Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC 0 SHREWS 2 - 24/02/2018 POST MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Right, sobered up now and in the cold light of day it’s easier to explain yesterday’s game.
    We went at them for 5 minutes, looked good and then Shrewsbury changed their tactics and nullified ours. We had 2 good chances to take a lead and maybe give the opponents something to different to do and maybe keep the game open. We failed as per normal against better teams. While the Shews were able to adapt and change, we were either incapable or lacked the nous to do so. I suspect both. Their first goal, they happen, fair enough but the second, awful defending from a corner.
    We were never coming back from 2 down against a team that doesn’t let you settle or keep the ball for more than 4 passes.
    New ownership will happen eventually, it always does. More worrying to me, with about 1000 Shrewsbury fans there yesterday, there was a lot of potential Charlton supporters there. I’ve been going for years, it’s what I do, but how many of the extras thought that shower of shite is worth a full price ticket each week?
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:

How good is that omar beckles?

Well he's got a proper northern name for a start!
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:

Looked like a CB playing out of position - and doing it very well. Their own Sarr, perhaps
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:

Spent almost his entire career in non league until Accrington signed him 18 months ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Beckles
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Players' size and athleticism is part of what makes them effective on the pitch. I think some here are over emphasising the technical ability of a few of our players when comparing our squads. Yes, we may have some gifted players, but Shrewsbury's players are generally stronger and possibly more experienced than ours. And it showed yesterday. I'd agree that they looked better organised than us, and that's down to the way they set up, but they also made far fewer individual mistakes than we did, and hung on to the ball better than we did.

It's not just down to Robinson, it's down to the disfunctionality of the club under Duchatelêt. If new owners come in with a plan I'd be happy enough for Robinson to get a chance with some real investment behind him (remember how little he's had to spend on players), but if they wanted to bring in someone better, then who would argue against that.

We really need Mavididi back, Kaikai doesn't look like a Premier League or Championship player, Fosu needs to start, and we still really lack an athletic midfield general type player. You don't have a top three squad if you don't have one of those imho.

Also, why the hell wasn't Bauer playing?

Agree with the first para’ entirely. What yesterday illustrated is that we haven’t got the balance between physicality and skilful players right. As soon as Shrewsbury walked on the pitch you knew they would score from a set piece. You can’t play Dasilva, Solly, Kaikai and Marshall in the same side and expect to compete physically and as we draw to the end of the season it’s clear that we can’t make up for it with our flair players. We haven’t looked in control of a game like they did yesterday all season. We need to start playing players who may not be technically as good but do have the physicality and not play more than 2 of the shorter players at any one time. Robinson has been in this division long enough to know it’s a physical league.
    You can't compete with teams like Shrewsbury - you can with others
  • Options
    we lose, Millwall win, England lose Rugby, England lose Cricket - put your house on Palace to bear Spurs ...
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Men against boys today. Hardly surprising after four years of Duchatelet - what do we expect?

I took my Polish neighbours to the match (they've only ever been to four matches between them before). After ten minutes they said, 'you're good, but why are you so small.' Sort of summed up the team and the day really.

Not sure that can be entirely levelled at RD, as that team was basically a Robinson team, and he does seem to like signing a certain type of player.

Plenty of skilful individuals, but a real lack of defensive backbone and power, and leadership
  • Options

we lose, Millwall win, England lose Rugby, England lose Cricket - put your house on Palace to bear Spurs ...

Too true. Prepare for another kick in the nads.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cafctom said:

As @bazjonster said, that was just like Wigan, bar the first 5 minutes today. Men against boys. A team and a club with purpose, and ambition, versus us. That's the season over, I think.

Roland Out Today.

Season over? A bit of an overreaction I think considering we're one point outside the playoffs with two games in hand....
    Have you watched Charlton play recently or taken into account what a poor run we're in - barely above relegation form. Most of our points were gained earlier in the season...
    Yep, been watching us home and away thanks. The fact is that we are still only just outside the playoffs with a lot of games to play - so season is nowhere near over.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

As @bazjonster said, that was just like Wigan, bar the first 5 minutes today. Men against boys. A team and a club with purpose, and ambition, versus us. That's the season over, I think.

Roland Out Today.

Season over? A bit of an overreaction I think considering we're one point outside the playoffs with two games in hand....
    Have you watched Charlton play recently or taken into account what a poor run we're in - barely above relegation form. Most of our points were gained earlier in the season...
    Yep, been watching us home and away thanks. The fact is that we are still only just outside the playoffs with a lot of games to play - so season is nowhere near over.
    Oh yes it is!
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Roland Out Today.

It’s not, but even beating all of Wimbledon, Blackpool, Fleetwood, Northampton and Rochdale (four of them away) is a tall order. The last four home games are all against top six sides.

Millwall came sixth with 73 points last year (fifth place had 79). To get to 73, we need to win all the games named above and take seven from the other eight (five of them in the top six) - in practice probably 13/14 minimum as we won’t win all the five listed. It’s hard to see that based on results to date.
  • Options

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Roland Out Today.

It’s not, but even beating all of Wimbledon, Blackpool, Fleetwood, Northampton and Rochdale (four of them away) is a tall order. The last four home games are all against top six sides.

Millwall came sixth with 73 points last year (fifth place had 79). To get to 73, we need to win all the above and take seven from the other eight (five of them in the top six) - in practice probably 13/14 minimum as we won’t win all the five listed. It’s hard to see that based on results to date.
    As long as we are in reach of the play-offs I won't give up all hope.
  • Options

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Roland Out Today.

Millwall came sixth with 73 points last year (fifth place had 79). To get to 73, we need to win all the above and take seven from the other eight (five of them in the top six) - in practice probably 13/14 minimum as we won’t win all the five listed. It’s hard to see that based on results to date.
    We will bottle any play off game. It really ain't worth the agg. Get rid of the Belgian bun, the Scouse git and reboot the whole bloody server!
    We'll cross that bridge if or when we come to it.
  • Options
    My old dad would have said “Surely some of the kids are better than this lot”?
    Is that possible?
  • Options
    masicat said:

Is that possible?

No, that’s the best we have.
    Spent millions but have a third tier side to show for it.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    What was the attendance (official and actual)?

I'll count as there even though I wasn't hence the bracketed question.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So many people kiss academy players arses on here. Aribo bar one short had a worse game than Kashi, better than JFC on reflection.
  • Options

The only plus of the whole day as far as I can see was watching Pardew squirm as his time at WBA seems likely to end soon in ignominious failure
  • Options
    A sign of how low our expectations under Duchatalet have become that we were excited about beating MK Dons and resigned to a home defeat by Shewsbury. Robinson not good enough, the squad not strong enough and held together by youngsters ... and we are left clutching at the hope of a takeover by someone/anyone which seems as far away now as it did at the start of the season. And we haven't even got Daisy to take out our frustration on!
  • Options
    Went to my first game for months, just got back in having stayed down with @TCE for a few beers last night. Not read any posts or comments anywhere, so my take is ok for first 10 minutes had chances to take the lead, didn't do it.....next 80 mins or so we weren't in the game. No urgency even after we went behind, was totally underwhelmed, glad I only paid a fiver to watch that dross.....end of comment.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

So many people kiss academy players arses on here. Aribo bar one short had a worse game than Kashi, better than JFC on reflection.

Aribo isn't an academy player, he signed from Staines Town :wink:
  • Options

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Roland Out Today.

We will bottle any play off game. It really ain't worth the agg. Get rid of the Belgian bun, the Scouse git and reboot the whole bloody server!
    We'll cross that bridge if or when we come to it.
    Let's see where we are on the 6th May.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Men against boys today. Hardly surprising after four years of Duchatelet - what do we expect?

I took my Polish neighbours to the match (they've only ever been to four matches between them before). After ten minutes they said, 'you're good, but why are you so small.' Sort of summed up the team and the day really.

Not sure that can be entirely levelled at RD, as that team was basically a Robinson team, and he does seem to like signing a certain type of player.

Plenty of skilful individuals, but a real lack of defensive backbone and power, and leadership
    Agreed, except that it’s basically the old team with some Robinson/Gallen additions - acquired with virtually zero money to spend.
  • Options

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Roland Out Today.

Millwall came sixth with 73 points last year (fifth place had 79). To get to 73, we need to win all the games named above and take seven from the other eight (five of them in the top six) - in practice probably 13/14 minimum as we won’t win all the five listed. It’s hard to see that based on results to date.
    The only thing against your thesis is that the results are so unpredictable at the moment. Excluding Rotherham and Plymouth unfortunately.
    But we don’t look like a very well balanced side as you say, and we have some obvious weaknesses that are easy to exploit.

masicat said:

Is that possible?

No, that’s the best we have.
    Spent millions but have a third tier side to show for it.
    The misspending of millions by Duchâtelet & Meire is effectively what’s done us.
  • Options
    We need at least 7 wins from 13
    Aint gonna happen