenal, Wenger needs to go. But who the hell do they replace him with?!

I actually feel sorry for the old bastard now. He done a lot of good for English football but he should have gone after the cup final last season. For what he done for that club, he deserved a fitting send off and that would have been it. It’s going to be ridiculed now. Sad.

No winding up the family Gooners tonight ;)

Considering you're Spurs John, that's a pretty balanced and nailed on assessment of yesterday and Arsenal in general. Totally with you on that Xhaka character; absolutely woeful! Not just yesterday but since he's been there. As for Wenger? His hold over the club and board is unhealthy and bizarre, all he continues to do is ruin his legacy.

Anyway mate, make hay while the sun shines. :wink:
  • Re. Neville's comments - I ain't his biggest fan and thought it hilarious when he naused his opportunity up, but since when did pundits and commentators need to be successful managers, to be able to criticize others?
  • In the last 14 years Arsenal have won three FA Cups and that's it - in each of those the side have probably only had to perform to their best in two maybe three of their six matches to win it.

That is probably about the rate that they perform at across all comps - which is why they haven't won anything else in that time. Wenger clung onto his CL record but even that has gone now as they won't qualify for the second season on the trot.
  • Doesn't matter who they replace Wenger with if ManC and ManU outspend Arsenal by £100-200M per year in the transfer market.
  • i hate arsenal its more there fans that do it, but in reality would of been funny if they won yesterday, the money that the manchester clubs both have means that it will become normal for them to win most things, yet grass roots football in this country doesn't get a penny, been ruined by the TV companies,really do fear what it will be like in 20 years just look at league 1 how many grounds have a decent crowd, that's nothing to do with protests etc.
  • i hate arsenal its more there fans that do it, but in reality would of been funny if they won yesterday, the money that the manchester clubs both have means that it will become normal for them to win most things, yet grass roots football in this country doesn't get a penny, been ruined by the TV companies,really do fear what it will be like in 20 years just look at league 1 how many grounds have a decent crowd, that's nothing to do with protests etc.

In our capitalist society it seems money is all that matters.
  • I said at the time of Arsenal's acquisition of Carl Jenkinson that however good we thought he was, he wasn't and would not become a Champions League quality defender. And that was what a club like Arsenal should have been looking to buy.

This thread prompted me to look back at Arsenal squads from the recent past. They make quite depressing reading. Already, at the time of the Jenkinson acquisition Arsenal had only a few quality players. Van Persie, Song, a few half decent players and vast quantities of names I struggled to remember. Now it is even worse.

The likes of Van Persie and latterly Alexis Sanchez have done a sterling job of papering over the cracks in the Arsenal squad. But the current lot? Instantly forgettable and the cracks have got wider.

What sums up Arsenal today is the new contract given to Ozil in January. A shockingly stupid and desperate decision. A new contract? If I'd been Wenger, I'd have got Steve Bould to drive him to Dover and told him to get a ferry back to Germany. He's been stealing a living. A club of the standing of Arsenal, fielding the team they did yesterday, is just laughable.

The big six is now the big five and Arsenal are the best of the rest. They are 27 points behind City: that's a nice round point per game. The fact that it has been a slow, steady decline means that it has been almost imperceptible but, wow, we all know now don't we?

Arsenal need a complete root and branch clear out and a rebuild. Wenger has been a great manager but is now an old man and past it. He should retire and walk away while he still has a modicum of dignity left.