Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Memorable Brawls

edited February 2018 in General Charlton
Yesterday’s late bundle had the potential to turn into a proper brawl without ever fulfilling it.

What’s the best on-field brawl you can remember involving Charlton?

I can remember Parker and Bowyer sniping at each other throughout a whole game once at The Valley when we ended up winning 4-2 against West Ham but there must be better ones than that?

Photo Kyle Andrews

Comments

• Mackay v Bremner
  • Not a brawl but Garth Crooks cuffed Mart Stuart in a game at Selhurst (Luton I think)
  • Clb74 and elfsborg Northampton away
  • The Italian friendly presentation season was decent around 2000
  • Wasn't there a brawl after the Steve Brown red card Vs Leicester? Remember all the catalogues ending up on the pitch and Ian Walker reading one.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2018
    Duncan Disorderly and The Herminator - no need for a points decision in that one.
  • Andy Todd hitting Collymore a few times was impressive.
  • At home to Bradford around 98-00.
    Sunday match.
  • Leaburn v Chelsea 1988. Not a brawl as such, but would have been if he hadn't been stopped by a couple of his own team mates.

Lloyd Sam at Hull.

Must have been others but can't think of any atm.
  • At home to Bradford around 98-00.
    Sunday match.

This. There were at least a couple, and we won 4-1. Classic match.
  • edited February 2018
    Boxing Day 1959 in the 80 minute Dartford v Northfleet all 22 players sent off, takes some beating, report from the Southern league. Think I might have been there, I was only 6 hence the fuzzy memory.

That ref was right

Alf Sturgeon, the referee who sent off all twenty-two players in the Southern League match between Dartford and Gravesend on Boxing
    Day, has been vindicated. An F A Disciplinary Committee, meeting in London yesterday, upheld him. But they will not take action against the players.

The Daily Express reported that the teams had been warned of their conduct on Christmas day so it looks like it boiled over from the previous day.
  • I was at the Charity Shield game between Liverpool and Leeds when Keegan and Bremner had a "set to" and got sent off. The most remarkable thing about that was that Johnny Giles had earlier landed a right hook on Keegan and knocled him down for which he was........booked. How times have changed!
  • Sponsored links:

• Against Hull
  • I thought it was a joke their keeper wasn’t booked, done the exact same thing as Magennis but came off worse.
  • edited February 2018
    The famous one in the 1990 was the "21 man brawl" between Utd and Arsenal. Who didn't get involved? Was it Lukic?
  • The best one I ever witnessed was in Tonbridge Park. The linesman was clearly part of the home team and flagged offside when the away centre forward ran clear but was onside by 5, maybe 10, yards at a guess. The referee duly gave the free kick for offside. The disgruntled centre forward mouthed off at the cheating linesman. The linesman gave him a w****r sign and then gave him the come on sign for a fight. The centre forward duly obliged and punched the linesman. With that, the rest of his team stopped playing and rushed across and mass brawl ensued. The referee sent off the centre forward, took the flag from the cheating linesman and sent off two others. I am sure he called an early half time and came across and asked me (I was walking the dogs) what happened as he didn't see much of it. At half time, he sent the linesman home, although he was at pains to say that he wouldn't implicate me the decision. The manager of the cheating team then went into the longest tirade I have ever heard which consisted mainly of about 3 different words, one of which was lino and the other two will be left to your imagination.
  • Bowyer v Dyer both Newcastle.

Keegan v Bremner 1974 Charity Shield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej81zIkM9uY
  • The second leg at Leeds was a no holds barred battle, the game at St Andrews was relatively peaceful in comparison, although to a neutral observer it probably looked like all out war.
  • The most surprising one I saw was on the fields at Charlton Park Lane when a match had to be abandoned around the 80th minute, from memory, between 2 church teams.
    Onward Christian soldiers indeed...
  • 99/00 season, early on, home against Bolton. Graham Stuart vs Andy Todd. We signed Todd later that season which I remember being unhappy about.