Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A Bridge Too Far - and other WW2 movies

edited February 2018 in Not Sports Related
Watching it this afternoon.

Surprised to read the Dickie Atenbrough epic is very historically accurate in many ways. Exception being Montys role in the disaster which is overlooked in the film. Tiger tanks were mock ups. Very few non Sherman tanks not sure how accurate that is.

Fascinating period in history the war in Europe after d day.

Huge cast too.

Comments

• Yeah cant beat the Battle of Britain and A Bridge too Far as WW2 films... Like to add:

The Longest Day
    Dunkirk (both old and new versions)
    Saving Private Ryan
    Battle of the Bulge
    Enemy at the Gates
    Pearl Harbor

Am sure there are others that exist that I rate just as highly yet am terrible when it comes to remembering things off the top of my head.

In regards to A Bridge too Far though, isnt the film based on the book by Cornelius Ryan which was more of a Non-Fiction account of the battle rather than a Fictional version?
  • The WW2 film that still haunts and disturbs me is The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.
  • Yeah cant beat the Battle of Britain and A Bridge too Far as WW2 films... Like to add:

The Longest Day
    Saving Private Ryan
    Battle of the Bulge
    Enemy at the Gates
    Pearl Harbor

Am sure there are others that exist that I rate just as highly yet am terrible when it comes to remembering things off the top of my head.

In regards to A Bridge too Far though, isnt the film based on the book by Cornelius Ryan which was more of a Non-Fiction account of the battle rather than a Fictional version?

Pearl Harbor is a terrible film. The rest I would agree with you.
  • Enemy at the Gates is excellent.

The Longest Day
    Saving Private Ryan
    Battle of the Bulge
    Enemy at the Gates
    Pearl Harbor

And not forgetting Damnusters of course.

633 Squadron’s not bad either.
  • Tora! Tora! Tora! far better than Pearl Harbour

Bridge too Far an excellent film. Agree with most of the others but I like WWII era films too

I’ll throw ‘Went the Day Well?’ Into the mix
  • edited February 2018
    Good shout for 'went the day well'. Excellent film.
  • Love A bridge too far. Watched it again today. Brilliant film. Never gets old.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2018

Yeah cant beat the Battle of Britain and A Bridge too Far as WW2 films... Like to add:

The Longest Day
    Saving Private Ryan
    Battle of the Bulge
    Enemy at the Gates
    Pearl Harbor

And not forgetting Damnusters of course.

633 Squadron’s not bad either.
    I would add ‘Reach for the Sky’ to my list of favourite WW2 films.

...and of course ‘Bridge on the River Kwai’.
  • Battle of Midway is a good one.
  • Albert RN.
    Was a decent film!
  • Good shout for 'went the day well'. Excellent film.

I watched this on Friday (was working from home). Was very good but then again only to be expected considering Graham Greene wrote it.
  • Watched "Das Boot" a few weeks back as it's always been mentioned as one of the top war films, very good and interesting seeing WW2 from the other side.

The series was far better than the film.
    Scary shit being in a uboat during WW2
  • edited February 2018
    The Pianist
    The Great Escape (Cant believe I forgot it)
    Thin Red Line
    The Big Red One
    Schindlers List

Are others I enjoy watching... the Boy in Striped Pjamas was really good yet refuse to watch it agaib as it had me in pieces by the end (Only film in that category).

What I partly loved about Dunkirk last year was the fact it was just a simple war film, none of this romantic back story about the girl left behind, just the plain fighting that went on. Would love to see more of the old style WW2 films made as the technology available should make them awesome now!!
  • Colditz (film, not tv series)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2018

Good shout for 'went the day well'. Excellent film.

Best WW2 film (home front) imho along with the way ahead(army), way to the stars (RAF) and In Which We Serve (Royal Navy).
  • Can’t believe I forgot that I forgot The Cruel Sea and Albert RN.

Reach for the Sky. Marvellous, marvellous film (and not just because I used to go to what was the tea room in the film and ended up as a nightclub)
  • Das Boot and The Cruel Sea are two of my favourites WWII films
    All Quite On the Western Front, (the original) although WWI. Probably the only book I read when I was at school.
    I prefer films that don’t have the obligatory love interest and don’t over glamorise war. Most of the British war films seem to have include a chirpy cockney from the ranks and toffs as leaders.
    Also I would have in my all time list, Ice Cold in Alex.
  • Just seen that where eagles dare is onnow. Proper Sunday afternoon films.

"Broadsword calling Danny Boy"
  • Das Boot and The Cruel Sea are two of my favourites WWII films
    All Quite On the Western Front, (the original) although WWI. Probably the only book I read when I was at school.
    I prefer films that don’t have the obligatory love interest and don’t over glamorise war. Most of the British war films seem to have include a chirpy cockney from the ranks and toffs as leaders.
    Also I would have in my all time list, Ice Cold in Alex.

I've cold in Alex is a great film but does have love interest.

Best WW1 movies would be a good list

As for any war film Zulu
  • One of the great ww2 films. Even though I’ve got it on DVD, I still watched some of it this afternoon. My favourite ww2 film has to be The Battle of Britain though.

I'm sure you've been Dave, but if not, the Battle of Britain Memorial and Visitor Centre at Capel-Le-Ferne near Folkestone is well worth a visit.

And of course, RAF is 100 years old on April 1st. Proud to have served for 28 years of that.
  • Not WW2 but immediately after, The Tunes of Glory is a brilliant film. Alec Guinness and John Mills are great actors. Tense drama.

The Longest Day
    Saving Private Ryan
    Battle of the Bulge
    Enemy at the Gates
    Pearl Harbor

Pearl Harbor is a terrible film. The rest I would agree with you.
    Tora! Tora! Tora! is a much better film about Pearl Harbor than Pearl Harbor is. Ben Affleck is worse in Pearl Harbor than he was in Armageddon so that shows how bad it is.

The Battle of the Bulge is annoying in that it completely ignores everyone but the Yanks on the allied side.

To say the opening of Saving Private Ryan is visceral is an understatement but then it goes quite mainstream.

Enemy at the Gates and A Bridge Too Far are both a bid stodgy. The latter and The Longest Day are largely historically accurate but TLD is a far better film.

The two Dunkirks are interesting in the way they deal with the same original subject in quite different ways yet neither could be called the near-documentary style that TLD and ABTF are.
  • If you can put up with the adverts and general screwing up with your browser, this is quite an interesting list of the fifty best WW2 films.

https://www.timeout.com/london/film/50-best-world-war-ii-movies

With Escape to Victory at number 49, you have to wonder how bad the film at 50 is.